Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2017, 09:16 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Anacortes , Washington
If it's any consolation we can report that with our 2007 Interstate has had similar problems with these crappy capacitance type level indicators ever since day 1. The only ones which seem to be sort of reliable are the battery life and the propane tank indicator. Fortunately our fresh water tank level is easy to eyeball by just opening a cupboard door under the sink and we keep track of the grey and black water tank levels by draining often or in dire times one can dipstick the black tank by holding down the foot pedal (but it is not a fun thing to do!)
Interstate20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:46 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
"I have been informed that when a new sending unit is installed there is a 'tab' that must be removed before the unit is functional."

That bit of information raises a red flag. When a device needs to have a tab pulled out before it starts working, the usual reason is that it has a battery. The paper or plastic tab has a tail that lies between one of the battery contacts and the battery. In other words, it acts as a battery disconnect, to prevent the device from draining the battery before it's put into use.

Assuming your tank monitor's sending units are battery-powered, one wonders how long they will last--especially in cold weather. Does your owner's manual or your dealership offer any information about how often these batteries will need to be replaced, and what type they are?
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:19 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Lake Oswego , Oregon
I'v got 2016 Lounge,and the the power curtains seem to be always failing. Airstream has replaced 3 of the Night shades and I just got my 3rd rear power screen, all while being covered by warranty. Can't imagine what this would cost once my warranty expires. These power featured curtains are a big disappointment.
joe rv guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 03:27 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paprika View Post
"I have been informed that when a new sending unit is installed there is a 'tab' that must be removed before the unit is functional."

That bit of information raises a red flag. When a device needs to have a tab pulled out before it starts working, the usual reason is that it has a battery. The paper or plastic tab has a tail that lies between one of the battery contacts and the battery. In other words, it acts as a battery disconnect, to prevent the device from draining the battery before it's put into use.

Assuming your tank monitor's sending units are battery-powered, one wonders how long they will last--especially in cold weather. Does your owner's manual or your dealership offer any information about how often these batteries will need to be replaced, and what type they are?

The tank monitor sending units are not powered by batteries inside the sending unit. They are just capacitive sensors powered from the control module.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:11 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Naperville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st time RV View Post
We bought a 2018 Interstate. It has the Multiplex Monitor and control system.. The grey water tank and the fresh water tank are empty yet the Multiplex system records them at 100% capacity..

The dealer is working on it yet ours is there first 2018 with this issue.

Has anyone heard of a solution. Is it the tank sending unit or a software issue.

Thanks
We just purchased our new 2018 AI Touring in mid November and have a similar problem with the multiplex monitor and controller, except it is with the LP monitor. The dealer filled the tank with LP but the monitor is reading "0". The water, gray, and blank tanks are reading "0" only because these tanks have never been filled and were winterized upon delivery. I will have to wait till spring to see if I have other issues with the tank monitor come spring.

The dealer has never heard of this problem before and has contacted Airstream TWICE, but no response so far.

I have another concerns regarding the 2018 AI, but I will start a new post later
Windchaser01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:43 AM   #26
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi Windchaser01,

We're sorry to learn about the issues you are having with your 2018 Interstate. Please call our customer service and technical support team at*1 (877) 596-6111, option 2 so we can learn more and help.

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:00 AM   #27
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
I will make sure to add this to my list of things to check when I take delivery of mine next week...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:33 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstate20 View Post
If it's any consolation we can report that with our 2007 Interstate has had similar problems with these crappy capacitance type level indicators ever since day 1. The only ones which seem to be sort of reliable are the battery life and the propane tank indicator. Fortunately our fresh water tank level is easy to eyeball by just opening a cupboard door under the sink and we keep track of the grey and black water tank levels by draining often or in dire times one can dipstick the black tank by holding down the foot pedal (but it is not a fun thing to do!)
+1. I don't trust any of our monitors, never have (aside from our lithium BMS, which we upfitted ourselves). Even the new monitors don't work right. In late 2015, we installed a new propane tank with a new propane monitor and it STILL did not work.

A while back, someone on the trailer forum wrote a hilarious procedural description of how tanks should be monitored. I wish I had a copy. As for the black tank, a powerful flashlight shining down the toilet can take the place of a dipstick.

Best advice for all Interstate owners, with respect to tank statuses:

(1) Get a general feel for your rig with repeated use. Even if you think your various monitors work now, there's a reasonable chance that they'll fail you in the future. Keep mental tabs on your water use and wastewater generation. I have never failed to guess my propane-remaining and been off by more than 1 gallon once I arrived at the filling station. It comes with practice.

(2) Consider installing an emergency relief valve on your gray water tank if it doesn't already have one, OR, consider modifying the faucet. For the inspiration behind this recommendation, please see the legendary B-van thread called The Flood. We recently started using our hot water heater more often and guess what?? I've actually made that exact mistake more than once, even though I know better. I've shut the sink cover with the lever in the "hot" position. Fortunately, we had installed our own overflow valve, so we didn't end up with a flooded coach.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:10 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
But dip sticks are so much fun.!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:21 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

Round Rock , Texas
I also am having same issue with multiplex monitor on 2018 Interstate. Just received reply from Airstream support (email) that it is an issue I need my dealer to look at. I'm scheduled to take it to the dealer in July, but wondering if anyone has had it diagnosed and identified a solution? ( i.e. Black/Gray/Fresh all show 100% when I know that it is not accurate ).
DancingBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:24 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Scandia , Minnesota
Maybe this explains why nothing comes out of my grey water tank even though it registers 90% full. That was the first sign of trouble. Now the entire multiplex system has failed — it will only operate the shades. Thus, here I am on a trip and have no water pump, or fan, or overhead lights, or awning. . . I know of no solution short of going home and getting the dealer to fix the problem on a 2-day turnaround before my next scheduled trip.
Cedarcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 01:04 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Scandia , Minnesota
So here is the unfortunate update - I took it into the dealer as soon as I returned from my trip - June 26. And there it sits. So much for my 4th of July plans. It is practically impossible to get any information out of the dealer, but as of yesterday the report was simply, “sorry, we are running tests but still cannot figure out what is wrong.” Thus, no prediction as to when I will see its return. Living in a climate where usage is limited to about 5 months a year, this is a sad state of affairs indeed.
Cedarcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 05:32 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Liberty Township , Ohio
Tank Monitor Malfunction & Fresh Water Tank Sensor Replacement

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...1&d=1563059854

At approximately 2,100 miles into ownership of my new 2018 AIGT Ext purchased in August of 2018 I experienced my rig's fresh, gray & black tank monitors defaulting to 100% full.

Long story short the authorized Airstream Dealer that I took my rig to identified the issues and performed all required warranty repairs.

See the attached formal dealer write-ups for any details of this episode.

Bottom line; the system worked for me and I could not have been happier with how everything was handled...stuff happens, I let the right people do their jobs and in the end I was a happy customer.
Luckysnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:48 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckysnuck View Post
See the attached formal dealer write-ups for any details of this episode.

Bottom line; the system worked for me and I could not have been happier with how everything was handled...stuff happens, I let the right people do their jobs and in the end I was a happy customer.
LUCKYSNUCK - Great to hear it worked out. I read both pages of the dealer tech write-up. While I was satisfied with the tech's logical electrical troubleshooting methodology, I was not impressed that he/she could not locate the See Level display even after searching interior/exterior. Even I know where the 2 hiding spots are without consulting the flash drive schemas. And I wasn't even searching for it. It isn't rocket science to figure out. So you ended up with a blind tech BUT had great troubleshooting skills. Definitely much better than if it is the other way around.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote