Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2017, 11:30 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Tank indicator calibrations?

I know the tank indicators (2017 Interstate) are not accurate. I'm wondering how wrong on the "conservative" side they are. My gray tank quickly reaches 2/3 and seems to stay there a longer while. I wonder if there is still a way to go when the indicator hits "red".

When do you start taking the indicators seriously?
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:20 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
When the red light starts to flicker,
my actions then get quicker!
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We generally consider ourselves to be on our last legs when the indicator for the grey and black hit the "full" mark. You may have a little room, but not much. Having your grey water back up into the unit is NOT fun! But, we have a trailer. Not sure if Interstate is better?

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
The sensors are stick on tabs. So who knows where yours is placed relative to others unless you go and find them. I personally get nervous at 3/4.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
....Having your grey water back up into the unit is NOT fun! ....
Which is exactly why my husband and I installed an emergency overflow on our gray tank, so that the water would discharge to the ground under the chassis instead of into the interior. Of course that kind of thing can't be done on a black tank, but particularly in view of the exceptionally poor design of the fold-down faucet and glass-covered sink which can allow water to flow undetected, we felt that most of the risk could be mitigated by dealing with the gray tank alone.

We achieved this by installing a sump pump check valve on top of the tank. Here's a blog post with installation instructions, and the next obvious question is -- have we ever accidentally or intentionally overflowed the tank to test it? We (husband and I) have not, but our teenage daughter did manage to initiate an uncontrolled overflow (on our first trip together, she forgot that it wasn't a house with an unlimited wastewater capacity). And yes, the valve worked like a charm.

AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE FAUCET DEFECT: TANK OVERFLOW INSTALL
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:13 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Which is exactly why my husband and I installed an emergency overflow on our gray tank, so that the water would discharge to the ground under the chassis instead of into the interior. Of course that kind of thing can't be done on a black tank, but particularly in view of the exceptionally poor design of the fold-down faucet and glass-covered sink which can allow water to flow undetected, we felt that most of the risk could be mitigated by dealing with the gray tank alone.

We achieved this by installing a sump pump check valve on top of the tank. Here's a blog post with installation instructions, and the next obvious question is -- have we ever accidentally or intentionally overflowed the tank to test it? We (husband and I) have not, but our teenage daughter did manage to initiate an uncontrolled overflow (on our first trip together, she forgot that it wasn't a house with an unlimited wastewater capacity). And yes, the valve worked like a charm.

AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE FAUCET DEFECT: TANK OVERFLOW INSTALL
Kind of like the railroads used to do. Just let the waste water run out between the tracks. What a great idea.

Bruce
PD9160 converter, Prosine 1800 inverter
2x Victron 100/30 Smart Solar, Victron Smart Shunt
AstroBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
The sensors are stick on tabs. So who knows where yours is placed relative to others unless you go and find them. I personally get nervous at 3/4.
I didn't know they might differ from unit to unit.

3/4: my AI has 1/3, 2/3, and full.
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote