Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2018, 07:56 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Keswick , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to Camerons
Switch challenges

Has anyone come up with an idea on how to stop the main switches from being turned on or off by your hips on the way out the sliding door ? Is there some type of rocker switch shield that I can buy or build ?
Old 11-27-2018, 09:34 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
I don’t seem to have problem with the switch on my lounge model since the chair back is guarding it. I googled and found a couple that may work for you...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4839.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	328664

Name:	IMG_4840.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	328665
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:10 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Those guarded switches look great; hopefully can be installed in the panel without too much headache.

Until then, maybe there are simple things you can do to minimize collision with that panel. When we are parked for the day, we slide the passenger seat forward so we have more room to exit. We also have a gallon of clean water sitting down in the foot well slid to the rear. This forces us to step in and out in a way that prevents us bumping the switch panel.
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camerons View Post
Has anyone come up with an idea on how to stop the main switches from being turned on or off by your hips on the way out the sliding door ? Is there some type of rocker switch shield that I can buy or build ?
CAMERONS - Since I do not have a GT, my setup is different and I can not fully appreciate the extent of the problem but I can envision what happens. Maybe boxing around or framing around the switches would be enough to solve it? You can fabricate out of wood (like a picture frame) or acrylic or plastic. You can even use weatherstripping foam temporarily just to try it's effectiveness.

If the side panel of that cabinet wouldn't require major disassembly to take out and put on a router table, I would router an opening for the switches and flush mount them. But that's way too much work.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:22 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Keswick , Ontario
Great ideas

If airstream has recessed the switches in the first place that would have been brilliant. There is lots of room to do so. I will try hot gluing some wood around them and see if that helps. We also have a water container however it is secured to the rear of the passenger seat mount so it doesn’t fall while driving. Putting it in front of the switches might help too.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
If airstream has recessed the switches in the first place that would have been brilliant. There is lots of room to do so. I will try hot gluing some wood around them and see if that helps. We also have a water container however it is secured to the rear of the passenger seat mount so it doesn’t fall while driving. Putting it in front of the switches might help too.
CAMERONS - should've posted this pic from our unit. Something like this ought to work, except
a bit deeper for your switches
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181128_193824.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	384.5 KB
ID:	328719  
Old 12-01-2018, 05:45 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Keswick , Ontario
Good idea

Thanks Alex. That gives me a good idea. Now if I can find some black acrylic to match I’ll build a box around the switches
Old 12-01-2018, 11:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Thanks Alex. That gives me a good idea. Now if I can find some black acrylic to match I’ll build a box around the switches
CAMERONS - if you are handy with very small detailed work and have a set of Dremmel bits, you can just buy a few feet of acrylic and fabricate yourself. Or if you have a local fabricator, have them build it. They just charge too much for fabrication labor, so I only use them if my project is way, way beyond my skills. Don't forget framing shops. They have many choices of really nice framing materials cut and fabricated to any size. Then you can get is really fancy.