Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2016, 08:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin , Texas
Surround Sound problem

Good evening everyone,
Brand new interstate owner here (downsized from a 37ft class A) and loving it. One problem however and sorry if it's a stupid question:
While driving, how do I get the DVD sound to come out of the back speakers (kenwood ones) rather than just the TV speakers? We are planning a trip to Disney and in the last trip the kids could hardly hear the movie when the AC kicked in.
Much thanks!
DaddysBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:11 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
Welcome to the Airstream world and to the forum. I'm not sure it can be done, but if it can I would like to know how as well..
Mjgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
I have to adjust the sound balance front to back depending if I'm driving the coach or parked and hanging in the living area.
On my alpine stereo the main volume knob once pushd in a few times will come to a fade adjustment which let's the fore aft balance to be changed.

My coach is a 345, with an Alpine stereo in the dash.

The adjustments you are looking for is often grouped with adjustments for treble, bass, L/ R balance, and fade front to back, etc.

Good luck with it.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:25 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
You cannot get the TV to play through the Kenwood sound system unless you do what I did in the thread below. There are two solutions but you will have to read the entire thread to see both of them.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...rs-126668.html
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:55 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
You rock. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:21 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
You're welcome. I don't understand why the factory doesn't do this. I met an Airstream rep at a local RV show and mentioned this issue to him but it obviously went nowhere.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 04-17-2016, 02:14 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
I purchased a Bluetooth 4.0 Transmitter, TaoTronics Wireless Transmitter for TV with 3.5mm Adapter& USB Dongle (High-Fidelity Stereo, Plug and Play via USB or AUX Input, Charging while Playing for TV & iPod) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GKEAQ2M..._x2-exbDGGXWGP

Connect it to the TV and then pair it to the Kenwood. The Kenwood can only be paired to one Audio device so be sure to disconnect others before you try to pair. I used double back tape to secure the transmitter to the back of the TV. Works great.
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:55 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Thanks for the link. After reading everything, I'm going to go with this option. Did you change any settings on the Kenwood's audio set up (ie dual zone vs single zone sound).

Thanks again!
Old 04-17-2016, 03:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I used jerhofer's method but didn't run that wires for a permanent installation. I just brought the audio input cable from Kenwood to the glove box. Then when I want to use the Kenwood for better sound I add a second cable from the TV and connect to cable in glove box. This only works well if you are parked. Normally I only use this setup for watching movies by DVD or BlueRay.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:27 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I used jerhofer's method but didn't run that wires for a permanent installation. I just brought the audio input cable from Kenwood to the glove box. Then when I want to use the Kenwood for better sound I add a second cable from the TV and connect to cable in glove box. This only works well if you are parked. Normally I only use this setup for watching movies by DVD or BlueRay.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
That's what I did initially but I didn't like the wires dangling everywhere. Besides, I am retired, have the time and I enjoy doing projects like this. I like trying to figure out how to make something work and it keeps me busy. I have made so many modifications to our AI that I would be hard pressed to upgrade to a newer one as I would have to start over.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:53 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
I did not make any audio changes. We use the setup to when we watch movies
Old 04-22-2016, 09:39 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Sorry for being an idiot, but I can't get the Bluetooth thing to work. I bought the Taotronics transmitter, paired it with the Kenwood DNN992 by holding down the back button for a second, but can't find where the heck you select audio source to stream it in.

I swear if I could I would burn the damn Kenwood... I've never hated an interface and owner's manual more!

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 04-22-2016, 04:56 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Yea, the Kenwood is definitely not friendly in this manner. I labored before I figured out you need to make sure your other bluetooth devices are not connected and remove them as teh active audio source from the selection menu. Look at Page 116 in the Kenwood Manual. I abbreviate
1) Press and hold the return button until the Hands Free Screen appears
2) Here is where you need to Turn Off any other AUDIO devices - It took me a long time to figure that out.
3) Make sure your BT Transmitter is in pairing mode.
4) Select Search
4) It may take a little while, but it should show up.
5) Select it to pair
6) Enter the default PIN if required.
7) Under the BT Connections Settinggs Page, select ON for Audio for the Transmitter

Good Luck. It does work, but I just about pulled my hair out dealing with the Kenwood.
Old 04-23-2016, 02:03 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
You rock. That did the trick for starting the transmission.

I did a test run plugging the transmitter into my iPhone and it worked like a charm. As for the Samsung TV's, they only gave RCA (red/white) inputs (no single audio jacks), and the transmitter didn't work with it, so I'm going to buy another set of RCA adapters to make sure they're not faulty and otherwise call Taotronics for any other tips.

At any rate, thanks a million for the advice! And yes, the Kenwood and its interactions with me have become a source of comic relief for my wife!
Old 04-23-2016, 02:48 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
There is a 3.5 mm "female" audio output on the back of my Samsung TV. I used that. Didn't need the RCA jacks. There is also a USB plug on the SAMSUNG that I used to power/charge the Transmitter. Double back taped it to the TV and it is now a permanent fixture. So all I have to do is unplug the 3.5 mm jack when I want to revert to the TV speakers.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:07 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
I totally know what you're saying but this damn Samsung doesn't seem to have a 3.5 inlet. I've attached a couple of pics in case my eyes are just missing it.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1461449238.326566.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	261263Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1461449248.943632.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	261264
Old 04-23-2016, 04:53 PM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddysBus View Post
I totally know what you're saying but this damn Samsung doesn't seem to have a 3.5 inlet. I've attached a couple of pics in case my eyes are just missing it.Attachment 261263Attachment 261264
Could be behind the mount, which appears to be made for a larger television.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:08 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddysBus View Post
I totally know what you're saying but this damn Samsung doesn't seem to have a 3.5 inlet. I've attached a couple of pics in case my eyes are just missing it.Attachment 261263Attachment 261264

Are these photos of the rear TV? It may not have the headphone jack but the the front TV does. That is where you plug in your Bluetooth device and that will send the sound signal from the TV to the radio in the Bluetooth mode. You want to use the front TV as that is the one you will be playing movies on.

You do not input sound to the TV. Even though I now have wired mine direct, I still use the headphone jack for the output. I have the same front TV as you do as I upgraded mine last fall and it has a headphone jack. There probably is a plug in it from the factory to run the headphone jacks at the second passenger seat and at the rear to the side of the rear seat. You have to unplug that plug to use your Bluetooth device. When you want to hear the TV speakers, simply unplug your Bluetooth device.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:35 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
The bad news: as some of you had suggested, I looked on the back of both TV's and didn't see the audio jack (even removed the mount), and then looked into the Samsung manual to see that they had removed that option.

Good news: bought an audio optical cable to 3.5 jack converter, and that did the trick. Will post pictures/specs of the adaptor later in case someone in the future comes across this.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:21 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Quick question, with the optical cable, are you able to use the native TV speakers or are they automatically muted when the optical cable is plugged in?