Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Houston , Texas
Sun Screens for the Interstate

Any recommendations on reflective Sun Screens for the Sprinter? I am looking for an inside type like you see folks use in their car.
Brentsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Reflectix

You can purchase this from any builder supply and cut to you wanted size. If you want to get fancy, you can trim it on the sewing machine with material of your choice.
Dave

Reflectix Inc. | The World’s Largest Manufacturer of Reflective Insulation and Radiant Barrier Products
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
dallas , Texas
I am in-process of trying to source a sun screen and found what looks to be a pretty cool product at the link below. I called and they cost about $60 ... they have models fitted for the Sprinter. I have no idea as to quality/durability.

Eclipse sun shade, eclipse shade, unshade, heatshield sun shade
kiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
The sprinter store. com or eurocampers.com, many others. The Sprinter Forum also has info. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We're thinking about getting one of these, that it might be a good alternative up front to the snap-in curtain.

Anyone have them and how are they? Doug is not interested in the reflector items, largely due to the space they would take up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Windshield Cover.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	154598  
Old 03-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
We got ours at NAPA. I think it is Part Number BK 7304970 for around $10. It is an accordion fold design so it folds up really small. Cheap, does the job, small.
Wayne
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:59 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I got mine at Dodge - Freightliner Sprinter Van: Accessories and Equipment

It's called a "three-piece" sunshade, but it's actually five pieces, one for the windshield, one for each roll-up window, and one of each triangular window on the front doors. The pieces for the doors are an exact fit and attach with velcro, the windshield section is an exact fit and stays in place without even having to fold down the visors. I still carry the original privacy curtain in the front overhead bin, but haven't used it since I bought the sunshades.

Not small or cheap, but comes with a nylon bag to store it in when you're not using it.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I got mine at Dodge - Freightliner Sprinter Van: Accessories and Equipment

It's called a "three-piece" sunshade, but it's actually five pieces, one for the windshield, one for each roll-up window, and one of each triangular window on the front doors. The pieces for the doors are an exact fit and attach with velcro, the windshield section is an exact fit and stays in place without even having to fold down the visors. I still carry the original privacy curtain in the front overhead bin, but haven't used it since I bought the sunshades.

Not small or cheap, but comes with a nylon bag to store it in when you're not using it.
Are those the reflector things that go inside? Doug doesn't want them.

Maggie
Old 03-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #9

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Are those the reflector things that go inside? Doug doesn't want them.

Maggie
Yes they are. They're not to everyone's taste, but I especially like them for when my Interstate is in storage, since they absolutely prevent anyone from seeing in. Remember, I had my Interstate burglarized the day after I bought it, partly because the privacy curtain didn't hide the dashboard, leaving the Kenwood head unit was in plain view through the passenger-side front window. So, to me the annoyance of bulk when the shades are not in use is offset by the improved security when they are. That's why I shopped around for sunshields that fit not only the windshield but the windows in the front doors as well. I leave room in the overhead compartment over the front seats to store the sunshields when they're not in use.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Yes they are. They're not to everyone's taste, but I especially like them for when my Interstate is in storage, since they absolutely prevent anyone from seeing in. Remember, I had my Interstate burglarized the day after I bought it, partly because the privacy curtain didn't hide the dashboard, leaving the Kenwood head unit was in plain view through the passenger-side front window. So, to me the annoyance of bulk when the shades are not in use is offset by the improved security when they are. That's why I shopped around for sunshields that fit not only the windshield but the windows in the front doors as well. I leave room in the overhead compartment over the front seats to store the sunshields when they're not in use.
Hmmm, good point about when in storage.

We just don't have extra storage space for something like this when on the road. There are two of us and you are just one.

Might need to have them both.

Maggie
Old 03-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
The other issue with sunscreens inside is that the heat is already inside. With the outside screens, much of the heat stays outside in the first place, IMHO.

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #12

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
The other issue with sunscreens inside is that the heat is already inside. With the outside screens, much of the heat stays outside in the first place, IMHO.

Vivian
True. However, I will stick with my inside sunscreens in spite of the less-than-ideal heat reduction. Outside screens don't provide much privacy when anyone who comes along can move or remove them. Just one more thing I have to consider since I live in the big city.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
True. However, I will stick with my inside sunscreens in spite of the less-than-ideal heat reduction. Outside screens don't provide much privacy when anyone who comes along can move or remove them. Just one more thing I have to consider since I live in the big city.
Yikes!! You're right: I can just imagine some kids thinking it is hilarious to suddenly yank off your screens and see the scramble inside! I thought they were for storage, not camping; didn't read carefully enough.

Vivian
Old 04-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Yikes!! You're right: I can just imagine some kids thinking it is hilarious to suddenly yank off your screens and see the scramble inside! I thought they were for storage, not camping; didn't read carefully enough.

Vivian
We are going to order one, and will use it for camping at least when we are staying someplace more than one night.

It will be so much neater inside and easier in the long run than the snap-on/off curtain for the front. Everyone walking by wouldn't have to look at the things we move to the front seat to make room in the back, either.

We have never had anyone bother our things outside, hard to imagine someone (even kids) yanking the outside privacy screen back. But, if they did, not much to see from up there.

They'd have to think there were some wild goings-on inside to make that even the slightest bit appealing. Not likely they would think that about 60-somethings.

And, I'd be walking back to their site with them to have a conversation with their parents.

Maggie
Old 04-02-2012, 04:49 AM   #15

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
I thought they were for storage, not camping; didn't read carefully enough.
Both, actually.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
We are going to order one, and will use it for camping at least when we are staying someplace more than one night.

It will be so much neater inside and easier in the long run than the snap-on/off curtain for the front. Everyone walking by wouldn't have to look at the things we move to the front seat to make room in the back, either.

We have never had anyone bother our things outside, hard to imagine someone (even kids) yanking the outside privacy screen back. But, if they did, not much to see from up there.

They'd have to think there were some wild goings-on inside to make that even the slightest bit appealing. Not likely they would think that about 60-somethings.

And, I'd be walking back to their site with them to have a conversation with their parents.

Maggie
Well, you know what the TinHuts say, "When the trailer's arockin', don't come aknockin!" Even [especially?] kids understand that one! And you might not be ready to run out and catch someone!!

Vivian
Old 04-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
I've been following this thread & continue to find all the Airstream info interesting.
Would it be practical to have both inside sunscreens and outside screens? You'd get both superior privacy and heat reduction. The outside screen does not look like it would take up much room. Then the curtains sold with the Interstate could stay at home.
Mockinbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Well, you know what the TinHuts say, "When the trailer's arockin', don't come aknockin!" Even [especially?] kids understand that one! And you might not be ready to run out and catch someone!!
Vivian
Old 04-03-2012, 06:28 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Houston , Texas
I ended up getting mine at Eurocampers. They work great! Inside with suction cups that hold them.
Brentsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:47 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Sunscreen

I have an exterior silver-colored sunscreen that gives you privacy by day and really does cut down on the glare and heat. One can still see out, which I like.

Of course, at night I still have to use the privacy curtain. Don't much like all the snapping and unsnapping, but that's the way it is.

Before getting the sunscreen, many times I had to leave the white indoor curtain up all day to keep the heat out. This is much better.
Voyager407 is offline   Reply With Quote