Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2023, 06:56 AM   #1
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Stovetop piezo igniter replacement?

The piezoelectric igniter in our stovetop has died because pressing the button no longer gives the snap that activates the spark. It’s a simple mechanical failure.

With that in mind, we’d like to replace it if we can. Seems like it should be relatively straightforward, but a parts search on Amazon comes up with a ton of options and I’m not sure which of them would be a good fit. Has anyone done that replacement? If so what part did you buy, and how difficult was it to swap in the new part?

Ours is a 2016 model year, in case that matters.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 08:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I have never done a replacement. But most grills have a battery powered ignitor. I would look into using that as a replacement.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 09:37 AM   #3

If I could power the igniter from the coach batteries that would be interesting, but otherwise I'd prefer to just replace the simple mechanical piezo snapper.

Old 03-25-2023, 05:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
If you can remove it, you could try taking it to a propane distributor (the ones that only sell propane and stuff that uses propane). They should have several to compare to.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 06:56 PM   #5
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
If I could power the igniter from the coach batteries that would be interesting, but otherwise I'd prefer to just replace the simple mechanical piezo snapper.
This is the OEM ignitor- choose your supplier:
https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-56096.../dp/B01MZZI5NN
https://www.campingworld.com/igniter...nge-24105.html
https://www.adventurerv.net/atwood-s...-p-32587.html?

You can confirm the model number matches the Airstream installed Dometic (part # 56096) by referencing your manual. All Airstream AIs of that era (2013-2018) came equipped with the same cooktop:

https://highskyrvparts.com/new-airst...steel-cook-top

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 11:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
This is the OEM ignitor- choose your supplier:

https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-56096.../dp/B01MZZI5NN

https://www.campingworld.com/igniter...nge-24105.html

https://www.adventurerv.net/atwood-s...-p-32587.html?

You can confirm the model number matches the Airstream installed Dometic (part # 56096) by referencing your manual. All Airstream AIs of that era (2013-2018) came equipped with the same cooktop:

https://highskyrvparts.com/new-airst...steel-cook-top

Thanks. I would never have guessed that part because the description says it is a rotary device, and the stove uses a push button to make the spark. I guess I’ll have to take the unit apart before ordering so I can understand how the linkage between the push button and that rotary component is supposed to work, and what aspect of it actually failed.

Old 03-26-2023, 12:23 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Stovetop piezo igniter replacement

I replaced the noisy piezo igniter with a battery powered 3 burner gas grill igniter. Had to ream out the mounting hole a tad, rest of installation was no different then replacing original. Works great and virtually noisless. No more waking moma in the morning with that click, click when making coffee---
lkm4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 03:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm4321 View Post
I replaced the noisy piezo igniter with a battery powered 3 burner gas grill igniter. Had to ream out the mounting hole a tad, rest of installation was no different then replacing original. Works great and virtually noisless. No more waking moma in the morning with that click, click when making coffee---
Very nice. Any details about the igniter and how you got it installed would be much appreciated. Did you remove the stove? Did you have to disconnect / reconnect the propane line? Did you simply connect the new igniter to the existing wires and use them for the sparks, or did you replace the whole thing? And so on. Thanks!

Oh, whoops, was this in an Airstream trailer? That's a different stove from what's in the vans (smaller 2-burner stove), but your experience would still be appreciated.

Old 03-26-2023, 07:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Very nice. Any details about the igniter and how you got it installed would be much appreciated. Did you remove the stove? Did you have to disconnect / reconnect the propane line? Did you simply connect the new igniter to the existing wires and use them for the sparks, or did you replace the whole thing? And so on. Thanks!

Oh, whoops, was this in an Airstream trailer? That's a different stove from what's in the vans (smaller 2-burner stove), but your experience would still be appreciated.
Rocinante, I checked our shed this evening to see if I kept our LPG unit after our induction cooktop upgrade but I finally gave up and threw it away. I was going to ship it to you for a cigar at some point of a meet up on our travels!
StogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 07:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm4321 View Post
I did the same. Uses a single AA battery I think. Better spark than the old turn and clank piezo lighter. It's just a standard electric sparker used by many outdoor BBQs. Fit into the hole vacated by the noisy piezo lighter with little effort. The wires to each burner plugged straight in.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 06:53 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Stovetop piezo igniter replacement

Quote:

The 3 burner BBQ igniter ( if your stove has 2 burners order 2 burner igniter) has wires attached, remove top of stove, each burner has a tab that wires plug into, pretty much plug and play. Can order from Amazon. Actually I learned about this repacment, as with most everything Airstream, on this forum.
lkm4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:00 AM   #12

Thanks, folks. As noted, the stove is different on the trailer vs. the van, so clearances are different, and removing the cooktop from the counter will be different vs opening the top of the stove. I know, because I used to have an Airstream trailer. I'll take a closer look at the guts of our 2-burner push-button stove and see whether I can easily replace it with either something similar or a battery-powered solution. The battery-powered solution only holds water if I can easily get to where the battery is stored in the igniter for annual replacements, so I'll see what I find.

Old 04-10-2023, 09:53 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2010 22' Sport
Aptos , CA
I have a 2010 Sport trailer with the original SMEV stovetop, which has a single push button piezo igniter for the 2 burners. The piezo generates sparks at each burner, but it has never reliably lit the larger burner. It's also very loud. I decided to try to switch to a battery operated igniter to see if it would generate a stronger spark. I found that most battery igniters are packaged in a relatively large box (about 1.5"x1.5"x3") with the button integral to the box. No way this would fit in the space in my stove. Instead I found that some BBQs use a remotely mounted box activated by a simple push button (the button is connected to the box with some long wires). The push button is almost exactly the same form factor as the original piezo igniter button on my stove. I installed it this weekend and it works great - stronger spark, and multiple sparks per second as long as the button is pushed.

If you search for igniters for Weber 210 or 310 BBQs, you'll find lots of choices. I happened to choose this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081ZYPXXL

Here are some pics. I just discarded the spark plug that came with the new igniter and connected the new igniter box to the two original spark plugs on my stove. The button mounted into my stove after a few minutes of filing to enlarge the hole slightly. I just mounted the igniter box up and out of the way under the stove.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2558.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	430040   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2559.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	430041  

Click image for larger version

Name:	51msmwNJhgL._AC_SX679_.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	430042  
jrowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 10:04 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
That’s an interesting replacement and Thanks for the post.

Our piezo ignitors on our SMEV two-burner range also has never worked reliably…in fact,…it won’t light either burner if the stove has not been used lately.

We use an ordinary BBQ lighter to ignite it…. after the stove has been used …a RE-lite will work on the piezo’s… Just not first-thing in the morning.

We’ve gotten used-to it and so I’ll not likely do anything about it….just keep using the BBQ ignitor we keep in the little rack above the stove.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 04:14 PM   #15

Thanks again for the input on this.

Went back to the van today and gave the Dometic / SMEV stovetop a hard look. Turns out the piezo igniter is built inside an enclosed section of the unit and is not not easily accessible. We don't want to remove the stove and try to get inside it because the line is copper and we don't want to create any leaks we'd have to fix later. So, we'll be using a butane lighter to light the burners until / unless we someday replace that propane stovetop. OTOH, if we ever decide to replace it, we'll probably have the gas line capped and go with a 2-burner induction unit.