Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2020, 09:37 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Piedmont , California
Stereo Upgrade

Has anyone added an Amplifier and new Speakers to the Interstate? Where is best place to locate the amplifier? Wiring locations?
crowltb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:18 PM   #2
van guru

1994 28' Excella
Hood River , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowltb View Post
Has anyone added an Amplifier and new Speakers to the Interstate? Where is best place to locate the amplifier? Wiring locations?
We produce adapters that allow you to put a larger speaker in the cab doors. Also subwoofer panels for the openings in lower wall behind the driver. If you use a powered sub like the Alpine PWE-S8 then there is no need for mounting a separate amplifier. The OEM head unit has enough wattage to run some larger door speakers and a powered sub will augment the base and put less demand on the head unit. You can get input for the sub by using the wires that go to the center dash speaker. Most folks disable it when upgrading their audio system. It's a great solution that we have implemented 100's of times for our customers.

I would be happy to answer any further questions you may have. Please call or write.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
541 490 5098
Hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:30 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Piedmont , California
Rear Speakers

I am looking to upgrade the speakers in the camper itself, not the cab. Do those rear speakers run back to the dashboard unit or is there an intermediate amp somewhere? What do you mean when you say “OEM head unit”?
crowltb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:58 PM   #4
van guru

1994 28' Excella
Hood River , Oregon
Sorry for the confusion.

OEM headunit refers to the Original Equipment Manufacturer dash mounted audio system component.

I do not know if there is an intermediate amp for the house speakers. I sort of doubt it.

We highly recommend installing 3M Thinsulate Sm400L or SM600L acoustic/thermal insulation behind speakers to reduce the possibility of resonance in nearby panels. It will improve sound quality.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
541 490 5098
Hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 05:28 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
I replaced the door speakers with 6.5’s using Hein’s adapters, head unit and rear overhead speakers (all Kenwood). The stock AI sub is powered and can be adjusted under the jumper seat. So far I haven’t felt like I really needed any more power.
Schmitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:06 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitte View Post
I replaced the door speakers with 6.5’s using Hein’s adapters, head unit and rear overhead speakers (all Kenwood). The stock AI sub is powered and can be adjusted under the jumper seat. So far I haven’t felt like I really needed any more power.

Hein ~

Can I just make the visit to lovely Hood River, and ask y’all to do the install upgrades?
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote