Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2018, 04:39 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Birmingham , Alabama
Step Malfunction on 2018 AI

Prior to adding this thread, i search the data base for some solutions.
My step was on lock (Red Button top portion pressed in). This allowed my step to stay out when parked under shore power and not driving.

I did not turn off the lock but did take my AI for a drive today. The step went in ok.

Now the step won't come out. So I read the manual and follow the instruction word-for-word. Did not come out.

I read the data base and their was something about a magnet on the door. I have not been able to find the magnet. Does someone know where it is located?

Any other advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

Proud new owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Tommy Bahama
Previously owned a 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 ft.
sthrngary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:14 PM   #2
Njg
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Columbia , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthrngary View Post
Prior to adding this thread, i search the data base for some solutions.

My step was on lock (Red Button top portion pressed in). This allowed my step to stay out when parked under shore power and not driving.

I did not turn off the lock but did take my AI for a drive today. The step went in ok.

Now the step won't come out. So I read the manual and follow the instruction word-for-word. Did not come out.

I read the data base and their was something about a magnet on the door. I have not been able to find the magnet. Does someone know where it is located?

Any other advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

When I had my AI this happened regularly. Don’t know about a permanent fix, but make sure the step lock is off, then start the van, shut it down and it would work properly... for a while.
Njg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:18 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
My 2017 has same issue which turned out to be a bad magnetic switch which I replaced after calling Airstream and describing the problem and requesting a new replacement switch. They sent the new switch for no charge. It was easily replaced so I did not need to go in for service. No problems since. There are several threads about this problem, if you use the search function. The switch is the small black thing mounted on the bottom of the inside of the door opening towards the back of the opening which is aligned with a magnetic piece mounted on the inside of the door. Their are pictures on some of the threads you can find using the search function.
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Do you hear the motor running when you open and close the door?
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:29 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
I do not. here the motor. I do here the magnet click.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
Do you hear the motor running when you open and close the door?

Old 02-11-2018, 09:36 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Venice , Florida
Step Malfunction

When the engine is on the step will not come out with the sliding door open. i guess it is a safety feature. You need to turn the engine off for the step to come out. you may need to close the side door and open again.
hope this helps.
Many strange things to learn about on the Interstate. Still love it though!
glrosenbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:34 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Time to replace fuses

Something tells me this fix is very simple and I am just missing something. I am on my way to get a few fuses to see if that is the problem.

Magnet clicks when pressing the step lock button down. it also works when using an outside magnet. The manual is pretty clear on how to reset the door step. Again, I just feel this is something super simple that I am missing.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:35 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Not the fuse, not the magnet that I can see. I don't hear the electric engine attempting to push the step out. I will call Airstream Tomorrow for Tech support and since it is raining cats and dogs here, start drinking heavily. I will keep the board informed of my progress.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:15 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bozeman , Montana
Step switch fix

Hello sthrngary: search my user neame (archertc) and you'll find two threads, one reads "AI Step - old problem ..." in which I include a photo of the switch. The other reads "Interstate Step - Magnetic Switch Fix" in which I describe the solution for my step problem

I replaced the magnetic switch months ago and it has worked perfectly since.

I can't address other possible issues with the step but if you believe it is the switch feel free to contact me if you have unanswered questions.

David
(archertc)
ArcherTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:06 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Dayton , Montana
Step probably not broken.

When you start the engine with the step in the "hold" out position it retracts the step and it will not extend again until it is reset. You should read the manual about this but basically shut the door, turn the key to the full on position with the switch in the "step" position for 30 seconds and then turn the key off. Open the door and the step should withdraw again. It is designed to disable the step when you have it on "hold" out position and you start the motor. It thinks you are driving away with the step in the "hold" out position and penalizes you for being a dumb ___.

I have become quite good at it.
Pez Vela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:38 AM   #11
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi sthrngary,

We're sorry to learn about the issue with your step you described in your 2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate. Please call our customer service and technical support team at*1 (877) 596-6111, option 2 so we can learn more and help.

Thanks.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:09 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Airstream Customer Service is the BEST

I called Airstream this morning. Went through the tests. They recommended to go to a dealer. My local dealer can't see me until March 12 and I have to drop off the coach. A dealer outside of Birmingham, AL will fit me in for a diagnostic visit this week but if parts are needed, I will have to wait.

I have a local "RV Service on Wheels" tech that might be able to look at it this week prior to a road trip.

When issues happen and they happen all the time, I attempt to do my due diligence before I ever attempt to go to a Airstream dealer for service. Thank you Airstream for checking up with me on this Forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi sthrngary,

We're sorry to learn about the issue with your step you described in your 2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate. Please call our customer service and technical support team at*1 (877) 596-6111, option 2 so we can learn more and help.

Thanks.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:33 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Reseting the mechanical Step

Pez Vela:

My first approach at the very beginning of this process was to use the manual. The reset process is located for the 2017 Airstream Interstate on page 6-5 of the User Manual. On the 2018 Airstream Interstate which now uses "Multiplex Wiring" and Firefly switchers/touch-screens, it is located on page 6-5 as well. I then used this Airforums.com blog to go through checking the magnet switch indicated on the "Wiring Chart" in the manual. This let to checking the fuses which are F10 & F12 under the drivers seat. I then call airstream who suggested to take it to a dealer which my first available appointment is March 12 and will have to leave my coach there.

I still feel there is something I can do to fix this or check the issues. Thank you for reaching out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez Vela View Post
When you start the engine with the step in the "hold" out position it retracts the step and it will not extend again until it is reset. You should read the manual about this but basically shut the door, turn the key to the full on position with the switch in the "step" position for 30 seconds and then turn the key off. Open the door and the step should withdraw again. It is designed to disable the step when you have it on "hold" out position and you start the motor. It thinks you are driving away with the step in the "hold" out position and penalizes you for being a dumb ___.

I have become quite good at it.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:44 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Problem Solved on Malfunction of the motorized step

All roads lead to one place, a faulty magnet one the door. Many folks told me that was the case but I missed only little issue. I forgot to both use touch the magnet with another magnet AND tap the magnet with a hammer.

BOOM the step came out. But still did not work when I closed and opened the door again. So I called Airstream Warrenty, they have a new magnet coming my way. I called my mobile RV mechanic, he will come and fix it when the part comes in.

Benefit to the Airstream Consumer. 1) I don't have wait a month just to have a diagnosis given, 2) I don't have to leave my AI at the dealer for two weeks to get a part. 3) I can get the step out if I really need to with magnet and hammer in the mean time.

Special thanks to David aka ( archerTC) for being dead on.

Gary T.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:42 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
Very helpful thread, because I'm having exactly same symptoms. Next time I visit the van I'll look at the magnet.
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:48 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
To All:

My mobile RV service guy puts the new magnet in on Friday. You got it, the step works fine now. CRAZY. I love RVing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TayaraTravel View Post
Very helpful thread, because I'm having exactly same symptoms. Next time I visit the van I'll look at the magnet.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:32 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Bozeman , Montana
Seems like a common problem, have to question the quality of the original Airstream magnetic switch [emoji853].
ArcherTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:35 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
I Tend to Agree

Archer:

I tend to agree on your quality concern below. That being said, compared to the competitors, pretty good "Class B". All of them including Airstream for the money should be much better from a quality stand point.

For me personally, any fix that does not stop my family from going out to where I want to go, I can somewhat live with. We don't like it, but we can live with it for a time.

From an Airstream Tech Warranty service, I rate all warranty on how they handle our issue. Top scores for Airstream on this one.

Side note, I almost bought an Entegra Anthem 45 ft bus. I thought it was the best that money could buy at my price point. I decided not too because of the quality issues and lack of leadership at their companies top. I can live with a magnet effecting the step, I can't live with really bad steering for two years. Just an example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcherTC View Post
Seems like a common problem, have to question the quality of the original Airstream magnetic switch [emoji853].