Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2022, 07:39 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St auguatine , Florida
Standing Water in Shower

Mystery ( to me) continues now that I am back on the road. The bathroom of my 2018 AI has standing water despite having emptied the tanks! In fact, the water level has risen. How can this be— haven’t even used the shower or sink in there and even if the tank gauge is completely off, water came out when I dumped.
One thing to note— I removed the auto drain from the gray tank last year because of a malfunction and have been relying on gravity and the macerator to empty the gray tank.
Ideas?
carpenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 08:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Standing Water in Shower

My shower drain did that once. Turned out the “trapless” drain was simply stuck. The trick was to apply a short burst of pressure to pop it open. In my case , I used an ear syringe that I had clipped the tip off. Stuck the opening down into the drain. (With screen removed) Popped it with my open palm…and whoosh…the drain opened and now I have another “tool” in my “utility” drawer.
Old 06-19-2022, 03:35 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
Get up on the roof and check the cap on the bathroom vent. Also check the sealer that surrounds the unit mounting. Plastic under constant sunlight doesn't last forever..
Old 06-19-2022, 01:17 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben322 View Post
Get up on the roof and check the cap on the bathroom vent. Also check the sealer that surrounds the unit mounting. Plastic under constant sunlight doesn't last forever..
Thanks—I would never have thought to look up for the issue Unfortunately/fortunately, the cap and seal look to be doing their job although now that I know to watch after them, I will keep an eye on the vents. Any other way dead? It’s just so odd to have NOT used the shower or sink and yet have inches of standing water appear. Shower drain s clearly clogged too since even with a plunger the water is not going down.
Old 06-19-2022, 01:25 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
My shower drain did that once. Turned out the “trapless” drain was simply stuck. The trick was to apply a short burst of pressure to pop it open. In my case , I used an ear syringe that I had clipped the tip off. Stuck the opening down into the drain. (With screen removed) Popped it with my open palm…and whoosh…the drain opened and now I have another “tool” in my “utility” drawer.
Thank you! I tried a plunger and slid it to the side of the drain after pushing it down ( so it wouldn’t suck up). Can’t say I have a clue about the inner workings even after reviewing the so called manual but will keep trying. Very strange to have empty gray & black tanks, no shower/sink use and yet standing water! Thank you for your advice.
Old 06-19-2022, 01:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Salem , New Hampshire
Hi carpenc.

Have you checked that they're no leaks in back of the toilet or under the toilet? Put a few paper towels in that area just to check so that you can check these off the list of things checked.

There are two stink pipes. One for the grey water tank and this one runs right in back of the of the sink area and accessible from the back. Just unscrew that panel and check back there. The second is the black tank stink pipe that is more toward the back of the toilet.

I really don't see water water coming from either of these stink pipes and ending up in your shower though.

Was the bathroom fan left open by chance during a rain storm? That tank gauge isn't completely accurate either and since you removed the auto drain valve from the grey water side means that the drain water is flowing completely downward toward the macerator pump freely.

Actually, this could be the problem as the drain water could be building up moving upward the drain and the lowest point being the the shower area as there is no valve closed to stop the water. Just a guess.
StogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 02:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenc View Post
How can this be— haven’t even used the shower or sink in there and even if the tank gauge is completely off, water came out when I dumped.
Have you filled your fresh water tank and been using your kitchen sink?
Old 06-19-2022, 02:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by StogieMan View Post
Hi carpenc.

Have you checked that they're no leaks in back of the toilet or under the toilet? Put a few paper towels in that area just to check so that you can check these off the list of things checked.

There are two stink pipes. One for the grey water tank and this one runs right in back of the of the sink area and accessible from the back. Just unscrew that panel and check back there. The second is the black tank stink pipe that is more toward the back of the toilet.

I really don't see water water coming from either of these stink pipes and ending up in your shower though.

Was the bathroom fan left open by chance during a rain storm? That tank gauge isn't completely accurate either and since you removed the auto drain valve from the grey water side means that the drain water is flowing completely downward toward the macerator pump freely.

Actually, this could be the problem as the drain water could be building up moving upward the drain and the lowest point being the the shower area as there is no valve closed to stop the water. Just a guess.

No, sorry after thinking about it the auto drain valve is past the grey tank so this wouldn't make sense unless your grey water sensors or tank monitor are not working.

Only other thing that I can think of is that you might've dropped something accidentally into the shower drain and it's clogged but again where is the water coming from if you haven't used your shower or bathroom sink.
Old 06-20-2022, 03:33 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Quote:
Have you filled your fresh water tank and been using your kitchen sink?

Yes I have used them but minimally. I’m “ going in” to work on all this in about a half hour. Thank you for your great suggestions. I’m clueless on all of this. I think your point about the auto drain removal is a good one although I emptied the system again yesterday and water didn’t go down in shower In fact:
This morning I woke up to water pooled not just in the shower but also along the outside from the bathroom door to the driver’s position. I had not used toilet or shower or pump all night.
I wish Airstream supplied a good, detailed diagram of the toilet/waste and shower systems. It would make finding the problem a lot easier.
Old 06-20-2022, 04:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
carpenc,

Attached are some diagrams from the parts book as I find them a little more useful. These are for a 2018 AIGT like yours. Hope this helps you kinda figure it out.

I also think that you might have sprung a leak somewhere. Take the bottom panels off on the bottom near the black tank and also check around your water pump area. You might as well check in back of the bottom cabinet drawers on the sink side as well. Follow the diagrams and check where you can around fittings. Again check the the plumbing in back of the toilet as well.

You might be dealing with two issues - a leak and a clog. Definitely got me curious.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 6.32.40 PM.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	417962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 6.34.22 PM.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	417963  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 6.35.01 PM.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	417964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 6.35.25 PM.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	417965  

Old 06-20-2022, 05:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
You said that you removed the auto drain and left it open. Have you checked under there again to make sure that it hasn't made its way shut again?

Worth taking a look. Open and close it. If you hear gushing water, it was closed.
Old 06-29-2022, 09:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
Any update on this?
Old 07-17-2022, 10:18 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Quote:
Any update on this?

Yes—sort of I’m sorry, I hate having trouble with the van so much so that I tend to try things and then give up for a while.
I am camping again now .
I went back to look at the diagrams and advice you sent —thank you! And after trying different set up’s found:
—leaks constantly behind the toilet when hooked up to outside water source
—when disconnected to outside water source and using on board water tank, leaks behind toilet intermittently, namely when pump is turned on
—no signs of significant leakage ( dripping etc) under the van
—Shower drain appeared to clear after I dumped which means the sensor in gray tank were/are not working because I had “emptied “ before noticing the back up some weeks ago.
Drain appears clear now after more thorough (ignored sensor reading) dump

I managed through the last trip by stuffing a towel against the pipes behind the toilet and using the on board water source, turning on the pump only for the moments I needed it. That got me through that trip. Now camping again and wondering if this is a “simple” case of needing to repair/replace visible pipes behind toilet or perhaps that AND water pressure regulation issue…ideas? Thank you do much for your help
Old 07-17-2022, 10:42 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There is a valve to tighten behind your toilet, which may be the source of your leak?

They tend to loosen over time, but finger tightening fixes the leak.

I’ve had that a couple of times, also a pipe that cracked from cold temps and had to be replaced.

Maggie
Old 07-19-2022, 09:57 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenc View Post
Yes—sort of I’m sorry, I hate having trouble with the van so much so that I tend to try things and then give up for a while.
I am camping again now .
I went back to look at the diagrams and advice you sent —thank you! And after trying different set up’s found:
—leaks constantly behind the toilet when hooked up to outside water source
—when disconnected to outside water source and using on board water tank, leaks behind toilet intermittently, namely when pump is turned on
—no signs of significant leakage ( dripping etc) under the van
—Shower drain appeared to clear after I dumped which means the sensor in gray tank were/are not working because I had “emptied “ before noticing the back up some weeks ago.
Drain appears clear now after more thorough (ignored sensor reading) dump

I managed through the last trip by stuffing a towel against the pipes behind the toilet and using the on board water source, turning on the pump only for the moments I needed it. That got me through that trip. Now camping again and wondering if this is a “simple” case of needing to repair/replace visible pipes behind toilet or perhaps that AND water pressure regulation issue…ideas? Thank you do much for your help
Thanks for the follow up. Yup, Maggie is correct, go around tightening some of those valve connections. I had the same problem with leaking behind the toilet but when I replaced the toilet, I also redid the lines in back of the toilet and no more leaks. The water line is is easily accessible from the back of the toilet to the back area right above the water pump area. I would check these connections out and not wait too long. Small leak can lead to a bigger problem down the road.
Old 07-22-2022, 11:40 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Thank you. I’m wondering too if the water pressure regulator is not working ..? I say this because the standing water issue occurs more rapidly when I am connected to outside water. But that would mean that outside water connection pressure is alway pushing water through the pipes even when none of the interior systems are turned on/engaged. Is that how the system works? Just curious as I try to learn more about my now 4 year old van! The booklets have never been useful to me —tend to learn trial by fire. Thank you so much for your patience.
Old 07-22-2022, 12:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
In my Interstate, I have had water standing in my shower only when my grey tank is full.

I have had water on the floor and around the toilet when there has been a valve leak or cracked pipe behind the toilet.

If you have tightened the valves behind your toilet and water is still coming from behind there it sounds like there may be a cracked pipe.

The water issue may be worse when connected to city water because that pressure is constant whereas when drawing from your own tanks and using the pump the pressure is intermittent…as in, only when you open a spigot or flush your toilet.

Sounds to me like you need to see a service technician.

Good luck,

Maggie
Old 07-23-2022, 07:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Yes, with city water connected there is always pressure in the system. Chances are that pressure is higher than the pressure supplied by the water pump. So the leak (from the fitting behind the toilet, or a hole in a pipe, or ???) would be constant and likely be a larger flow with city water.

A pressure regulator simply keeps the city water being fed to the van from being excessive. It does not intended supply pressure into the system only when a valve is open.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 07:18 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2021 Atlas
Charlotte , North Carolina
Toilet leaks can also be th e flush valve. That is where the pressurized water is stopped and only released by the pedal. Over time, they wear because they are plastic and they get stomped on regularly.. simple and easy replacement. Wrap a paper towel around it for a day and see if it doesn’t get wet.