Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2020, 02:40 PM   #1
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Sprinter questions - TPMS and valve stems

Later this week we're picking up our 2016 Airstream Interstate, so I got to thinking about TPMS and dually valve stems.

With most modern vehicles there's a TPMS built right in. I have read, however that due to DOT loopholes for vans, Mercedes and Airstream do not provide this in the Interstate. However, I have a thought: Did Mercedes by any chance include the head unit that responds to TPMS sensors, which could report them right on the dash, or do I have to put yet another piece of hardware on the dash so we can see tire pressure and temp once we install sensors? If not, we could go with a full TPMS solution like the one from TST, which we had on our previous Airstream trailer.

Regarding the dually setup in the rear, can we get extra long valve stems on the tires, inside and out, that make it easy to access those stems for pressure adjustments and addition of TPMS cap sensors? We don't want to add valve stem extensions which can generate leaks, just wondering whether anyone sells good, dependable, longer valve stems that can make life easier. I've seen folks recommend double-headed air chucks like the truckers use, was just hoping for a simpler, more elegant, solution. Speaking of double-headed chucks, we already have a great little VIAIR tire pump with a screw-on schrader adapter. So is there a product where one end looks like a valve stem that could connect with while the other has a double-headed chuck on it?

Thanks for thoughts and additional ideas based on your Sprinter experiences.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:33 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Traverse City , Michigan
Congratulations on your upcoming purchase. I am month 4 into my 2016 and had the same questions on tpms.

Wether yours is like mine, the inner dually tires have a plastic extension valve on them. I took mine to the local tire shop and had them check pressures and during that visit drilled the agent. He did not recommend metal extensions (some have on Air Forum recommended a switch). If you switch to metal extensions make sure the inner piston is plastic. They also did not recommend the valve stem tpms systems. They feel metal extensions and valve stem tpms put too much strain on the value stem in the rim.

One recommendation I would have for you is have the alignment checked unless the original owner already did.
Heckler56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:24 PM   #3

Thanks! Alignment is supposedly checked and fine, but we'll check ourselves to be sure, as I understand that with this unit misalignment is a great way to quickly ruin expensive tires.

Old 09-07-2020, 07:44 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
I have had the TST 507 flow through valves installed on the duallyvalve metal valve stems. There are other good options out there as well. I have been very happy with this combo. I have to change the batteries about every 1.5 years. It takes a bit longer to add air (which is very infrequently) because the flow through sensors restrict the airflow. I wouldn’t have a vehicle with duals without a pressure monitor.
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:29 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Western , Tennessee
The Borg brand dually inner metal valve stems come with a support. The support fits in the opening of the outer wheel. Just takes a little more effort when installing to be sure one of the opening aligns properly
TN Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:06 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Thumbs up

I agree that metal Borg extensions work well! 4 years of use w/o any leaks or problems while using them!
Old 09-08-2020, 09:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Princess View Post
The Borg brand dually inner metal valve stems come with a support. The support fits in the opening of the outer wheel. Just takes a little more effort when installing to be sure one of the opening aligns properly
Thanks for this, as I had not heard of this brand / type before. I will definitely look into it.

Old 09-08-2020, 10:27 AM   #8
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
I got this kit: https://yourtireshopsupply.com/produ...yvalve-dl1spal

And this TPMS:

https://tsttruck.com/507-series-6-rv...r-display.html

Worth the peace of mind... There might be other solutions available now... but at the time, that was the most recommended...

Oh... and the repeater is not needed in our rigs... I had it installed for awhile and there was no difference with it on or off.... so I removed it. One less thing draining the batteries. System works fine just with the main unit's range.

And one more thing... you can save by going with the gray scale display... color display is really not needed. I see that a gray scale display is now an option at a lower price... that was not available when I purchased mine.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 01:07 PM   #9

Thanks! We're definitely getting a TPMS solution. Our MB dealer thinks the van already has TPMS receiver in the dash, so when we take it in next week for a slightly early 40K mile service (quite expensive, "B" service), he's going to look it over and see whether it would be possible for him to just add sensors to the wheels that will work with the receiver he thinks we already have in the dash. If that doesn't resolve the issue, we'll get a TST system for sure. We'll figure it out and report back here.

Old 09-08-2020, 03:06 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Traverse City , Michigan
Curious what the 40k service is and how much $. For me I will have to travels 3-4 hours one way to get service.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:53 PM   #11

Any MB dealer that handles Sprinter service can tell you exactly what's included in a "B" level service visit for one of our Mercedes Beasties. I'd tell you if I knew, but I can't remember all the details. I should perhaps mention that a "B" service includes everything from the "A" service one is supposed to get at 20K miles, plus a bunch of other things.

It's possible other dealers' prices will differ, but our local dealer's price for that service visit is $2,500.

If it had been my unit from Day 1, I might squirm around and try to find ways to save a few bucks by doing some stuff myself and so on, but we figure this is a good way to find and resolve anything that might be going on with a van we don't really know yet, before it can become a serious issue.

They told me Sprinters were more expensive to own, but did I listen?

Old 09-08-2020, 04:17 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
You should ask for and receive a printout of what's included in both an A or B service from your dealer beforehand. Attached is a breakdown of the services on our 2015 lounge which is on a 14 chassis.

$2500 is a bit high for what I pay for a B service. But then I reduce the cost of servicing by replacing the things that I easily can do myself, ie cabin air filter, engine air filter, adding my own DEF, windshield fluid, wipers etc.

Also, Freightliner dealers can also perform both A & B service on your MB as well if you have one near you. They might do the work for less $$.

I have a 90K service coming up, so I may have a particulate filter to replace as well.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf A & B Service Schedule Items.pdf (1.90 MB, 66 views)
Old 09-08-2020, 04:29 PM   #13

Thanks. We'll definitely get a full list of everything they do for the "B" service, as we want to add that to our maintenance records. I suspect we could cut the cost a little by replacing the cabin filter and the air filter, which are pretty easy to do. We know where the DEF spout is under the hood, and that reservoir is nearly full, so that's good. We will definitely keep the Frieightliner option in mind when we're out on the road, but our nearest MB dealer is conveniently located, so we'll use them for now. Thanks!

Old 09-10-2020, 11:50 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Thanks Rig Rat, I’ve been looking for the service schedule for a while now.

$2500-ouch. Guess we’ll be paying attention to what we can do at home for that one.

Does anyone do the EGR valve cleaning? I haven’t seen much on it and I suspect we might have to worry more about it in the midwest with the Bio-diesel blends.
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:56 AM   #15

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post
...Does anyone do the EGR valve cleaning? I haven’t seen much on it and I suspect we might have to worry more about it in the midwest with the Bio-diesel blends.
I am... will document next time I do mine. I only have 16K miles in my rig... but I want to keep this as part of my normal maintenance...

I have only taken my AI to the Mercedes dealer for the install of the metal valve stems and warranty issues...

I am doing all the services myself. And doing oil changes more frequently than required...
WBCCI #26769
Old 09-10-2020, 02:14 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post
Thanks Rig Rat, I’ve been looking for the service schedule for a while now.

$2500-ouch. Guess we’ll be paying attention to what we can do at home for that one.

Does anyone do the EGR valve cleaning? I haven’t seen much on it and I suspect we might have to worry more about it in the midwest with the Bio-diesel blends.
I've cleaned mine 2x at 30k each time and am due to clean it again here shortly at 90K. It's not complicated and I watched several youtube video's before attempting it. This time around I'm going to use carburetor cleaner instead of brake cleaner. I did buy a new gasket the first time, but found it wasn't necessary. Here's one I viewed;
Old 09-10-2020, 04:31 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Thanks! We're definitely getting a TPMS solution. Our MB dealer thinks the van already has TPMS receiver in the dash, so when we take it in next week for a slightly early 40K mile service (quite expensive, "B" service), he's going to look it over and see whether it would be possible for him to just add sensors to the wheels that will work with the receiver he thinks we already have in the dash. If that doesn't resolve the issue, we'll get a TST system for sure. We'll figure it out and report back here.
Most interested in this being possible. All the lighter Sprinter 1500 and 2500 models with single rear wheels come standard with built-in TPMS. Only the Sprinter 3500’s with dual rear wheels in USA don’t have built in TPMS because it’s not required by USA DOT regulations. Mercedes really needs to step up to installing this important safety system in all Sprinters. Ford just made TPMS on all 2020 Transits, including the dually models.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 06:50 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
I am... will document next time I do mine. I only have 16K miles in my rig... but I want to keep this as part of my normal maintenance...

I have only taken my AI to the Mercedes dealer for the install of the metal valve stems and warranty issues...

I am doing all the services myself. And doing oil changes more frequently than required...
Have you installed a Futomoto or EZ Drain valve to make the oil changes less messy?

I am also wondering if anyone uses a fuel additive like Lucas injector cleaner/lubricant? I did on all my powerstroke diesels and never had injector or egr buildup.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:27 PM   #19

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler56 View Post
Have you installed a Futomoto or EZ Drain valve to make the oil changes less messy?

I am also wondering if anyone uses a fuel additive like Lucas injector cleaner/lubricant? I did on all my powerstroke diesels and never had injector or egr buildup.
I am not using any additives.

Currently using a Valvo Max drain valve. I was tired of making a mess on the driveway... that oil from a diesel engine is the worst one to clean of the concrete, skin, etc.

WBCCI #26769
Old 09-10-2020, 08:09 PM   #20
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Most interested in this being possible. All the lighter Sprinter 1500 and 2500 models with single rear wheels come standard with built-in TPMS. Only the Sprinter 3500’s with dual rear wheels in USA don’t have built in TPMS because it’s not required by USA DOT regulations. Mercedes really needs to step up to installing this important safety system in all Sprinters. Ford just made TPMS on all 2020 Transits, including the dually models.
I am very I interested in this as well. We ordered a 2021 GT and would love to know if sensors can be programmed to the Mercedes computer for in dash monitoring. I know the new AI 19s have TPMS from the factory but as you say the 24 ft models apparently still don’t.
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote