Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2019, 09:38 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Early Sprinters have several options that work well...not us.
WACHUKO - While typing this response, I received email from Barnett Davies of iCarsoft based on my VIN#:
"Yes,CR Pro and MB V2.0 can work on your sprinter."

But I sent him another email just now asking which of the 2 has better functionality for my 2017 Sprinter? If the MB V2.0 is better, then I will buy the Sprinter-specific. If they work identically for my Sprinter, then I will pay extra to get the CR Pro since it is a multi-car unit that I can use with my other cars.

Quote:
Contact surface nice and clean? Rest of harness in good condition?
WACHUKO - I was afraid to ask that question for fear TITUS might be insulted - that would be a rookie mistake, yeah? He has done this before
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:59 AM   #22
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
WACHUKO - While typing this response, I received email from Barnett Davies of iCarsoft based on my VIN#:
"Yes,CR Pro and MB V2.0 can work on your sprinter."

But I sent him another email just now asking which of the 2 has better functionality for my 2017 Sprinter? If the MB V2.0 is better, then I will buy the Sprinter-specific. If they work identically for my Sprinter, then I will pay extra to get the CR Pro since it is a multi-car unit that I can use with my other cars.

WACHUKO - I was afraid to ask that question for fear TITUS might be insulted - that would be a rookie mistake, yeah? He has done this before
The specific questions are. Are they now able to:
  • Identify wheel speed sensor failures
  • Have the ability to cycle ABS during brake fluid changes
  • Force DEF regeneration
  • Read SRS, Stability Control, Airbags and Transmission codes

That is what we really need it to do... like I said, generic OBDII readers will provide a lot of information and not cost an arm and a leg (I have a 22.00 reader that works great! )... it is when you need to troubleshoot deeper that you need the tool to access specific Mercedes code... trying to avoid paying top dollar for something I already have (see update to other post on the Spare Parts Thread)
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:54 AM   #23
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
The specific questions are. Are they now able to:
  • Identify wheel speed sensor failures
  • Have the ability to cycle ABS during brake fluid changes
  • Force DEF regeneration
  • Read SRS, Stability Control, Airbags and Transmission codes
WACHUKO - I looked up their specs again for both and looks like 2 out of 4 on your above list. DPF regen shows yes. ABS bleeding & re-learn ABS sensitivity says yes, but is that the same as cycling the ABS? No mention of wheel speed sensors, SRS, Stability Control, Airbags, Tranny.

Yes, I have a couple generic OBDII readers myself with the Torque app.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:11 AM   #24

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
WACHUKO - I looked up their specs again for both and looks like 2 out of 4 on your above list. DPF regen shows yes. ABS bleeding & re-learn ABS sensitivity says yes, but is that the same as cycling the ABS? No mention of wheel speed sensors, SRS, Stability Control, Airbags, Tranny.

Yes, I have a couple generic OBDII readers myself with the Torque app.
The regen and bleeding were the ones that I was interesting in... this is good news then. Those and the wheel speed sensor readings since these seem to be the most common problems that I have seen in the forums...
WBCCI #26769
Old 08-15-2019, 12:04 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Ask away, I'll try not to be insulted.
I saw something shiny at the bottom of the bore that the sensor goes into. I suppose this is the tone ring. I spun the hub while holding a Q-tip saturated with solvent against the shiny something. Q-tip came out mostly clean. Blew shop air into the bore too. Funny thing was that I couldn't see the shiny piece turn when I spun the hub. Nor could I feel drag against the Q-tip when I spun the hub. If the tone ring wasn't turning the replacement of it wasn't something that I wanted to tackle. I did not try to trace back and check the harness wiring that the sensor plugged into - also something that I didn't want to tackle.

I have read about needing to adjust the air gap, and in fact that was one of the several messages from the code reader - didn't know how to measure the air gap nor how to adjust it, nor did I want to learn.

Basically I was willing to do a simple remove and replacement of the sensor, but didn't want to deal with more than that. If I was paying MB repair shop prices I might have been willing to dig deeper myself. Have a local mechanic who I trust, and he has lower rates.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:06 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Alex,
I can send you pictures of the various functions that my icarsoft ii MB does, if you are interested. Lemme know. Looks like there are 32 possible systems to check, but my vehicle only has 19 of them.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:11 PM   #27

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Alex,
I can send you pictures of the various functions that my icarsoft ii MB does, if you are interested. Lemme know. Looks like there are 32 possible systems to check, but my vehicle only has 19 of them.
Because of the year of your AI, you have more access than we do... A lot of these companies have not been able to crack the code needed to open the communication in the new systems...

Some of the functions we want to access might not be an issue in your AI.
WBCCI #26769
Old 08-15-2019, 04:29 PM   #28
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
TITUS, WACHUKO - Thanks both for the inputs. Still waiting for Barnett Davies of iCarsoft to reply back. I purposely kept my question vague so he tells me the difference between the Multicar CR Pro vs. the MB V2.0 Sprinter specific.

Agree with WACHUKO in that it seems that 2013 Sprinter was the latest where access was not as restrictive. I saw it in some literature but now can't find it. I was not happy with initial answer from Barnett. If he does not come up with specific differences, I will stay away from it for now until find out more
Old 08-31-2019, 06:35 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Bought two Balmic sensors on Amazon for $50 and got the incorrect sensor code. Bought a Bosch sensor for $50 from Parts Geek and it too gave the incorrect sensor code. Ended up buying a genuine MB part for $200 (OUCH!) and it worked. Apparently MB has something in the software that only allows the use of a genuine MB part. The stinkers.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:08 PM   #30

Orlando , Florida
That or the code clears after the 3rd run....

Just kidding, just kidding!!

Good to know... will get factory sensors then.... I want to get a front and a rear sensor (the one not replaced) as spare...

Even if still under warranty, getting this failure while on a trip sucks.
WBCCI #26769
Old 09-01-2019, 05:35 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Wachuko,
Nope, I swapped the left and right sensors. Right one had been bad then read as 'incorrect'. After the swap the right one worked fine and the left one read 'incorrect'.

You will need three sensors to carry as spares - left and right rear are not interchangeable and front ones are interchangeable. Least I think that to be the case. I think it will cost $500-$600 to get the three spare sensors - but seems to be just a matter of time until they are needed. Front are easy to replace yourself while on the road, rear ones not so much.