Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2021, 08:22 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Ocala , Florida
solenoid for battery disconnect switch

I have a 2014 interstate, anyone know where the solenoid is located for the disconnect by the sliding door? After a trip I tried to turn off house batteries using the toggle disconnect by the sliding door. I wasn't plugged into shore power, just parking for a few days. Usually the solenoid will make a (ping) noise when I switch it off however I didnt hear a noise and the light on the toggle switch blinked then went back solid like I didnt toggle it to off. I tried the over head lights and they came on like nothing happened, also everything else worked like I was on house battery power. Tried toggling on and off several times with same result. Crawled under bed and turned red disconnect knob to off. Then everything was off like it should be. I did toggle the disconnect by the door again and everything worked even with the red disconnect off. I'm guessing I have a bad solenoid and was wondering if anyone else has had this experience and where it's located? Or maybe I'm not fully understanding how the disconnects work? Thanks Mike
Xterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 03:12 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Iím not a lot of help on fixing your issue but we have issues with ours too. Maybe a bit of this information can help.

I read something about the manual switch has to be rotated a certain place for it to work correctly. Yours might have been turned, placed, or ended up at the wrong clock hour, so to speak. I wish I could remember where itís supposed to be set to but unfortunately I donít, and I havenít been able to return ours to the correct position either or determine if itís faulty or bypassed.

We were also told that ours wonít function correctly because of the install of a surge protector. I donít understand why that would be, so I need to fix ours too.

Iíd say if you canít figure out the placement and get it working right, you might have a bad manual switch. Iím starting to think ours just needs to be replaced. If anyone knows what brand it is or if the clock placement needs to be correct to make it work right, it would be good to hear.
Hawk-ination is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 03:25 AM   #3
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I believe Airstream where using the Intellitec BD0 battery disconnects around that time.

PDF of the manual (including part numbers) attached.

Intellitec Battery Disconnect BD0 Installation Manual.pdf

And the solenoids are known to fail, and available on Ebay etc
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 05:31 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Traverse City , Michigan
That on/off switch is what makes the noise you would hear as you toggle the sliding door located switch. Those on/off switches have the solenoid or relay (I do not know the proper name) incorporated internally.

Hawk is right that they can get out of position by manually working them. Airstream did install on some units, OPís vintage, a solenoid after production/delivery by the magnum inverter. Many have removed this as it draws phantom power.

I suspect you have a back switch or it is out of position.
Heckler56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 06:08 AM   #5
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler56 View Post
That on/off switch is what makes the noise you would hear as you toggle the sliding door located switch. Those on/off switches have the solenoid or relay (I do not know the proper name) incorporated internally.

Hawk is right that they can get out of position by manually working them. Airstream did install on some units, OP’s vintage, a solenoid after production/delivery by the magnum inverter. Many have removed this as it draws phantom power.

I suspect you have a back switch or it is out of position.
The relay is not normally internally mounted, that faceplate/switch just provides the power to open and close the relay, the relay is mounted separately.

Typically motorhomes are wired so that you have a manual (rotary) switch in the main + line from the leisure batteries (this cuts the power from the leisure batteries), but then a battery isolator (so that leisure batteries can be charged from the starter battery/alternator). The output from the isolator is live as long as 1) the rotary switch is on (passing power from the leisure batteries) and/or 2) if the voltage of the starter battery is above the battery isolator threshold (ie the 12v circuits can be live if the rotary switch is off, because the power can come from the starter battery). This means a second (relay) battery isolator is normally also fitted after the main battery isolator. This is energized from non-switched side (via a 5amp fuse) of the same relay typically along with propane/carbon monoxide alarm, and allows the faceplate to turn on the relay and so supply the DC circuits.

So, rotary switch just turns off leisure batteries, you can still have 12v going to DC circuits unless the relay based isolator is closed and even then you still have 12v on the non-switched side (to provide power to the relay but also to power alarms which are safety critical).

From your symptoms it is the relay that is not opening, the fact that you see the light going on and off means it is getting power and trying to switch the relay.

The switch is used in trailers but the wiring can be different.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote