Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2020, 03:19 PM   #1

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Emerald Isle , NC - North Carolina
Solar Trickle Charge

I am the 2d owner of 2016 Interstate. Existing AGM house batteries currently has a 2 pole Sae connector wired to the batteries (see red arrows; assume to accept a battery tender). I park my RV under cover so solar panel is ineffective for keeping batteries charged and keeping up with parasitic drain. I would like to use a portable solar panel (Renogy 100W with 20amp controller) to keep the batteries charged. I can place it outside of the covered parking spot I am in to access sun. Any input on this idea would be welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7009.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	319.4 KB
ID:	380069  
Michael Oehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 03:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
The first thing to do is install a disconnect of the batteries to the rest of the unit. That way the only parasitic drain is internal to the batteries themselves.

After that, your 100w panel is more than fine. I used to use a 10w solar panel from Battery Tender in my covered storage yard. It got maybe an hour of highly off center sun per day and was fine for keeping the batteries charged.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:53 AM   #3

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Emerald Isle , NC - North Carolina
Thanks for your response. Vehicle is an Interstate. Given low level of parasitic draw, is there any real need to install a disconnect? I assumed a 100W portable panel would more than cover the minor draw while concurrently keeping batteries "topped off". Not being too savvy about the intricacies of the Interstate's electrical system I am more curious about the viability of introducing charging current directly to the house batteries via the wiring setup I inherited and depicted in the photo.
Michael Oehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Oehl View Post
I am the 2d owner of 2016 Interstate. Existing AGM house batteries currently has a 2 pole Sae connector wired to the batteries (see red arrows; assume to accept a battery tender). I park my RV under cover so solar panel is ineffective for keeping batteries charged and keeping up with parasitic drain. I would like to use a portable solar panel (Renogy 100W with 20amp controller) to keep the batteries charged. I can place it outside of the covered parking spot I am in to access sun. Any input on this idea would be welcome.
The parasitic drain on the Interstate is about 0.5A at 12VDC. Your plan to use a 100W solar panel with controller should work just fine to keep you batteries charged when parking your Interstate and not running the coach systems. Just connect the output from the solar controller to the connector in photo you posted.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
The parasitic drain on the Interstate is about 0.5A at 12VDC. Your plan to use a 100W solar panel with controller should work just fine to keep you batteries charged when parking your Interstate and not running the coach systems. Just connect the output from the solar controller to the connector in photo you posted.
I agree as long as you get enough solar.

A cutoff need not be a complicated thing.Something like this or this would do the trick.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote