Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2016, 09:12 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Lew will likely chime in. The 20A limit is for 60 cell PV panels. The normal 36 cell panels used on most RVs is 25A. Also the Blue Sky unit has a built in current limiter as described a few pages further in their manual. Copy attached.
Attachment 257622

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Mike hit the nail on the head!!

I use the 2512iX-HV up to and including 400 watt arrays. Never a problem!!

Anything larger gets the 3024iL, or multiples of same, depending on the array size:
Attached Images

lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:31 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Anywhere USA , USA
Quote:
Lew will likely chime in. The 20A limit is for 60 cell PV panels. The normal 36 cell panels used on most RVs is 25A. Also the Blue Sky unit has a built in current limiter as described a few pages further in their manual. Copy attached.
Attachment 257622

- - Mike
The very next page in the manual has a table that says otherwise. I couldn't figure out how to cut and paste, using my wife's Mac. I have time to research this and call Blue Sky before making a final decision. The fact that Lew has installed a lot of these with no problems indicates that probably I just don't understand the process used for rating. On the other hand, I might not want to buy a controller that clips off available power even it only happens at noon on a cool sunny day.

John
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:59 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Anywhere USA , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post

I remember a few of you folks moved the TV antenna to the top of the AC (reinforced lid). Anyone have anything to report on how that worked out for them?
I took the first step yesterday and removed the antenna. Next will be mounting it on the AC lid. Made one mistake - I cut the short coax cable that connects internally to the antenna. I thought Airstream had attached it inside the roof but actually the connection between the antenna coax and the chassis run coax was just caught on something. Now I need to find someone with the right coax crimping tools to get the two pieces of cable back together. The antenna coax cable diameter is very small. Much smaller than the cable coming out from the roof, which is regular cable TV coax.

The second PIC is my temporary cover to stop water intrusion.
Sorry about the upside down pic.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0293.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	257625   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0294.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	257626  

JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:03 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
If you're worried about dropping any additional power from your array, simply use the 3024iL charge controller.

I finds them easier to install anyway. 😃

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center*AMS Lithium Batteries
Lifeline AGM Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
Old 02-21-2016, 09:30 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP View Post
The very next page in the manual has a table that says otherwise. I couldn't figure out how to cut and paste, using my wife's Mac. I have time to research this and call Blue Sky before making a final decision. The fact that Lew has installed a lot of these with no problems indicates that probably I just don't understand the process used for rating. On the other hand, I might not want to buy a controller that clips off available power even it only happens at noon on a cool sunny day.

John

??? That table on page 6 of my manual says current limit is 25A for 36 cell panels as I said earlier. Are you focusing on the 370 watt limit? This Blue Sky controller can handle 400 watts with no problems. I've had mine in service for several years now. The 400 watt rating of my four 100 watt GS-100 panels from AM Solar will never give me the full 400 watts mounted flat on the roof of my van. That 400 watt rating is under ideal sun conditions which I'll never see.

- - Mike
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:29 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
??? That table on page 6 of my manual says current limit is 25A for 36 cell panels as I said earlier. Are you focusing on the 370 watt limit? This Blue Sky controller can handle 400 watts with no problems. I've had mine in service for several years now. The 400 watt rating of my four 100 watt GS-100 panels from AM Solar will never give me the full 400 watts mounted flat on the roof of my van. That 400 watt rating is under ideal sun conditions which I'll never see.

- - Mike
Don't feel bad Mike, no one else will ever see that number either. They are all rated at STC (Standard Test Conditions) which was an agreed upon lab standard for uniform ratings of solar modules to allow for accurate comparison. In actual real world conditions, or NOTC (Normal Operating Cell Temperatures), the STC figure is never attained.

Here's a good discussion of the 2 and their differences: http://www.amsolar.com/home/amr/page_164
Old 02-22-2016, 10:51 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Thanks Lew - good article.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote