Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2018, 08:12 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Lemont , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Today I tried with my eu2000, nothing else running, and batteries on ‘store’ to take charger offline.
Batteries shouldn't matter, but the best way to shut off the charger is by turning off its fuse at the AC breaker panel.
Glenn T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:38 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro-Air View Post
Happy Memorial Day, 3bcamper, and many thanks to our other EasyStart customers who already contributed here. Yes, the EasyStart will solve your problem of your generator being able to start your RV A/C.

Regarding part A of EarlM's post above, as long as your generator has enough steady-state, continuous output power to run your A/C, installing EasyStart will allow it to start on your generator from ECO mode when it otherwise would not have. There is no risk to of damage to your generator or to your A/C. All modern inverter generators have advanced electronics that protect them from any overload conditions that might be harmful to them; they'll simply disconnect their AC output if they are overloaded for too long. The Honda EU2000i will sustain up to 2000W of continuous output power without any issues. Literally THOUSANDS of our EasyStart customers have proven this time and time again. Airstreams since 2014 come standard with the Dometic Penguin II, either the 13.5kBTU or 15kBTU, or some combination thereof. We own two of the 15kBTU Penguin IIs at Micro-Air, along with 15kBTU Coleman Mach 8, and a a few generators, and we can start and run any 15kBTU with EasyStart installed, from ECO mode on our Honda EU2000i.

Regarding part B of EarlM's post, with EasyStart installed, not only will you get 65-75% current surge reduction during the compressor's startup, but EasyStart will also continue monitoring your compressor for several different fault conditions, including low-voltage-induced stalls, low-voltage or high-temperature induced overcurrent, an open thermal overload protector, miswiring or broken wires, brownouts or brief power interruptions, and short-cycle prevention. EasyStart will shutdown your compressor if any of these occur, and will delay its restart until the internal refrigerant pressures have equalized. EasyStart better protects your compressor than any factory configuration on the RV market today, be it from Dometic or Coleman. Beyond this, given the dramatic reduction in electrical and mechanical stress that your compressor will enjoy being soft started rather than hard started, common sense dictates and our preliminary life-test data shows that the life of your compressor will actually be extended by using EasyStart.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you again for your interest.

Thank you for the response. I have the Carrier Air V low profile unit 99-00468. Which device should I get for this?
3bcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:45 AM   #23
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bcamper View Post
Thank you for the response. I have the Carrier Air V low profile unit 99-00468. Which device should I get for this?
The EasyStart ASY-364-X20-IP is the correct model variant for your older Carrier AirV. Thanks to some previous customers, we do actually have a wiring diagram for that system in our EasyStart™ Knowledge Bank.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:46 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Anacortes , Washington
I carefully installed the EasyStart into our 2016 27' Serenity last year in a careful 1, maybe 2 hours. We bought the Honda equivalent, the Yamaha EF2000iSv2. Both fine generators.

The company does a fine job of supplying all the parts (I think I bought their optional small parts bag having the connectors, etc and that is the best way to do it). Also the photographs show our exact AC so it was easy to see exactly where to mount the components. I think they may have provided, or at least I printed them off from their website). Anxiously and nervously, after installing everything, then I went through the start up learning process about 4 or 5 times, and zero issues! No clunky sound when starting up, and I even tried starting up other electrical items while the AC was running. But then, the outside temps were in the mid-60's, and I'm sure once the temps rise into the 90's or so, those other electrical components will likely overload the circuitry. We store the AS just outside our home, plugged into a 20A outlet, and the AC will start from that as well.

So far we are very happy with only having to haul around one generator, not another other one just to start the AC.
Pat Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:05 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Pierce View Post
I carefully installed the EasyStart into our 2016 27' Serenity last year in a careful 1, maybe 2 hours. We bought the Honda equivalent, the Yamaha EF2000iSv2. Both fine generators.

The company does a fine job of supplying all the parts (I think I bought their optional small parts bag having the connectors, etc and that is the best way to do it). Also the photographs show our exact AC so it was easy to see exactly where to mount the components. I think they may have provided, or at least I printed them off from their website). Anxiously and nervously, after installing everything, then I went through the start up learning process about 4 or 5 times, and zero issues! No clunky sound when starting up, and I even tried starting up other electrical items while the AC was running. But then, the outside temps were in the mid-60's, and I'm sure once the temps rise into the 90's or so, those other electrical components will likely overload the circuitry. We store the AS just outside our home, plugged into a 20A outlet, and the AC will start from that as well.

So far we are very happy with only having to haul around one generator, not another other one just to start the AC.

Thank you Pat. This is good information. I ordered the Easy Start today and should have it installed soon. It was obvious the inrush current/LRA of the air conditioner is a bit much for the generator. Sometimes it starts and runs successfully while on generation other times it kills the generator. I’m aware of the generator’s capacity relative to the loads installed in the AI, and I have no problem segregating or managing the loads while I generation. All the information on this thread has been very helpful.
3bcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:30 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I was looking through the information I received on my Dometic AC. It applies to about 25 different models, and I don't know which one I have. All the Interstate info says is 13,500 BTU - which cuts out about half of them. But I noted that all of them have about the same specs for electrical current draw, and recommend a minimum of 3.5 kW generator. Our AC has always started on the few times that we have used it with the generator, always at low altitudes with little power derate of the generator.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:38 PM   #27
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I installed Easy Start on both my 15,000 BTU and 13,500 BTU Dometic’s last Spring. I was really, really impressed with the difference compared with pre-installation. I could actually hear a difference when the compressor would kick in. I have a 30 amp Magnum inverter (with 4 Interstate 6V AGM’s) and 600W of solar panels. I was able to run my A/C off this battery rig before the Easy Start install, but because they smooth out the power draw, I’m able to run the A/C longer. (I use this convenience when we stop for lunch and I don’t want to hook up the generator for an hour or so.) Very happy customer!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:05 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
I puchased the Softstart to install in a new Dometic 15,000btu high capacity Penguin II AC in my AI. These guys really have their act together, with instant shipping, and clear instructions on install. I'm sure I won't have a problem.

But, for what it's worth, with everyone at the RV shop that did the install telling me the 15,000btu won't work with the Onan 2500 genset, I can assure you that it works just fine, even without the Easystart.

The newer units use a electronically controlled start up sequence. The fan comes on first, and 30 seconds or so later, the compressor. You cannot hear the compressor start up actually. My amp meter showed it pulls 3-4 amps when the fan starts up, and then about 19 for a split second when the compressor kicks in. The genset hardly changes in pitch. With the old AC it would almost, but not quite stall, because both the fan and compressor started at the same time. Running, the new AC was pulling 14-15 amps and it was 97F outside and 87 inside when I started the unit.

The added capacity should help with the heat load on hot days with about 10% more cooling efficiency. The new unit is also a bit quieter as well.

So, even though Dometic still recommends a 3.5kw genset, as long as you don't need to use the microwave or any other high wattage unit, the higher efficiency unit works just fine.

The specs on this unit says it uses about 2 amps more with a locked rotor (aka starting the compressor) and about 15 watts more running than a the standard unit. With the change it how it starts up, with the fan and compressor starting at different times, though, it doesn't cause as much of a burden on the genset as the earlier model.

Highly recommended.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:15 AM   #29
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
We have tested running the A/C with the generator now three times... this is just me making sure everything works before a trip. No issues.

I have this on my list of mods, but do not think that I will do it any time soon.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Hillsboro , Texas
Micro-Air will be at WBCCI rally in Salem, OR

I didn't see that the question of whether Micro-Air will be at the 2018 WBCCI International Rally in Salem, OR later this month was answered. I am the vendor chairman for this rally and can affirm that Micro-Air will be there in the vendor area. Per Matteo, there will also be a discount on Easy Start units purchased at the rally. I plan to purchase one for my trailer. At this time, all vendor booths are SOLD so please stop by.
WBCCI #4432 & ARC member W9CJX
jwgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:19 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Ventura , California
Easy Start, $300 plus 100 to install. Google Easy Start, they also have an instructional video. Will take care or your issue.
Rpwrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:03 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
We have tested running the A/C with the generator now three times... this is just me making sure everything works before a trip. No issues.
WACHUKO - evil minds think the same. Gen running outside, going through it's paces for 3rd time today. Leaving at crack of dawn tomo. for the cooler altitude of Grand Junction, CO. I have full hookups there at camp & at daughter's house. But I have to see how this Gen acts up in 7,000ft. asl . I train at 8,500ft. but I doubt this Gen can handle thin air very well. Luckily I don't need it there.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:06 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Very interesting - I'm thinking its time to install one of these. Now just need to figure out what AC unit we have on our 2013 28' FC
Old 06-04-2018, 08:20 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwgreen View Post
I didn't see that the question of whether Micro-Air will be at the 2018 WBCCI International Rally in Salem, OR later this month was answered. I am the vendor chairman for this rally and can affirm that Micro-Air will be there in the vendor area. Per Matteo, there will also be a discount on Easy Start units purchased at the rally. I plan to purchase one for my trailer. At this time, all vendor booths are SOLD so please stop by.
Quote:
Please let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you again for your interest.
Thanks John - A question for the Micro-air people. With your company attending the International I'm wondering if you will be running a sale?

As per my post above we're interested in a unit for our 2013 28' FC, but will buy it at the Rally if your having show specials compared to ordering online......

Thanks
Doug
Old 06-05-2018, 07:46 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
This is an Email that I received yesterday from Micro Air:

Hello Richard,

Thank you for your inquiry and for previously visiting our website.

Yes, you will be able to purchase and have installed by Micro-Air staff the EasyStart 364 at the 2018 WBCCI Airstream International Rally in Salem, OR. Please stop by our booth in the vendor area in Columbia Hall starting on Saturday morning, June 23rd, to sign up for an appointment. We aren't taking reservation, but we're bringing 100 EasyStarts with us, so there should be no problem getting an appointment. Stop by early to reserve yours.

Thank you again for your interested in our EasyStart products.

Micro-Air Sales Administration

sales@microair.net

Micro-Air, Inc.

124 Route 526

Allentown, NJ 08501

609-259-2636

www.microair.net
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:54 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
This is an Email that I received yesterday from Micro Air:

Hello Richard,

Thank you for your inquiry and for previously visiting our website.

Yes, you will be able to purchase and have installed by Micro-Air staff the EasyStart 364 at the 2018 WBCCI Airstream International Rally in Salem, OR. Please stop by our booth in the vendor area in Columbia Hall starting on Saturday morning, June 23rd, to sign up for an appointment. We aren't taking reservation, but we're bringing 100 EasyStarts with us, so there should be no problem getting an appointment. Stop by early to reserve yours.

Thank you again for your interested in our EasyStart products.

www.microair.net
Thanks Richard for the info....

I'm actually not going to be at the International, but have friends who will be. So what I was trying to figure out is if they were running some type of show special I would get a switch picked up for me and brought back to Canada.
Maybe I will try and ask the question via email as they don't seem to be responding via this thread.
Thanks again for your help

Cheers
Doug
Old 06-05-2018, 08:49 AM   #37
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Micro-Air at the 2018 WBCCI Airstream International Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
Maybe I will try and ask the question via email as they don't seem to be responding via this thread.
Hi Doug. In order to comply with the strict rules of Air Forums, I cannot specifically comment on what we'll be offering at the rally here in this thread. I have instead just created a post in an existing thread in the Commercial Listings section of Air Forums. Check it out at this link. Thank you again for your and everyone's interest. We're looking forward to meeting with everyone at the rally again this year and we're working hard on all of the preparations.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:04 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Hi Doug. In order to comply with the strict rules of Air Forums, I cannot specifically comment on what we'll be offering at the rally here in this thread. I have instead just created a post in an existing thread in the Commercial Listings section of Air Forums. Check it out at this link. Thank you again for your and everyone's interest. We're looking forward to meeting with everyone at the rally again this year and we're working hard on all of the preparations.
Thanks very much for the info Matteo.

With the info (via the link) I will just order a unit through your website as I won't be at the rally. Mind you a proper installation for FREE at the rally would be a huge carrot if I wasn't 2,000 miles away.....lol
Can you confirm the unit I should be ordering. I have a 2013 28' Flying Cloud. Singe AC unit.

thanks

Doug
Old 06-05-2018, 09:11 AM   #39
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
Can you confirm the unit I should be ordering. I have a 2013 28' Flying Cloud. Singe AC unit.
Thank you for the compliments, Doug! The EasyStart 364 model variant that is appropriate for all RV A/C units in the USA is the ASY-364-X20-IP.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:35 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Thank you for the compliments, Doug! The EasyStart 364 model variant that is appropriate for all RV A/C units in the USA is the ASY-364-X20-IP.

Thanks!

Could you guide me on the variant I should be choosing?