Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2021, 09:11 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Chappaqua , New York
Sofa bed on 2014 EXT lounge stuck

Has anyone had to change the sofa/lounge (Atwood)bed motor or switch on their AI?

I have a 2014 and the sofa is stuck in the upright position. It wont recline. Seems no power is getting to the switch or motor. Nothing is blocking. All other electric works. Is there a fuse for this? I tried connected with shore power and the generator. Nothing.

Getting ready for our biggest trip ever. We are north-easterners (NY and VT) and have never been out west in the AI. Twins leave for their freshmen years of college soon and we're heading to Santa Fe, Taos, Grand Canyon, Zion and then Aspen.

Any guidance with the power sofa bed or trip must do's would be appreciated
Ajax22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:47 AM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Check the fuses. If all are good, pop the switch out of the aluminum and use a meter to check input voltage and switched voltages. It is more likely a fuse since the sofa is generally not used enough to wear out the switch or motor. If there are voltages at the switch, check the wires to the motor. You will have to do this from the rear. Stuff shoved under the couch can damage the wires.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 12:37 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Check for wire nuts hooking the sofa motor / control to the main wiring harness. Having one come loose is not that uncommon .... ( did they use wire nuts on your van? .... it's AS ... who knows .... was it built on the third Wednesday of the month? ) If it's a splice / connector of some sort, check that ....

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
The motor is above the front of your box under your sofa. If you haven’t been in there before, there’s like three screws on the top of the box to loosen, or you can just take out the sides which are along the edge of the box facing you as you look in from the back. Tilt the back of the box toward you from the top as the Magnum inverter should be bolted to the back side of that piece.

There’s a connection with two wires if that powers up your motor. I’d check the connection and make sure the wires aren’t pulled out. That’s if there isn’t a fuse blown, which I would check first like Pahaska suggested.

See in my screen shot, the orange wires with connector power the sofa motor I do believe, and the motor is seen in the picture on the upper left side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D71F855B-55DB-46B2-9B2E-4AD151FE780E.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	401133  
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 04:00 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Chappaqua , New York
Update

Figured I'd report back with an update and the fix in case any others run into a similar problem.

Turns out it was a water leak from the antenna and awning connection on the roof and water got to the lounge switch which is right underneath it.

Replaced the switch and ... bingo... Sofa bed reclines.
Ajax22 is offline   Reply With Quote