Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2018, 09:35 AM   #21
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
New table coming today

I ordered a John Boos 18" round cherry cutting block from Bed Bath & Beyond (love those coupons). I had procrastinated long enough that it wouldn't arrive before Xmas.

It was supposed to arrive here Jan 2. Fine. No hurry. Yesterday, I received an email from UPS that it would arrive in three days. Nice, but too busy to do anything with it until after Xmas st the earliest. This morning, I received a UPS email that it would arrive this afternoon.

Odd! The original email from UPS said it was shipped from New Jersey. The current trace said it was shipped from Dallas yesterday. Now, I am totally confused.

Anyway, I should have it in hand today. Between Xmas and New Years, I will bring the Corean table home from the storage yard. I plan to rout out the bottom of the new block for the mount so that the thicker new table will be the same height as the original table.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 02:55 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I ordered a John Boos 18" round cherry cutting block from Bed Bath & Beyond (love those coupons). I had procrastinated long enough that it wouldn't arrive before Xmas.

It was supposed to arrive here Jan 2. Fine. No hurry. Yesterday, I received an email from UPS that it would arrive in three days. Nice, but too busy to do anything with it until after Xmas st the earliest. This morning, I received a UPS email that it would arrive this afternoon.

Odd! The original email from UPS said it was shipped from New Jersey. The current trace said it was shipped from Dallas yesterday. Now, I am totally confused.

Anyway, I should have it in hand today. Between Xmas and New Years, I will bring the Corean table home from the storage yard. I plan to rout out the bottom of the new block for the mount so that the thicker new table will be the same height as the original table.
JOHN - Yes, I saw some John Boos when I was at BBB a few days ago. They are only 2 miles from my house. I thought about it but expensive for what I want to do. After wife saw what I did, she now wants me to make a 2nd round table. I guess no good deed goes un-punished in our household

But this time, she wants the top routered out so that she can recess an enamel
painted serving tray, a 2nd perforated non-stick bakeware on top of it, and a 3rd solid Xylan non-stick bakeware on top of that. I am using leftover scrap 2.5" thick stock so I have enough depth to stack/nest all 3 trays. Not sure why she wants the ability to stack/nest all of them, unless for convenience of storage. Or also ease of moving from inside to outside picnic area in camp. It is going to be tricky coz they are not exactly identical in size but very close (within 1/2"-3/4"). So I need to router out a circle just large enough to accomodate the largest tray. It will be very tight for the Xylan tray and a bit loose for the enamel tray. And I have yet to order a 2nd set of pedestal mounts for it. Should be done about same time you are done with yours. Will post pics soon.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:01 PM   #23
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
You guys are killing me with these cool ideas!!! Love what you all have done!
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 02:41 PM   #24
Contributing Member

New table is done and installed.

I flipped it upside down, found the center, and used a compass to mark a circle a little larger than the table mount. I used a sharpie to darken the circle so that I could see it more easily through the chips and freehand routed a 1/2" relief for the table mount. The table top is the same height as the old table.

The resulting table is about half the weight of the boat anchor Corean table. I like the resulting look and it will be much easier to get around.

It sits nicely between the two bottom pegs that held the old table when stored.
I need to put in a peg to keep it from sliding forward and put on a much longer upper swing arm to store it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181228_134402.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	330522   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181228_134502.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	330523  

WBCCI #9632
Old 12-28-2018, 04:04 PM   #25
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
New table is done and installed.

I flipped it upside down, found the center, and used a compass to mark a circle a little larger than the table mount. I used a sharpie to darken the circle so that I could see it more easily through the chips and freehand routed a 1/2" relief for the table mount. The table top is the same height as the old table.

The resulting table is about half the weight of the boat anchor Corean table. I like the resulting look and it will be much easier to get around.

It sits nicely between the two bottom pegs that held the old table when stored.
I need to put in a peg to keep it from sliding forward and put on a much longer upper swing arm to store it.
JOHN - Nice! I am finished with my 2nd top too. But the 2nd pedestal/pole/leg/mounts I ordered won't be here until after New Year. I will post pics of top and trays soon. FREEHAND ROUTERING? You are one brave hombre. The last (and only time I tried it) I ruined an expensive piece. Though I gotta admit, with the router kit I purchased for my Dremmel, I have been practicing on little pvc trim pieces free-hand. And the Dremmel has been great for my acrylic stuff. No way I could freehand my butcher block, especially a circle. Had to use a jig that I borrowed from a friend who has a full machine shop. With my shop full of bike building tools & electronic equipment, we leverage each others tools.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:08 PM   #26
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
JOHN - just re-thought your/my comment about "freehand routering". Did you mean freehand as in without power tools, just chiseling away, which definitely would've been doable given the small circle. When I was talking about my attempt to "freehand routering" I was using a power router. I hit a knot and my router jiggled a bit ruining my otherwise almost done project
Old 12-28-2018, 07:32 PM   #27
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
JOHN - just re-thought your/my comment about "freehand routering".
I meant that I simply guided the router by hand and did not use any jig or fence . I routed out the center 3", then routed along the outer line, then routed the balance. That always gave me plenty of support for the router bottom plate so that it could not dig in.

No knots in this board.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-28-2018, 08:19 PM   #28
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
I meant that I simply guided the router by hand and did not use any jig or fence . I routed out the center 3", then routed along the outer line, then routed the balance. That always gave me plenty of support for the router bottom plate so that it could not dig in.

No knots in this board.
JOHN - Ok, that's what I thought. I needed to borrow a jig coz my circle is on the exposed (top) side so it needed to be a fairly nice circle. In retrospect, I probably should've just bought my own jig since it is not that expensive, rather than wait for my friend to get back from Christmas ski trip. But since I may not need it again for awhile, I saved $
Old 12-30-2018, 12:59 PM   #29
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
My 2nd round table (per wife's request to fit her 3 trays nested on top of each one) is complete sans a new pedestal post & mounts. The new pedestal post & mounts is identical to the Airstream one with the added feature of adjustable height. That should be in after New Year's day.

The 1st round copper topped table is being kept permanently in the rear, always mounted on it's post (unless in bed mode). This 2nd one will be used up front or outside the AI in picnic situations when no other table is available. It will also serve as a serving tray when big picnic tables are on-site. I will attach the base that comes with the new post onto a stabilizing platform or detachable legs (TBD).

Wooden base with recessed cavity that is deep enough to house 3 metal trays on top of each other, handles attached for use outside.

Name:	Base (1).jpg
Views:	57
Size:	362.1 KB
ID:	330655

Metal serving tray, permanently inset inside wood base, no screws, just some silicon glue, it's not going anywhere.

Name:	Base (2).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	346.6 KB
ID:	330656

2nd tray (perforated bakeware) sitting on top of metal serving tray.

Name:	Base (3).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	429.2 KB
ID:	330657

3rd tray (solid Xylan bakeware) sitting on top of 1st & 2nd trays.

Name:	Base (4).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	330658

Since I was unable to complete everything before Christmas, I couldn't present it to wife as my cheap Christmas gift until the new pedestal post & mounts arrive. Well, the wood & trays were cheap but when you price in the new adjustable pedestal post & mounts, it's kinda pricey for a 16" contraption But with that, no more wife gripes about nesting trays.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:45 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
That is really cool. I really like the nesting design.
Anything to minimize banging while driving?
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:04 PM   #31
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbun View Post
That is really cool. I really like the nesting design.
Anything to minimize banging while driving?
TOBBUN - Not much banging since the inset cutout is pretty tight and the trays are within 1/2" of each other. But between trays, nothing more than thin wax paper or even paper towel.

Will post pics of the entire assembly when adjustable pedestal arrives. That's the one I am excited about and not sure how close the finish is to the original AI pedestal post. But it is same exact dimensions & locking mechs. Wouldn't be surprised if made by same manufacturer).
Old 12-30-2018, 06:22 PM   #32
Contributing Member

Looks really good. I would be interested in a link to the adjustable table source.
WBCCI #9632
Old 12-30-2018, 07:16 PM   #33
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Looks really good. I would be interested in a link to the adjustable table source.
JOHN - I purposely am withholding it until I can see for myself if the quality is excellent to recommend. I want to minimize any criticism from members who may find the quality lacking. Pictures do appear very nice. If I am happy with it, I will post link. It is a marine product, so it is made of polished aluminum (as I believe our AI post is too).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	s-l1600b.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	330687   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600A.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	330688  

Name:	s-l1600c.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	330689  
Old 12-31-2018, 06:35 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Very, very nice. It would make me happy!
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:43 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Centre County , Pennsylvania
The pedestal in our 2014.5 is made by Springfield Marine. They also sell an adjustable version, http://www.springfieldgrp.com/produc...djustable-post
Is yours from a different manufacturer?
Lineolated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:36 AM   #36
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lineolated View Post
The pedestal in our 2014.5 is made by Springfield Marine. They also sell an adjustable version, http://www.springfieldgrp.com/produc...djustable-post
Is yours from a different manufacturer?
LINEOLATED - I do not see a manufacturer label on the AI supplied non-adjustable post I have. And I do not know the manufacturer of the adjustable one that I ordered, but it is due to arrive Friday.

But I did pull up that Springfield unit sometime ago by happenstance when I was searching for marine grade carpeting. I forgot about it until you sent this link. And I looked at it again just now and they still only offer the post. They don't list the base. They offer their post in polished alu. But their polished mount is only available in 20-pack. To get a single mount, you have to order the brushed alu. I wanted to get post, base, and mount - all in polished alu. I looked all over their site and could not find a set/package either.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:12 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Centre County , Pennsylvania
Thanks Alex. I’m anxious to hear how your post works out. Been thinking of replacing mine with an adjustable.
Lineolated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:31 PM   #38
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lineolated View Post
Thanks Alex. I’m anxious to hear how your post works out. Been thinking of replacing mine with an adjustable.
MANSDERM161 - Thanks. The things I would do for my 4 women (1wife, 2daughters, 1granddaughter)

LINEOLATED, JOHN - Will post info as soon as I get the pedestal/post/mount/base. It actually arrived at local PO today but who knows with the holidays if it makes it here Weds, Th, or Fri. But will post the manufacturer (if I see any markings) and an initial review.

FYI - I did some more research on Springfield Marine and I did find only 1 in Amazon that is the adjustable (but again, only the post, no base or table mount; just strikes me as weird) for $139. So it may work for you guys if you only need the post. But I need the extra table mount and extra base. That $139 seems reasonable considering the few that I was able to dig up were much more than that. But it is 40% more than I paid for complete kit ($100 shipped). Since LINEOLATED confirmed his 2014.5 is made by Springfield, then it may be a safe bet that the quality of the Amazon one is identical to the AI supplied post? Link below:

Springfield Pedestal, Thread-Lock Adjustable
https://www.amazon.com/Springfield-M...le+thread+lock
Old 01-01-2019, 09:56 PM   #39
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Adjustable pedestal post, mount, and base arrived late last night.

Attached table mount to underside of 2nd tabletop

Name:	20190101_203558.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	316.9 KB
ID:	330836

All setup in front location, using existing AI base already mounted on floor, at maximum adjustable height.

Name:	20190101_203548.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	330837

Fixed AI post on left. Adjustable post on right at max height.

Name:	20190101_203536.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	330838

Lowest adjusted height vs. Fixed post height.

Name:	20190101_203525.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	330839

Highest adjusted height vs. Fixed post height.

Name:	20190101_203512.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	330840

Both sets of tables on their respective pedestals.

Name:	20190101_203457.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	330841

AI issued fixed post in brushed alu. Adjustable post in polished alu.

Name:	20190101_203441.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	331.8 KB
ID:	330842

LINEOLATED is right. My AI fixed post is made by Springfield Marine.

Name:	20190101_203428.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	383.5 KB
ID:	330843

With exception of the adjustability, both posts, mounts, and bases are identical in all dimensions, mounting holes, interchangeable in every respect (easily mixed&matched all combos). . . . .

Name:	20190101_203413.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	442.8 KB
ID:	330844

EXCEPT - Notice the Springfield fixed post on left is thinner gauge alu than adjustable post on right. I calipered it and is pretty close to twice the thickness.

Name:	20190101_203355.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	330845
Old 01-07-2019, 03:40 PM   #40
Contributing Member

Stored table

Here is my wood table stored. I moved the upper restraint down and put 3/4" standoffs behind it to bring the top clamp out.

It sits nicely between the two pegs at the bottom. I still need to put a peg in front of it to keep it from sliding forward on a hard stop.

I'm thinking of cutting up the Corean table to make a swing-up extension on the front of the galley counter. It would be nice to have some room around the sink. I need to check for some adhesive to bond to Corean. Maybe JB Weld.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190107_094335.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	331317  
WBCCI #9632