Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2017, 01:21 PM   #1041
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tega Cay , South Carolina
I got two king size comforters from Ikea and used them on our trip to the can opener which was very cold. They worked great.. we laid the comforter on the bed, got on top of it and pulled the unused part over us, lIke a sleeping bag. Now I don't have to remake the bed with sheets and blankets every day. The comforter rolled up into a small roll that fit in the overhead storage area.
gghayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:33 PM   #1042
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Moving day

I dismounted the 3-way soap dispenser and remounted it high on the wall behind the toilet, just far enough above the useless little shelf to get a hand under the spouts. This will certainly make showering a lot easier with more elbow room. I'll use the shower most of the time; my wife will trek to the park facilities. In our old wet bath 22 International, that worked well because I had more room with her gone.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:42 PM   #1043
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I dismounted the 3-way soap dispenser and remounted it high on the wall behind the toilet, just far enough above the useless little shelf to get a hand under the spouts. This will certainly make showering a lot easier with more elbow room. I'll use the shower most of the time; my wife will trek to the park facilities. In our old wet bath 22 International, that worked well because I had more room with her gone.

It may be due to the extreme temperature variations here in the southwest, but my soap dispenser always drips slowly onto the toilet paper holder below it. Haven't found a way to stop it.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:43 PM   #1044
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
It may be due to the extreme temperature variations here in the southwest, but my soap dispenser always drips slowly onto the toilet paper holder below it. Haven't found a way to stop it.
Might try removing the bottle on the leaker and flush the pump/valve w/ water. Sometimes the liquid soap will dry enuf to not let the valve seat.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:12 PM   #1045
Contributing Member

Refrigerator monitor

As an insulin user, I always stay aware of the refrigerator temperature. The stuff must not be frozen. On the other hand, after nearly dying once from food poisoning, I like a cool icebox.

I use a wireless indoor-outdoor thermometer as a monitor with the outdoor sensor in the fridge. The problem was a place for the display in the IA.

I cut a 2"x4" piece of scrap Lexan. The bottom slips under the edge of the galley counter and the top is held to the wall between windows with a short screw. The display is mounted to the Lexan with a short piece of double-sided tape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170205_123841.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	326.2 KB
ID:	279286  
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-19-2017, 09:24 AM   #1046
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
2.5 years of Interstate ownership and I'm *still* not happy with my trash management approach. We have a dog, so trash has to be kept up high or within cabinetry. I haven't found a good way to keep it down below, so to date, it's been hanging high above.

I had originally been using a pop-up nylon trash can from a big box auto store, but it was really too large for a Class B space. Here are two products put together that have potential. Right now it's hanging on the rear door by two magnets, but I might be able to fit this somewhere else more convenient in the future.

The Container Store hanging pockets are a metallic mesh, so they are not too ugly, and they are soft-sided hence have potential to be squeezed into irregularly-shaped spaces.

I was pleased to find that teeny tiny box of smaller trash bags - look at the size of it relative to the car key fob. Definitely helpful in a Class B.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:12 AM   #1047
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Nice!

Both Glad and Ruffies make 4 gallon trash can bags if a smaller bag would work better. Glad are in a box and are maybe a bit thicker. Ruffles are on a roll and are our go-to bag for doggie doo doo, and for lining our tiny TP trash can in the bathroom.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:03 AM   #1048
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
As an insulin user, I always stay aware of the refrigerator temperature. The stuff must not be frozen. On the other hand, after nearly dying once from food poisoning, I like a cool icebox.

I use a wireless indoor-outdoor thermometer as a monitor with the outdoor sensor in the fridge. The problem was a place for the display in the IA.

I cut a 2"x4" piece of scrap Lexan. The bottom slips under the edge of the galley counter and the top is held to the wall between windows with a short screw. The display is mounted to the Lexan with a short piece of double-sided tape.
Here's an easy solution for monitoring the Refrigerator AND Freezer compartments. It's a Bluetooth temperature monitor. PLace one sensor in the freezer, and the other in the lower refer section, and place the monitor wherever you like. I found the monitor even works 180 feet away in the house, while monitoring the RV refer in our storage bldg. $23.
https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-00986...r+temp+monitor
Attached Images

Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:37 AM   #1049
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
One of the trailer people on another thread recommended this gizmo because it is (a) extremely small, (b) idiot-proof, and (c) only seven bucks. Obviously it's for testing the integrity of campground pedestals and other plug-in locations. There are numerous formats out there, but this one is particularly efficient in its design. Sperry Instruments GFI6302 GFCI Outlet Tester, 120V AC, 1 Pk.

It's an Amazon add-on Prime item and I had forgotten that I had carted it some weeks back, until it showed up this morning along with the LED spot lights that we hope to add over our sink and stove (same spot lights that a few others have installed as directional reading lights). So, this is now another dedicated itty bitty tool for the Interstate.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:01 PM   #1050
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Good idea to have a small tester handy- good if rewiring stuff also (I recently needed to replace the shore power input since I broke the door)

Along with amazon, HF has this one
http://t.harborfreight.com/electrica...sis-32907.html

And I happened to pick up the cheaper one a couple of days ago
$3.99
http://t.harborfreight.com/electric-...ter-32906.html
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:22 PM   #1051
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
The cheaper one can't test GFCI circuits.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:25 AM   #1052
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Anyone with a specific recommendation for binoculars suitable for a small space? Trade-offs between size and optics? Comments?

I don't want anything that is conventionally large and clunky, that takes up half an overhead cabinet.

TIA.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:56 AM   #1053
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
You may want to go to a store and try Some yourself.
It seems the design can make a big difference to different people. The size of the 'viewing' optic (darn if I can remember what it is called) seems to make a big difference. Some can use a smaller one effectively, others it is very hard to see.
Just a thought.
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:34 AM   #1054
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Anyone with a specific recommendation for binoculars suitable for a small space? Trade-offs between size and optics? Comments?

I don't want anything that is conventionally large and clunky, that takes up half an overhead cabinet.

TIA.
I have a moderate size pair (brand is Nikon but forgot the model) that fits nicely (in it's case) in the little cubby above the curbside 2nd row seat (in bathroom front wall). Easy to grab on your way out the door.

Here is a decent general duty binocular for a great price:

Nikon 8248 ACULON A211 10x50 Binocular

I've seen these on Amazon for $84ish. Great quality for the $$.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:30 PM   #1055
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
I have a moderate size pair (brand is Nikon but forgot the model) that fits nicely (in it's case) in the little cubby above the curbside 2nd row seat (in bathroom front wall). Easy to grab on your way out the door.

Here is a decent general duty binocular for a great price:

Nikon 8248 ACULON A211 10x50 Binocular

I've seen these on Amazon for $84ish. Great quality for the $$.
The ones I have in my AI cubby hole are Nikon Action 8 x 40 Egret II. They can be picked up a tiny bit cheaper than the ones I previously mentioned.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:01 PM   #1056
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
East central , Illinois
I really like my Nikon Prostaff 7s. Roughly $150. I also have a slightly more compact set from Bushnell that I got several years ago. The Nikons use a roof prism design which makes them less bulky but slightly longer than the Bushnells that use a porro prism design. I highly recommend you spend some time in the store trying them out before buying. Ease of use for the controls as well as size, weight, brightness and focal length will all affect how much use you get out of your investment.
Bob
Old 03-14-2017, 05:04 PM   #1057
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
On one of the grill-related threads, I mentioned being pleased with the UCO Flat Pack grill, and I linked to this blog post which provides a review of the grill's functionality as well as instructions on creating a storage case that will protect the inside of a camper van from residual grease and soot that may remain on it after use, given that Interstates have no exterior storage.

Well, I was so pleased with it and it was so inexpensive that I went ahead and also bought UCO's other product, which is the Grilliput. It's a very labor-intensive thing to put together, but the compact size of it sets it apart in the marketplace. Whereas the Flat Pack might be used with charcoal in a campground or state park, the Grilliput is ideal for open wood fires in less-regulated areas.

Class B equipment works best if it serves more than one purpose. For instance, I've mentioned probably on this forum, and certainly on others, that I don't have to carry food in my Yeti hitch cooler. Depending on what activities I've got going on, I could carry other items in there, just like any other hitch box - there's no law that says only food can go in it.

Similarly, there's no law that says the Grilliput must be used for grilling only. It gets two thumbs down on many backpacker review sites because it's really, really heavy. My first thought upon picking it up in its packed-down form was, "Wow, I could totally clock someone with this baby!" In other words, it has potential as a defensive weapon. Picture something along the lines of a concrete-filled pipe, a small one but potentially useful. It's one more thing to keep next to my Interstate bed at night, just in case.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:33 PM   #1058
Contributing Member

Looks like you could use it for a flute for a musical evening around the fire.
WBCCI #9632
Old 03-15-2017, 08:33 AM   #1059
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Sea to Summit collapsible pots. The orange one arrived as a Christmas gift and I subsequently picked up the lime green one because it is more like a kettle and has a pour spout for ease of use (I make a lot of tea).

The manufacturer is very definite about the fact that the silicone sides cannot be exposed to open flame - only the bottoms. For that reason, I use the kettle on the smaller SMEV burner. It's very convenient to use.

Now that I can use the microwave on-demand at any time (because our lithium system is up and running), I have to find a new storage space for all of our disposable plates, bowls, forks, knives, spoons, etc. that had been packing the microwave from floor to roof (talk about a first-world problem). Having these two pots be collapsible will free up a bit of space under the counter.

Now that I can use the toaster on demand at any time, my intention is to find a better toaster. This cheapie was $9.99 two years ago and I've hardly used it. If anyone knows of a good super-compact toaster, please post.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:13 PM   #1060
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Sea to Summit collapsible pots. The orange one arrived as a Christmas gift and I subsequently picked up the lime green one because it is more like a kettle and has a pour spout for ease of use (I make a lot of tea).
I know what will go on my birthday/xmas lists. I always get complaints because I don't ask for anything specific. I have something I want in mind now.
WBCCI #9632