Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Have y'all seen these? So tiny, much better than hauling around even a small bottle of bleach, and no worries about spillage or splashes.

We sanitized our fresh water tank with a couple of these last week, just dropped them in a partially filled tank. No funnel needed. . I have also dissolved one in water for cleaning purposes. You can get them at Walmart, in the bleach section.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	179623  
Old 03-01-2013, 06:34 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Girl stuff

Ladies, if you haven't discovered Lush products, they are some of the best items ever, and many are especially suited to travel and living in small spaces.

I LOVE their shampoo bars, which do what they say they do and are just oh-so-handy. Yes, they are a bit pricey, but one bar will do daily shampoos for a couple of months.

Am going to try to copy the link here. If it doesn't work, go to Lush.com.

Shampoos

Maggie
Old 03-01-2013, 06:57 AM   #83
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Guy Stuff

The wet bath in my Interstate has a wall-mounted liquid soap dispenser with spouts for three products. After a year of experimentation, I now put Dawn dish soap in one, waterless hand sanitizer in the second, and shampoo in the third.

The only one I have to make sure not to run out of is the dish soap. I wouldn't care to wash dishes with shampoo, though I suppose as long as I rinse thoroughly it would work. But if I run out of either shampoo or hand sanitizer, I can use the dish soap as a substitute until I can get more.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
One of these arrived from LLBean today, recommended by an Alumalina attendee (thank you, Bonnie).

Legs expand, then collapse to store. Table top snaps on securely, then accordion-folds to put away.

Incredibly compact, lightweight and sturdy, in a cute little carry bag, and takes up about 1/6th the space of the stool we have been carrying behind the driver's seat for a couple of years.

We thought we might need a stool, and on very rare occasions we do, but mostly the flat top is used for the crock pot when we are in a campsite with picnic table.

Smaller is better.

And, it's aluminum!

Maggie
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
One of these arrived from LLBean today, recommended by an Alumalina attendee (thank you, Bonnie).

Legs expand, then collapse to store. Table top snaps on securely, then accordion-folds to put away.

Incredibly compact, lightweight and sturdy, in a cute little carry bag, and takes up about 1/6th the space of the stool we have been carrying behind the driver's seat for a couple of years.

We thought we might need a stool, and on very rare occasions we do, but mostly the flat top is used for the crock pot when we are in a campsite with picnic table.

Smaller is better.

And, it's aluminum!

Maggie

18" Base Camp Side Table
Old 03-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
In its' little case.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2993621281.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	457.0 KB
ID:	181581  
Old 03-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #87
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Front Royal , Virginia
I found a table at Camping World. It adjusts to 2 different heights. The Item Number is 69103 (new item). I have the folding table but I didn't think it was stable enough.

SGT DAVE
SGT DAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This one? Just a bit bigger.

The one we got seems plenty sturdy for what we need it for, although wouldn't withstand a full frontal assault by a dog or young child.

We're also envisioning setting it up between the benches at the rear, for coffee, wine, etc. . When we are parked for awhile, this would be very handy.

There is a pedestal table that came with our unit, but it runs the length of the benches and for storage takes up the entire space under one bench. Left it home after the first trip,

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3854682197.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	181592  
Old 03-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #89
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
These are great suggestions. Very cool products.

We just spent 6 weeks on the road, 5 of them in our 16' Bambi; and often in National Park campgrounds with no hook-ups, wi-fi or even cell phone service.

For anyone who hasn't seen the inside of one of "the little guys" our model basically comes with 3 overhead cupboards, a half-closet, a bed with some space underneath it (currently where our dog sleeps,) some magazine racks, an under-the counter fridge, coat rack, 1 small sink, dinette cum second bed, a pull-out shelf, and a small wet bath (toilet, medicine cabinet, shower.)

And that's it!

The indispensible space-savers on this last trip (which some of you are doing already):

1. A couple of small battery-powered lanterns with LED lights. Good outside as well as inside when we wanted to spare the batteries during those long nights in February.

2. Stacking sturdy plastic dishpans. These double as dish and utensil organizers in the overhead bin as well as dish pans, a second sink, &c.

3. A Kindle. Where we had wi-fi, I loaded up on books, to be read on nights when we didn't. We also have an automobile charger for it. Really cuts down on the physical volume of reading material.

4. A laptop. Where we had wi-fi we could stream most news programs of interest. (We also listen to a lot of NPR.) We bought all 3 seasons of Downton Abbey DVDs and watched them on many a night. (We're at the point where TVs are becoming obsolete, anyway.)

Oftentimes we ran the DVDs off the laptop battery in places where we had no power hook-up. We either recharged it with the generator or with an inverter we bought at an auto-supply store. This plugs into the vehicle cigarette lighter.

One could store recipes on the laptop, or probably download a favourite cookbook on Kindle.

5. An overhead type of plastic laundry-drying rack. Basically it comes with a coat-hook attached to a square frame to which are attached clothespins. You can hang it on a tree or your rear-view mirror. Good for wet swim suits and dish towels. The whole thing collapses flat for storage.

6. A truck with a canopy (cap) on the back for luggage and gear. Smaller gym-type bags with a few changes to in the Bambi.

The big issue is getting along with your spouse when confined to a small space for several weeks!
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We broke down and bought our first Nook about 2 years ago, solely because of the space-taking nature of books. We would start out with books, send home the ones we wanted to keep and leave others in campgrounds for others to use. Then, we'd get more books and repeat the process.

We carried a laptop until the hard drive went out a couple of years ago, probably from using it on a bumpy road. We have an Ipad now, and love it. Perfect, compact, easy to use.

And, yes, the getting along thing is critical. Got to have all your stuff dealt with before you take on living and traveling in close quarters.

Maggie
Old 03-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #91
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
We broke down and bought our first Nook about 2 years ago, solely because of the space-taking nature of books. We would start out with books, send home the ones we wanted to keep and leave others in campgrounds for others to use. Then, we'd get more books and repeat the process.

We carried a laptop until the hard drive went out a couple of years ago, probably from using it on a bumpy road. We have an Ipad now, and love it. Perfect, compact, easy to use.

Maggie
I bought an ASUS tablet computer (Android operating system) to use on the road, but still sometimes carry my laptop as well. The tablet has apps for both Nook and Kindle. In addition to books I've downloaded, I also saved my Airstream owner's manual and Sprinter owner's manuals to it, since the tablet also has an Adobe PDF reader on it.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #92
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Hi Maggie-- The big problem we've had with smart phones or tablets is that we live in Canada but travel to the US frequently, and our data roaming charges in the US are just prohibitive. A lot of Canadian snowbirds buy cheap US cell phones and plans while they're in the US, but these don't help much when wanting Weather Bug (or somesuch) to show the weather map for the road ahead. Our smart phone is great for travel in Canada, but proved worthless in Death Valley, Mojave National Preserve, &c. (Sadly, our Canadian provider doesn't pick up Verizon-- just AT&T & T-mobile.)

We bought a Samsung Galaxy Nexus precisely because we were told we could change its SIM card while in the US (it's not locked) but nobody at the Verizon outlets we contacted would do this. Sadly.

Re: the spouse issue. We determined that only one of us could be doing something in the centre of the Bambi at one time. This means that if one person is washing-up or cooking, the other person is either seated, lying down, or outside! (We otherwise refer to our do-si-do manoevers.)
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #93
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
Hi Maggie-- The big problem we've had with smart phones or tablets is that we live in Canada but travel to the US frequently, and our data roaming charges in the US are just prohibitive. A lot of Canadian snowbirds buy cheap US cell phones and plans while they're in the US, but these don't help much when wanting Weather Bug (or somesuch) to show the weather map for the road ahead. Our smart phone is great for travel in Canada, but proved worthless in Death Valley, Mojave National Preserve, &c. (Sadly, our Canadian provider doesn't pick up Verizon-- just AT&T & T-mobile.)

We bought a Samsung Galaxy Nexus precisely because we were told we could change its SIM card while in the US (it's not locked) but nobody at the Verizon outlets we contacted would do this. Sadly.

Re: the spouse issue. We determined that only one of us could be doing something in the centre of the Bambi at one time. This means that if one person is washing-up or cooking, the other person is either seated, lying down, or outside! (We otherwise refer to our do-si-do manoevers.)
Hehehe. I came back from the bath house on our Christmas trip to find my darling bride had kicked everyone including the dog outside. It was our longest trip to date and around day nine she needed some time to herself. After that we were good for three or four more days.
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Aaah, Canada. We have Verizon problems up there, so understand that. We simply have not spent much time in Canada, largely because of these issues.......and the cost of diesel.

Our biggest adjustment when we got the Interstate was to the narrow galley area. Definitely a one-at-a-time space.

It's not for everybody. But, when it works, it is very, very good.

Maggie
Old 03-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #95
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
I'm living stationary in my 66 Overlander and recently removed the front gaucho. All that was left when I got it was the frame and rebuilding and reupholstering it would have been cost prohibitive for me. In the gaucho's place I put a Mission Style Convertable Sofa/Futon from Decorators Collection. I tried to post the link and a picture, but haven't been able to in the forum... It works really well and will fold down into an extra bunk whcih is a plus because I'll be taking out one of the twin bunks to make myself an art studio area... I'll try to post pics in my gallery...
DDDavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:22 AM   #96
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Living and traveling in a small space, with dark-stained cabinets/woodwork, inevitably creates the occasional nick, scratch or stressed area that needs touch-up.

We have in the past done this when home with a small can of stain. Found these at the Ace Hardware Store on Edisto Island a few weeks back, and they are MAGNIFICENT! Do the job, and store easily.

These come in all the usual stain shades, and operate like a paint pen. Touch up the area, wait a minute and wipe to blend.

Voila! No muss, no fuss.

Maggie
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sprinter Vans circa 2006 and older do not have ready-made screens available for the cargo door.

We ordered one of these from bugoffscreen.com and it arrived today. Got the 48"x80", which covers the entire entrance. Good quality, flexible screen in black, adjustable tension rod and falls just below the running board. All for the bargain price of $49.95 plus S&H.

It is perfect for what we need....camping in buggy weather, when you want to be outside but it is such a pain to have to either keep opening/closing the door or chase down and suck up the flying/biting critters with the hand vac when you are ready to go in for the night.

It rolls up nicely and slips inside the windshield cover case, storing under a rear bench.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	182524  
Old 06-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #98
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
2007 30' Classic
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
reno , Nevada
Making that bed !!

Anyone have any great ideas for making up the bed in a 25FB ? Talk about getting your exercise but we'd rather not have to pay a chiropractor to fix our backs every time we make it ! We've seen the ad's for the RV Superbag but $290 seems like a LOT of money for what it is. Does anyone have any great ideas to simplify short of using sleeping bags ??
jomondnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have been 6 years in our Interstate and have decided that an unusual bed requires unusual bedding, There is nothing to tuck bedding into, and everything wants to slide and shift in the night.

We bought a thick, comfy mattress pad, the kind with straps to fit around the mattress corners. We cut the straps off and lay it on the bed at night.

We bought an all-season down comforter, the thin one, and a washable cover.

This is our bedding, No sheets, works great. Wash the mattress pad and cover every week, just like you would your sheets.

Less is better.

Maggie
Old 06-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #100
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
2007 30' Classic
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
reno , Nevada
Thats a great idea. Even in our front bed where we do have room to tuck in the sheets, it's a major production every morning to get the bed made ! Pillows all over the trailer while we try to tuck and straighten everything out ! I guess you have to resign yourself to not having your bedding be like you have at home. Your system has gotten my wheels turning ! Thank you !
jomondnv is offline   Reply With Quote