Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2016, 07:27 PM   #781
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
An advantage to the 3 canister model is that the mounting framework is large enough to lend itself to good mounting tape....the single canister would require drilling holes.
Well, you've inspired me to pull my fool OEM smoke detector off the cabinet endcap and finally magnetize it. Of all the items that SHOULD be magnetized in that rig, the smoke detector is number one because I have to remove it every time I make toast anyway. With a magnet, I can place it on the magnetic organizer board behind the driver's seat, or on the back doors, or in the glove box when I need it NOT to go off first thing in the morning.

I layered up two business card holders and super-glued them on, because there's a small rim on this smoke detector that is a bit proud of the back plate and I needed the extra thickness. Not sure this will be strong enough so I may resort to neodymiums.

I wanted to free up that cabinet endcap to instead hold something far more valuable than a smoke detector that can be placed almost anywhere. I love those canisters that you found but there's not room for three of them on the endcap. But now I've made ready for the really super-cool organizational thing that will come along next, and I'll know it when I see it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160202.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	543.4 KB
ID:	256708  
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:03 PM   #782
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Rochester , Washington
My first post. Only have 800 miles on our 2016 Interstate GTX. My first space saving test is making use of the extensive space in the microwave drawer. A wash tub in there gives us room to store the breakfast lunch and snack dishes till after dinner when I wash everything. Another reason for my attachment to the Interstate floor plan was the external/outdoor hookups for propane stove/grill, 12/120 power for coffee hotplate fan..., hot/cold water (where I plan to do most of the KP), lighting, awning, etc and avoid collisions in the confined space inside.

We upgraded from the 21ft in the toiletless VW Eurovan Camper which served our passion for minimalist travel. We can still park in alleys and on city streets (two spaces though) with our 24.5 foot Interstate. If we take the alaska ferry again, it is 25 feet, not 50'.

See you soon,

jp3
JP Munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:25 PM   #783
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Rochester , Washington
I have a question about the LATCH system for attaching child safety seats. I need help from Interstate users who have the motorized bench lounge in the rear. Our Interstate GTX has no captain chairs in the second row behind the driver. Those are the only seats that have the attachments for the top teather. My grandkids are coming and I have to move fast. HELP!
JP Munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:45 PM   #784
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Munson View Post
I have a question about the LATCH system for attaching child safety seats. I need help from Interstate users who have the motorized bench lounge in the rear. Our Interstate GTX has no captain chairs in the second row behind the driver. Those are the only seats that have the attachments for the top teather. My grandkids are coming and I have to move fast. HELP!

Take a look at this thread on the LATCH system:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131478

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:20 AM   #785
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
My first post. Only have 800 miles on our 2016 Interstate GTX. My first space saving test is making use of the extensive space in the microwave drawer. A wash tub in there gives us room to store the breakfast lunch and snack dishes till after dinner when I wash everything. Another reason for my attachment to the Interstate floor plan was the external/outdoor hookups for propane stove/grill, 12/120 power for coffee hotplate fan..., hot/cold water (where I plan to do most of the KP), lighting, awning, etc and avoid collisions in the confined space inside.

We upgraded from the 21ft in the toiletless VW Eurovan Camper which served our passion for minimalist travel. We can still park in alleys and on city streets (two spaces though) with our 24.5 foot Interstate. If we take the alaska ferry again, it is 25 feet, not 50'.

See you soon,

jp3
Congratulations, and welcome!

Maggie
Old 02-03-2016, 03:28 AM   #786
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
"I love those canisters that you found but there's not room for three of them on the end cap."

I ordered them.

I'm going to mount them on the wall area, just to the right of the window in the galley. Three sets of heavy-duty mounting tapes should do it.

Oatmeal, mueslix, trail mix, etc....

Pretty, functional, and space saving.

Maggie
Old 02-03-2016, 05:59 AM   #787
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Webstaurant has the best price on these, by a good $10 or so...if anyone is looking.

Maggie
Old 02-03-2016, 06:10 AM   #788
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
.... My first space saving test is making use of the extensive space in the microwave drawer. A wash tub in there gives us room to store the breakfast lunch and snack dishes till after dinner when I wash everything. ...

jp3
Welcome to Air Forums!

Sounds like you found a good workaround for what is, IMO, the most tedious on-the-road task - the dishes. I use a Prepworks by Progressive collapsible dish pan which I stash in a cabinet under the couch (too large for my microwave). On short solo trips, I will accumulate dirty dishes and not wash them until I get back to my own stick-and-brick double kitchen sink.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:24 AM   #789
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
[I]

I'm going to mount them on the wall area, just to the right of the window in the galley. Three sets of heavy-duty mounting tapes should do it.
Maggie
They would, indeed, fit superbly in that space. And bulk dry food storage is a challenge that I have not yet solved, so I am wishing I could find somewhere else for them, because I use my right-of-window space for my growing gallery of art- and souvenir-related stuff. And I can't lose the gallery no matter how space-impractical it may be, because nothing puts a smile on my face like walking into that truck and seeing it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1-IMG_2052.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	386.9 KB
ID:	256726  
Old 02-03-2016, 06:45 AM   #790
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I understand...I had artwork there, too, but have spent several hours over the last couple of days taking them down and cleaning that wall area of sticky bits. I had also entertained thoughts of putting them toward the top of the closet door.

Time to redecorate a bit.

I have dry goods under the sink to the left, where they fit and even stack around the sink base.....in clear, round plastic containers of several sizes from the Container Store, which don't have thick edgings on the container or lids like Rubbermaid and others do.

It has worked fine, but oft-used items such as oatmeal requiring pulling things out, then putting back and restacking. A bit of a pia, when a turn of a crank with these will suffice for many breakfasts before needing to be refilled.

I get rid of all boxes and bulky packaging that I can, as soon as I get back from the grocery store.

Items like flour, rice, crackers, etc., can either go into freezer Ziplocs or remain in their own bags, minus their box. You can store these in a rectangular fabric basket under the counter in the galley area, to keep them from slip-sliding all around.

Once original bags are open, just use a clip to seal them back up. I've been known to open cracker bags, squeeze the air out, and clip, just to reduce the space needed to store them.

Maggie
Old 02-04-2016, 01:25 PM   #791
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My 3 canister whatever dispensers arrived today, and they are perfect for the area I wanted to put them in.

Sturdy, the canisters snap tightly in place, and a little cap goes into the base to keep things fresh.

The attached cups are graded to 1 cup.

I like.

Maggie
Old 02-05-2016, 05:29 AM   #792
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
My 3 canister whatever dispensers arrived today, and they are perfect for the area I wanted to put them in.

Sturdy, the canisters snap tightly in place, and a little cap goes into the base to keep things fresh.

The attached cups are graded to 1 cup.

I like.

Maggie
Pic!!
Old 02-05-2016, 05:41 AM   #793
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I like them staggered....they look a bit "food service" all at the same height.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	375.1 KB
ID:	256839  
Old 02-05-2016, 05:48 AM   #794
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I don't eat dry cereal, but for my own mueslix, but if you were into Cheerios, Raisin Bran, etc., these would be great.

The 13 oz container capacity actually holds quite a lot. I emptied my oatmeal container under the sink into this, but for a couple of cups leftover that went into a plastic bag. Gone.

The directions caution buyers not to put things like flour, sugar, etc., in these, which would be too heavy, I think.... especially on a wall that moves.

I used a 4-pack of heavy duty Velcro fasteners across the back, to affix the framework to the wall, which is flat and lays flush.

Each fastener is supposed to hold 35 lbs, so there should be no problem.

I'm very pleased with them, and they go perfectly in here.

Maggie
Old 02-05-2016, 07:11 AM   #795
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Very cool!
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:10 PM   #796
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
I get the best ideas on this site, from this thread. Love the canisters.
Schools Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:36 PM   #797
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And....they work great.

Maggie
Old 02-06-2016, 08:21 AM   #798
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
I like them staggered....they look a bit "food service" all at the same height.
This is a great find, Maggie. The stylistic conformance to the Interstate is superb.

T1N-ers, look at this mock-up pic below. I took digital images of the dispensers and overlaid them on a pic of the end cap, very closely to reported scale. I don't want to give up my wall space for a three-pack of these, but with the smoke detector re-assigned to another location and the end cap of the cabinet freed up, there is room for two singletons there.

It's probably going to be necessary for me to drop the height of the one on the left, as I showed here, to accommodate the total width including side clamps which I cropped from this overlay for clarity. However, like Maggie, I prefer the staggered height - it looks better anyway, especially because the cabinetry is slanted at the wall join. If I position them carefully, I can make the clamp from the one on the right hide the old drill hole for the smoke detector. Because this end cap was already drilled by Airstream, I don't hesitate to drill again to hold these - I'm already committed to covering up the end cap somehow because of the existing holes.

Pleasing design is all about repetition and cross-referencing which gives rise to a feeling of cohesion. The gray color of the plastic matches the adjacent head-bumper for the sliding door. The handle design repeats the knob on the Fantastic. And the metal parts reflect the aluminum cladding.

The best price I found if buying singletons is Wayfair. Webstaurant wanted $24.29 for shipping. Wayfair was a tad more expensive per unit, but they only wanted $4.99 for shipping. Amazon vendors did not have reasonable offers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160206_DISPENSERS.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	256888  
Old 02-06-2016, 08:32 AM   #799
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Be careful when drilling holes in the wood, as we don't know exactly what is behind there.

Doug always went to shorter screws than anything came with, to be sure penetration was not quite the depth of the wood.

The little dispenser paddles are silicone, which makes for a very clean and leak resistant seal at the base, also the small caps for the bottom finish the seal job.

Looking at these, I have decided I will take the canisters off while driving, and just lay them on the seat beneath, lest any serious sway or torquing that can occur getting in and out of gas stations, etc., throw one loose.

Seems the sensible thing to do.

Maggie
Old 02-06-2016, 12:26 PM   #800
2 Rivet Member

Rohnert Park , California
Quote:
I have several of these in the upper galley cabinet, mounted in that unused space on the side and back walls. "Mix Packet Pockets" at the Container Store.
I've been looking for something exactly like this to organize mix packets in the kitchen and seed packets in the garage. I can't find them on the Container Store site or anywhere else for that matter. Anybody know where to find them?
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote