Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2013, 06:08 AM   #41
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
We charge while driving, too, especially when doing a lot of dry camping---but then there's all those things sliding around up front. What to do with that?
Velcro. Long strip of Velcro hooks on the dash, short strips of Velcro loops on the backs of the devices. The loops are kinder to hands and pockets, so the loops go on the devices.

Can also work in the galley or wherever you plug in your 120vAC-powered chargers, to stick the devices to the wall, or the front of an overhead locker, or wherever else happens to be out of the way.

Plus, if you put Velcro hooks on the door of an overhead locker, you can put some Velcro loops on the back of a clipboard, and use it to hang whatever recipe you're using at the time so it doesn't take up counter space. Same clipboard can then be used on your dashboard (where you've put Velcro for charging your devices) to hold your road atlas in place in transit.

I did something similar with the television remote; Velcro loops on the back of the remote, a strip of Velcro hooks on the back of the television, taking care not to cover up any of the vent slots on the TV. Then, when I'm not watching TV, the remote is stuck to the TV where I can find it next time I need it.

I didn't do the other stuff I've suggested, though. Not yet, at least. But having suggested them, I think I will.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:14 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmm, Velcro hooks are a great idea! I can think of lots of ways to use those in cabinets to hold small items up and in view. Am always trying to think of ways to use that dead space on the sides and backs of cabinets.

I have strips of Velcro in the back of the spice shelves in the galley, then attach a piece to the back of whatever and it is secure for travel---rather than bouncing out onto the floor, leaving its' contents everywhere.

I wonder if the heat that the dash gets would detach the Velcro strips when in use? We have had that problem with other small things we have tried to attach up there.

Maggie
Old 01-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #43

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
I wonder if the heat that the dash gets would detach the Velcro strips when in use? We have had that problem with other small things we have tried to attach up there.
Can't say, but if buy more than you need, you have extra to stick on a new strip if one comes loose over time.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Perhaps, a segment of us is moving towards microsizing of our living space. Here are three photos of how a "living room" table also doubles as a bathtub space!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-196780010.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	176928

Name:	image-920381319.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	176929

Name:	image-513908855.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	176930

and today, I found this info in Grist. Here is a paragraph of that article, entitled:

"Peace in a pod: How tiny apartments could reshape the big city
By Claire Thompson
Grist.org

Microhousing — a catch-all term for ultra-compact apartments that sometimes share common spaces — offers a way to reconcile rising urban housing prices with a financially struggling generation’s preference for city living. It’s proliferating in cities where the tension between those contradictory trends is most acute: Seattle, San Francisco, New York, Vancouver. San Francisco updated its city code to allow developers to build smaller individual units (a minimum of 150 square feet), and New York is reviewing design proposals for a pilot microhousing project of apartments around 275 to 300 square feet. Seattle’s approach has been a bit messier."

What caught my eye was the square footage of these apartments -- minimum of 150 square feet. How many square feet is the Interstate?

And most apartments don't have access to the beautiful outdoors that you find with a Bvan.

Protagonist -- your Velcro sounds like a strategy that would work.

Peggy
Mockinbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
I forgot this photo that was part of the Grist.org article.

Name:   image-1773288803.jpg
Views: 2276
Size:  24.2 KB

Anyone ever feel like this?

Peggy
Mockinbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #46

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockinbrd View Post
How many square feet is the Interstate?
Hard to measure interior dimensions, because with the various built-ins, it's not uniform. Outside dimensions, a standard-size Interstate is 22'9" long, bumper-to-bumper, and 6'7" wide at floor level. So, the whole vehicle's footprint is right around 149 square feet, including the engine compartment and other non-living space.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockinbrd View Post

Attachment 176931

Anyone ever feel like this?

Peggy
Only when showering in there.

It's a bit close, but gets the job done. Hot running water is hot running water.

Maggie
Old 01-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I use one of those, too, on the passenger seat. Behind the front passenger seat I've got a Mercedes Benz Sprinter coat hanger, where I hang my raincoat, or whatever jacket I'm using for cold-weather trips. It's a lot better than the el-cheapo aftermarket seat-back coat hanger I used to use.
Was this a pic of the British version of the Sprinter or was the pic reversed?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Yoweee! You're an observant fella!

Never noticed the steering wheel there.

Maggie
Old 01-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
Vintage 17' is small too!

We have NO drawers other than 3 skinny ones in the "kitchen-ette." I was at a loss for socks/t-shirts/pants, you know, stuff one puts in drawers. We have a "wardrobe" with 2 doors, one clothes rod, and a shortened hanging space due to the wheel well. So, I went with hanging sweater "bag" with compartments. You can even get fabric drawers for them which we each have one for the small stuff. So, Mike and I each have one of these hanging wardrobes which fits an amazing amount of clothing for a trip. I think I got it either at the container store or target. Maybe both :-)

Tina
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NaturalHangingCnvsSwtrBg300.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	176938  
Old 01-18-2013, 04:56 AM   #51

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Not sure. Downloaded the picture off the Internet rather than taking a pic of my own, since I was at work when I posted the picture. Important point is, the hanger works on either front seat. I put mine on the passenger front seat because right by the sliding side door seems to be the best place to hang a jacket or coat that I want to wear when I step out of the vehicle, but not wear while I'm driving.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:18 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Directly behind our drivers seat is narrow space and then a wall, the other side of which is the bathroom.

Ours came with no racks for magazines, etc., so had a carpenter custom build two racks for the rear, one at the front end of each bench. Also, a larger/wider/taller rack that goes directly behind the drivers seat,

Made out of cherry and stained to match the interior, they are beautiful and absolutely essential. Magazines, Nooks, my recipe binder , etc., in the rear, and the atlas/other maps up front where the passenger/navigator can reach them.

We have three aluminum-look 3M hooks staggered on the wall above the front rack, where we hang fleece jackets, a rain jacket, and other lightweight items.

Maggie
Old 01-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday'59 View Post

Ug! It's all of this stuff!! These things are my nemesis in small space living.... especially in the everything-needs-charged department. I have cables and electronics out my ears! We had the foresight to put a 12v outlet in one cabinet but there are so many electronics that need homes! I'm still looking for a cable-reducing simplified charging station for all of our gadgets.

Come to think of it... I doubt all of these things take up less space than the recipe box.
Okay. At the Rv show in Shreveport I found something I liked. It was a $60,000 fifth-wheel - but not the whole thing, just this.

Name:	image-4051071500.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	457.3 KB
ID:	177010

A key rack and

Name:	image-4151801289.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	410.3 KB
ID:	177011

Open up and have 12v, USB, and a receptacle along with a pocket up top to hold devices. It's even labeled "Cell Phone charging station".

I might just have to build me one of these.
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgriffrus View Post
Okay. At the Rv show in Shreveport I found something I liked. It was a $60,000 fifth-wheel - but not the whole thing, just this.

Attachment 177010

A key rack and

Attachment 177011

Open up and have 12v, USB, and a receptacle along with a pocket up top to hold devices. It's even labeled "Cell Phone charging station".

Cool! Make a few extra, I'm sure you could sell them at rallies.

Maggie
Old 01-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:

Attachment 177010

A key rack and

Attachment 177011

Neat idea, the design could use a little work though, I would set it up with the plugs on the sides of a piece in the middle pointing towards the ends and a hole in each end of the device rack to run the cords so the door could be shut while charging.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I just ordered one of these.

Not sure what I will use it for, but I'm sure I will find something.

2 1/2 gallon capacity. Too cute to pass up!

Maggie

Collapsible Utility Tub, Folding Tub | Solutions
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #57

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Not sure what I will use it for, but I'm sure I will find something.

2 1/2 gallon capacity, Too cute to pass up!

Collapsible Utility Tub, Folding Tub | Solutions
I have one of those (or rather, one similar) and already have found some uses for it:

1 - Carry your bath supplies in it when going to the public showers.
2 - In the galley as a second sink. Wash in it, rinse in the real sink, or vice versa.
3 - Use in place of a bucket when washing your vehicle, inside or out.
4 - Soak your feet in it after a hard day's hiking (saves having to put in the stopper in your shower drain and fill the shower floor with water).
5 - If you have to change a tire, drop your lugnuts in it after you remove them, so they don't get lost.
6 - In transit, use it as a liner to turn the microwave into another storage compartment.
7 - When preparing meals, line it with foil, and use it to catch potato peelings and other food waste from your prep work.
8 - As a drawer substitute in one of your cabinets to hold socks, underwear, etc.

Maybe you'll need to pick up another one?
Old 01-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Wow!

I have two dishpans already, one sitting inside the other. Round ones are so hard to find (Walmart in spring/summer outdoor section), especially in that lovely red I like. . One for dishes, one for cleaning.

Cutting up and serving a large watermelon

Washing large quantities of fresh produce

Washing out seashells

Maggie
Old 01-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:

Any idea of part or model number or mfg. for the electronic chassis itself?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Quote:

Any idea of part or model number or mfg. for the electronic chassis itself?
I don't. I know they were in Palomino Columbus fifth wheels, but I didn't get a picture of the manufacturer.

I'm probably going to go and get a couple of these of one manufacturer or another.

Name:	image-2913736770.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	177053

There's an outlet on each side of my Ambassador in the middle bedroom layout that doesn't have much use and I've thought about replacing them with these for charging.
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote