Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2013, 07:32 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
Yes, it worked well. Two adults (us) on back bed. Two grandkids on captain chairs, and two adults outside in Fiama Privacy Room on cots. 6 is max.
eliasurbina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Sounds like a great idea. Got any pics of the setup? You promised earlier.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Sounds like a great idea. Got any pics of the setup? You promised earlier.
Yes
Please send pics
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #24
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
As the kids get older we are finding that bringing a tent along for the oldest one or two is a great way to keep the peace. Most campgrounds tolerate a trailer plus a tent, the oldest is reasonably responsible about setting and breaking camp, and the younger kids are fine on the dinette and gaucho.

Everyone gets the benefit of the galley and the systems in the trailer, and if the weather is really bad we can fit all 5 at night.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2012 Interstate Coach
Palo Alto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliasurbina View Post
I am figuring this out myself. I just bought the 2013 I3500 Ext. and decided to use the 4 captains chairs with front seats leaning back to second row seats with custom made cushions to make two extra beds for grandkids. The cushions make the seats level for sleeping on the captains chairs with headrest on second row to front seats for footrest. I am using natural latex for seat cushions medium support to create the bed.

When completed I will try to post pics.
Can you post pictures? How has it worked out? Do you think it would work for kids ages 9-15? Other ideas? Any other alternatives?
roadmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2012 Interstate Coach
Palo Alto , California
Quote:
I also agree with the Fiamma solution as I intend to use 2 cots also within the Florida room.

I am also putting a xtend a room out the back doors that will use a portable stage about 16" high 8' X 8' to put a queen size air mattress.

These additions will give me sleeping capacity of 8 people overall (2 on king size bed and 2 on captains chairs inside I3500; and 2 on cots in Florida room and 2 on Xtend a Room on queen air sleeper.

I suppose tents would make do as well but I cannot help myself to try to engineer an 8 sleeper out of a 2 sleeper when the whole family jumps in with us.
How did the xtend a room work on your AI? I'm getting a 2012 AI and desperately trying to figure out how I can get me and my three kids (15, 12, 9 years) and on occasion my husband sleeping areas in the trailer. We generally are a family that doesn't mind being in close quarters with each other. I was thinking of getting the xtend a room like you did and having the older kids sleep there. Thoughts?
Old 07-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
To All,

Very sorry for not responding sooner.

Sleep 2 on extended Bench Seat to King Size
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1743.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	190549

Sleep 2 Adults on extended Captain Chairs Cot size

Name:	IMG_1746.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	190550

Sleep 2 Adults in Fiamma Privacy Room to Cots

Name:	IMG_1739.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	280.9 KB
ID:	190551

Extend a Room did not work out from back of vehicle (too much trouble for floor base), instead use Fiamma Privacy Room.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
More Pics

This shows different angle

Name:	IMG_1744.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	257.1 KB
ID:	190552

This is passenger side

Name:	IMG_1747.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	190553

Installed Bidet to toilet for picky ones

Name:	IMG_1748.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	190554
Old 07-08-2013, 11:19 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2012 Interstate Coach
Palo Alto , California
Thanks for posting the pictures. Where did you get the brown seats that goes between the two captain seats?
Old 07-09-2013, 06:18 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
They are the front seats folded backwards. The front seats I have were originally Airstream but I had them customized with real brown leather.

The gray cushions are natural latex that are 5" thick to create a comfortable sleep where it counts. On cushion is on seat on the front and the other smaller cushion is on the seat in the middle. You sleep head in the front feet on the middle seat.

This works really well for adults and should work great for smaller ones.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:22 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
Also, to stow, I find leaving the very back cushions for King bed down on railing (these are the cushions behind the bench seat stow up on the side of the vehicle except leaving them down instead of up position) helps to put these cushions and all bedding. This leave space below in back under the railing for luggage and plenty of room on top for bedding.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:31 AM   #32
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Also, to stow, I find leaving the very back cushions for King bed down on railing (these are the cushions behind the bench seat stow up on the side of the vehicle except leaving them down instead of up position) helps to put these cushions and all bedding. This leave space below in back under the railing for luggage and plenty of room on top for bedding.
Those "very back cushions" are only available on the Extended model. for a non-extended model, there's very little room back there, and no fold-down sections. In my non-extended model, I use the side-facing ottoman under the passenger-side hanging cabinet to store my bedding; it's not usable as a seat anyway due to the low cabinet overhead.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #33

2013 Interstate Coach
Pawling , New York
Eliasurbina, those cushions are a great idea! Any chance we could get the dimensions to order up some of our own? Thanks.
number9ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:15 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

St amant , Louisiana
Quote:
To All,

Very sorry for not responding sooner.

Sleep 2 on extended Bench Seat to King Size
Attachment 190549

Sleep 2 Adults on extended Captain Chairs Cot size
Attachment 190550

Sleep 2 Adults in Fiamma Privacy Room to Cots
Attachment 190551

Extend a Room did not work out from back of vehicle (too much trouble for floor base), instead use Fiamma Privacy Room.

Really interested in your Fiamma Privacy room. I am trying to put together something for the kids to sleep. They are a bit your for their own tent so need to buy some time. Can you send more pics and info on how your set up is. That is a great pic of that room. Just need more to get a good idea of what you gat going on.
Thanks!
SwampRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:39 PM   #35

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRV View Post
Really interested in your Fiamma Privacy room. I am trying to put together something for the kids to sleep. They are a bit your for their own tent so need to buy some time.
I used to have a Fiamma Privacy Room, until it got destroyed in a very windy dust storm in Farmington, NM in 2015. On the plus side, in the process of being destroyed, it still added enough weight to the edges of my deployed awning that the awning itself survived. On the minus side, if I had needed to put away the awning in a hurry due to an impending storm, it would have taken at least half an hour to take down the Privacy Room and retract the awning. And that's without taking the time to properly put away the awning panels afterward. So the Fiamma Privacy Room should be considered strictly a good-weather addition.

And the Fiamma Privacy Room will only work with the Fiamma F65s awning. It will not work with the newer Fiamma F65Eagle auto-retract awning.

Since the demise of my Privacy Room, I have used a free-standing screen room. First a 10'×10' Coleman, with screen walls that I could add, and three sunshade walls that I could add along with the screening to provide privacy on every side but the entrance (which I would set up facing the motorhome).

But that proved unwieldy to set up and take down, so I replaced it with a hexagonal Clam Corp. free-standing screen room. Easy to set up and take down by just one person, once you get the hang of it. And I also got five wall panels for it that I can add to provide privacy on every side but the entrance, which I set up facing the motorhome.

I haven't used the walls for the Clam Corp. screen room yet, because the screening has been enough for my purposes. But if I need them, I've got them.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:44 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I also got the clam with 5 walls. Saved the weekend on a cold windy rainy trip last fall....for 3 couples.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:08 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

St amant , Louisiana
Quote:
Really interested in your Fiamma Privacy room. I am trying to put together something for the kids to sleep. They are a bit your for their own tent so need to buy some time. Can you send more pics and info on how your set up is. That is a great pic of that room. Just need more to get a good idea of what you gat going on.
Thanks!

Sorry but that should read "they are a bit YOUNG for their own tent"
Old 08-17-2017, 12:02 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

St amant , Louisiana
Any pics of the clam to offer?
Thanks!
Old 08-17-2017, 12:04 PM   #39

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Any pics of the clam to offer?
https://www.amazon.com/Clam-Corporat...am+screen+tent
Old 08-17-2017, 01:57 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Las vegas , Washington
And now for an inelegant solution... when things get crowded in my AI bed, I sweep up and take an inflatable camping pad I bought at Costco (photo attached) and sleep on the floor of my vehicle. It's surprisingly comfortable. My head ends up between driver and front passenger seat (it gets real tight in the aisle btw the kitchen and bath). It did take me a few sore nights to realize the bump that holds table into floor protrudes enough to leave my back sore if I sleep on my back all night. I usually sleep on my side for part of the night as a result. It sounds a bit ghetto, but I've done it 4 nights in a row and probably slept better than I would on a crowded bed. I doubt this is a solution for two, but it probably works for one of your teens.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9347.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	292515  
elgo is offline   Reply With Quote