Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2020, 05:53 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Skating winterization-have you done it?

We have the option of garaging our Interstate until it gets put in winter storage. It is not the easiest as it has to be pulled out for business in the morning. I also may still have to use it for a few weeks this year and we are looking at lows of 35(ish) at night for the next few weeks. This means I would have to travel and not have it garaged for some of the nights.

Being fully aware most will say winterize it, is there anyone who has skated the 32 degree mark to leave it without winterizing with any success? My disclaimer, during normal times, I would be winterizing it and not chancing it.
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I just looked at accuweather for cedar rapids. No lows go below 32 for the rest of October. Now, I'm not sure how accurate accuweather is. Plus, living in the city, vs out in the country, etc. etc.

I don't own an interstate. If I were in your shoes I'd park it inside on nights it was to be closest to 32.

It's a gamble, this winterizing thing. I'm always on the safe side, if in doubt, blow it out, and for insurance, I add the pink.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 Ruby
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post
We have the option of garaging our Interstate until it gets put in winter storage. It is not the easiest as it has to be pulled out for business in the morning. I also may still have to use it for a few weeks this year and we are looking at lows of 35(ish) at night for the next few weeks. This means I would have to travel and not have it garaged for some of the nights.

Being fully aware most will say winterize it, is there anyone who has skated the 32 degree mark to leave it without winterizing with any success? My disclaimer, during normal times, I would be winterizing it and not chancing it.
Yes. I have a trailer, but methodology is the same. This time of year, the mass of the unit is warmed during the day. Even down to 29* or below for a few hours wont freeze thing up.
I will not be doing a total winterization this year, as I have a couple more weekends and am leaving for the harshest weather. I will be blowing the lines and using space heaters and tank heaters as necessary here at home. Open cabinets, set the space heaters at 35* and the tank heater on a timer to run, on for 30 minutes and off for an hour, repeatedly during the night.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Nice quote, by the way. So lucky to get to go south for the extreme cold! If I would have to leave the AI out of the garage, it would be a couple hours north which makes it a bit worse, so that’s why I am especially needing to watch the temp issues.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. It may not be an option, I may absolutely still have to use it. I may end up winterizing just to be safe or watch the temps pretty close. I’m glad to know you, at least, hadn’t had issues. We’ll see what happens. Wish it was still in the 70s during the day. We had a pretty decent stretch of weather until now. Never will be ready to tuck her in for the winter, that’s for sure!
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote