Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2018, 10:47 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Dang, you folks are not going to force me to start pulling regs, are you?? I usually get paid when I'm performing that function.

Here in this great nation's deep southern petro-heaven, tanks come in exactly three colors: white, white, and white.

It's not just a smart thing to do - it's actually the law (regs). They have to be white because they heat up less that way, and therefore emit fewer pollution-causing volatiles.

With metal bodies of all types, color does make a significant difference. Whiteness chosen at semi-random, which happens to be Odfjell:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:03 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
The Woodlands , Texas
Silver or Black

As a former Interstate owner and without question....SILVER! When I bought mine, I wanted silver, but the last silver one in my local area was bought just before I could get to it . So, I reluctantly settled on black. I am quite anal about keeping all my vehicles clean and shiny....a daunting task with the Interstate. It always looked dirty to me with dust all over it and washing was a chore with the hard to reach areas. Waxing always showed swirl marks in the black paint. The soft bristle brush used to help wash it left very fine brush marks in the paint. It was beautiful when it was clean.
I had dark interior which was easy to care for and did not get hot. However, here in Houston, the inside temp was always hot and took a long time to cool down. Dash AC cooled the front comfortably while driving, but the rear, not so much. The generator needs to be used while driving to cool the rear interior. Kept it one year and sold it!
Johnsrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:04 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
almena , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Dang, you folks are not going to force me to start pulling regs, are you?? I usually get paid when I'm performing that function.

Here in this great nation's deep southern petro-heaven, tanks come in exactly three colors: white, white, and white.

It's not just a smart thing to do - it's actually the law (regs). They have to be white because they heat up less that way, and therefore emit fewer pollution-causing volatiles.

With metal bodies of all types, color does make a significant difference. Whiteness chosen at semi-random, which happens to be Odfjell:

Well

Well....Maybe you should give Loves Truck Stops a call about these regs! Because all of their tankers are painted yellow!!!
mykytiukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:26 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykytiukr View Post
Well

Well....Maybe you should give Loves Truck Stops a call about these regs! Because all of their tankers are painted yellow!!!
There are different regulators for rolling stock and fixed stock. Different regulators, different regs.

I don't know how far the fixed rules reach. They are not universal, according to news stories such as this one (note that it doesn't get nearly as hot in NY as it does in TX):

Albany County legislator wants petroleum tanks painted white to cut pollution
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:27 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
AUSTIN , TX
Well all, Here is how it went down. I went to the dealership with my check in hand and they had a 2019 Silver that i was ready to sign for. As I was walking around the inside and the outside, I caught a glimpse of the black one again. Had to go take a look. I COULDN'T do it. I had to have the black (full transparency.. all 3 other vehicles I own are black - I know.. I have issues). I understand all that comes with black vehicles but I didn't want to regret it and I feared I would. I really appreciate all the input and feedback and I guess I'm going to have to suffer next summer. That said, I am giddy about going to pick up my AI next week and join the rest of you. I did find one with the oyster seats so that makes me happy also. I have always like the black and tan combo (especially in liquid form).

Thanks again all.
EJ
TX-Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:52 PM   #26
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-Newbie View Post
Well all, Here is how it went down. I went to the dealership with my check in hand and they had a 2019 Silver that i was ready to sign for. As I was walking around the inside and the outside, I caught a glimpse of the black one again. Had to go take a look. I COULDN'T do it. I had to have the black (full transparency.. all 3 other vehicles I own are black - I know.. I have issues). I understand all that comes with black vehicles but I didn't want to regret it and I feared I would. I really appreciate all the input and feedback and I guess I'm going to have to suffer next summer. That said, I am giddy about going to pick up my AI next week and join the rest of you. I did find one with the oyster seats so that makes me happy also. I have always like the black and tan combo (especially in liquid form).

Thanks again all.
EJ
TXNEWBIE - CONGRATS! Absolutely nothing wrong with choosing black, heat or no heat. I own the full spectrum of colors myself and fully understand how I maintain each vehicle's color. You have to be happy with it, that is all that matters. Great choice! I have the oyster too. Was worried at first, it's my lightest interior ever. But even with 3 yr. old grandson , it is easy to maintain and keep clean.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:08 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

AUSTIN , TX
Purchased and Thrilled

Hi all,

Wanted to give you an update that I picked up my AI Lounge on Monday. Thrilled to have it. Drove 11 hours straight back to TX. That was a great way for me to get a feel for it. Thank you all much for your help. I think I found exactly what I wanted. Black with the Oyster interior. very bright and open feeling inside. I can't wait for our first outing. Look for me on the road and on the forums.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181010_100135.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	388.7 KB
ID:	324949   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181008_124842.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	341.4 KB
ID:	324950  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181008_124618.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	324951  
Old 10-11-2018, 06:52 AM   #28
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-Newbie View Post
Hi all,

Wanted to give you an update that I picked up my AI Lounge on Monday. Thrilled to have it. Drove 11 hours straight back to TX. That was a great way for me to get a feel for it. Thank you all much for your help. I think I found exactly what I wanted. Black with the Oyster interior. very bright and open feeling inside. I can't wait for our first outing. Look for me on the road and on the forums.
TX-NEWBIE - CONGRATS. Nice, rich black. Exterior
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:51 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

AUSTIN , TX
Thanks much.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:02 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Keswick , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to Camerons
Black interstate is hard to keep cool and clean.

We have a 2016 black interstate. It’ looks great when it’s clean and polished. However that’s a ton of work. It’s also very difficult to keep cool. Airstream does a terrible job of insulation. You will find there is no insulation behind the console just above the driver and passenger seats. I haven’t figured out a way to remove it and install some. As a result that area is very hot if it sunny. I took some pictures with a infra red camera to see where the hot spots are. It highlighted where airstream didn’t insulate well. You will also find the bathroom either smoking hot in the summer or frigid if it’s cold out. Lack of insulation there too.

All that being said. It’s a personal choice. If you want black then it comes with some challenges. Your ac will likely not keep up given the poor insulation airstream installed.
Camerons is offline   Reply With Quote