Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2019, 08:39 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Silence of the Lavs - quieting the weighted ball

You know the weighted ball that helps the lavatory faucet flexible metal hose retract? Anybody else despise the sound it makes as you use the faucet and that ball is bouncing and scraping along the inside of fiberglass enclosure? Fixed.

I used some peel and stick sound deadening mat material.
https://amzn.to/2ly4brp
I had purchased a box of these so I could stick a few sheets to the side of the generator to quiet it somewhat (dismal failure... no db reduction whatsoever). If you want to fix your faucet noise in a similar fashion but don't want to buy a whole box, PM me.

These photos are taken looking down through the access panel behind the sink. The first one is the Before shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3878.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	346786   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3882.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	291.8 KB
ID:	346787  

Name:	IMG_3884.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	346788   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3886.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	346789  

Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:33 AM   #2
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Outstanding!!
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronadora View Post
You know the weighted ball that helps the lavatory faucet flexible metal hose retract? Anybody else despise the sound it makes as you use the faucet and that ball is bouncing and scraping along the inside of fiberglass enclosure? Fixed.

I used some peel and stick sound deadening mat material.
https://amzn.to/2ly4brp
I had purchased a box of these so I could stick a few sheets to the side of the generator to quiet it somewhat (dismal failure... no db reduction whatsoever). If you want to fix your faucet noise in a similar fashion but don't want to buy a whole box, PM me.

These photos are taken looking down through the access panel behind the sink. The first one is the Before shot.
MARK - Excellent fix. AS must have known coz they have this shiny, metallic, padded sheet on that location in mine. Funny thing is I had multiple instances where I opened that panel, looked at that padded sheet and kept wondering why they put it there? But that was because I had very early on my AI's life, I removed the original faucet and replaced with non-pullout faucet. So without seeing that metal weight there, I couldn't figure out it's purpose. The irony is you have the pullout and did not have the padded sheet. I don't have a pullout yet have the padded sheet. You, sir, solved my mystery shiny padded sheet purpose.

Before pic with OEM pullout faucet with lead ball.

Name:	20180513_134554-1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	399.0 KB
ID:	346793

After pic without pullout faucet.

Name:	20180914_155354-1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	346792
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:00 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Liberty Township , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
MARK - Excellent fix. AS must have known coz they have this shiny, metallic, padded sheet on that location in mine. Funny thing is I had multiple instances where I opened that panel, looked at that padded sheet and kept wondering why they put it there? But that was because I had very early on my AI's life, I removed the original faucet and replaced with non-pullout faucet. So without seeing that metal weight there, I couldn't figure out it's purpose. The irony is you have the pullout and did not have the padded sheet. I don't have a pullout yet have the padded sheet. You, sir, solved my mystery shiny padded sheet purpose.

Before pic with OEM pullout faucet with lead ball.
Attachment 346793

After pic without pullout faucet.
Attachment 346792

Tronadora,
Two thumbs up to your fix[emoji106][emoji106]
The problem I had with the pull out faucet was not noise related, but rather due to the weighted slider getting hung up under the sink the flexible handled faucet would only pull out maybe 6”~10”. My fix was to simply remove the weighted slider off of the flexible hose...zero issues since.
Luckysnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I had trouble with the weight getting hung-up on something when trying to retract the nozzle. I created a cone out of a semi-flexible plastic panel, with the weight sliding up and down within the cone. I did not notice any noise before or after fabricating the cone.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:32 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Midland , MI
It frustrating that some plumbing fixture companies still use a weight on these pullout faucets. My kitchen one has a spring that works perfectly. My old faucet had a weight that didn’t work well even with much more generous cabinet room than the AS does. I replaced my weight with a similar spring I salvaged and it works much better. I did this job at the same time I corrected the hot-cold connection which was backward. Hard to understand how they could get it wrong with the faucet lines are marked.
BobnGayl is offline   Reply With Quote