Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Shower floor issues

In my 2011 Airstream Interstate, the floor of the shower is raised in the center so it does not ever completely drain. The water collects around the center of the floor on all sides but does not all drain into the drain, and more collects on the other side of the drain so much so that I have to by hand "push" the water into the drain side no matter how level I park. The shower wall also has a crack in the upper right front corner that keeps reappearing after it is repaired as well that will have to be resolved.

Jackson Center told me the floor area should drain and that this is not normal. But I fear I will run into some hesitation that it be fixed under warranty by the dealer who may claim this in normal, since to remove and replace the shower isn't going to be an easy task at all.

I'm curious if anyone else has encountered this issue. Have you? Does the water all drain out if parked level?

Gerald
Old 12-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I'm not familiar with the specific drain design so I might be wrong, but I'd wonder if the tailpiece that the tub flange is screwed into might be too long. That would cause the tub to be elevated around the drain causing your problem. If that were the case, it would also cause stress around the drain, which would eventually cause the tub to crack/break at that point.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This sounds like a couple of problems that are likely to only get worse over time.

It might be best to have the entire shower stall replaced, either at your dealer or JC.

I would document your conversation with JC, start with your dealer and go from there.

I have never heard of a normal shower floor in an Interstate that was raised in the center so it would not drain.

A pipe behind our toilet was cut too short, and had to be replaced because of continuous leaks. The dealership took advantage of our newness and did patch jobs twice, til the pipe burst and water spewed out when we were out for the weekend. Three trips to the dealer to get this resolved.

Be persistent, document your conversations via email if possible.

Good luck,

Maggie
Old 12-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Having just gutted the potable water tank and piping on 2010 to replace a leaking tank, I was adjacent to the shower drain in mine. I'm betting the drain piping is incorrect and causing your troubles. I'd get it investigated and repaired under warranty. It is not going to get better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Airstream Forums mobile app

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
In my 2011 Airstream Interstate, the floor of the shower is raised in the center so it does not ever completely drain. The water collects around the center of the floor on all sides but does not all drain into the drain, and more collects on the other side of the drain so much so that I have to by hand "push" the water into the drain side no matter how level I park. The shower wall also has a crack in the upper right front corner that keeps reappearing after it is repaired as well that will have to be resolved.

Jackson Center told me the floor area should drain and that this is not normal. But I fear I will run into some hesitation that it be fixed under warranty by the dealer who may claim this in normal, since to remove and replace the shower isn't going to be an easy task at all.

I'm curious if anyone else has encountered this issue. Have you? Does the water all drain out if parked level?

Gerald
If I'm parked completely level, as determined by a bubble level set on the floor of the van (or by the leveler app on my tablet for those days when low-tech isn't good enough), my shower drains just fine.

However, it's not terribly easy to get the Interstate exactly level just using Lego leveling blocks; sometimes one block isn't thick enough, but two is too thick. If I can't get the Interstate exactly level side-to-side, I settle for a slight incline to the driver's side, since that aids both shower and galley sink drainage. And if I can't get it exactly level front-to-back, I settle for a slight slope down to the front; I sleep better with my head higher than my feet rather than vice versa, and sleep with my head toward the rear doors. But even the slightest down-in-front slope causes water to pool on the shower floor right in front of the toilet, so that I need a squeegee to dry the shower floor. The squeegee I use on the windshield works just fine for that.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Thanks for the input.

I can have the van decidedly leaning streetside, and water still pools on the curbside opposite the drain. It drives my wife nuts. She really regrets I traded my 2007 RT Adventurous. That shower actually drained correctly and was much better designed.

I made an appointment to have it looked at along with the repeating crack that keeps coming back by the nearest dealer-about a 8 hour round trip. The warranty expires in March 2014 so I've got to deal with it before then.

Gerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
If I'm parked completely level, as determined by a bubble level set on the floor of the van (or by the leveler app on my tablet for those days when low-tech isn't good enough), my shower drains just fine.

However, it's not terribly easy to get the Interstate exactly level just using Lego leveling blocks; sometimes one block isn't thick enough, but two is too thick. If I can't get the Interstate exactly level side-to-side, I settle for a slight incline to the driver's side, since that aids both shower and galley sink drainage. And if I can't get it exactly level front-to-back, I settle for a slight slope down to the front; I sleep better with my head higher than my feet rather than vice versa, and sleep with my head toward the rear doors. But even the slightest down-in-front slope causes water to pool on the shower floor right in front of the toilet, so that I need a squeegee to dry the shower floor. The squeegee I use on the windshield works just fine for that.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Sounds something is holding the drain up like someone mentioned previously.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I believe the warranty clock runs out on identification of problems not on their resolution. In other words if you take it to a dealer for warranty work and are told (or elect) to bring it to Jackson Center then they should give you time to do that.

If you have any other reason to make the drive to the Jackson Center area it may be best to work with the factory service center as they will only require one bite at the apple to get it fixed properly.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
The dealer looked it and said the only way to fix it would be to replace it-something the dealer has never done. He called AS and was told to remove the trim and tilt it street side not being able to see just how much tilt would be required. He just rolled his eyes as there is no possibility that will work. I am still in discussions with AS and it likely will require a trip to Jackson Center at some point even if they make the dealer waste his and my time in the meantime.