Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2018, 03:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Show me the Show-Me (Inter)state

I'm driving to Missouri a few weeks from now for a dear friend's retirement party.

Any tips on where I might maximize my off-grid capability, Mark Twain National forest area, perhaps? Points off the beaten path in Arkansas? Ozark National Forest? Ouachita? No hook-ups. No crowds. PM me if you have destination secrets you'd rather not blast on a forum.

Somebody out there might be adept enough to think, "Wait - didn't you say before that you went to grad school in Missouri?"

Sure did, but back then, "starving student" meant starving student. It meant having a diesel Rabbit for which I paid precisely $650 and that literally could not go 20 miles down the road without exploding. These days, "starving student" means "might have to wait 3 years instead of 2 years between $1,000 iPhone upgrades".

I didn't get to see very much of the area, in other words. Couldn't afford it.

I know I'm stopping at Johnson Shut-Ins. I did hitch a ride down there numerous times when I was a kid, and I love the place. Other than that, this diagram of life applied and I was firmly entrenched in the left-most column:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:56 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Thousand Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I'm driving to Missouri a few weeks from now for a dear friend's retirement party.

Any tips on where I might maximize my off-grid capability, Mark Twain National forest area, perhaps? Points off the beaten path in Arkansas? Ozark National Forest? Ouachita? No hook-ups. No crowds. PM me if you have destination secrets you'd rather not blast on a forum.

I know I'm stopping at Johnson Shut-Ins. I did hitch a ride down there numerous times when I was a kid, and I love the place.

Interblog: We moved from Missouri to So Cal a few years ago and I have many suggestions depending on where you're headed. Assuming you will be in the southern half of the state, this is a great time of year to paddle and fish the Current River or Huzzah/Courtois River. Happy to chat at length about what to see, here or privately.

Roger
Ryoungca is offline   Reply With Quote