Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2010, 08:45 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Dallas , Texas
Should I expect some rattling from my Interstate?

Greetings ... I look forward to sharing what I have learned on this forum. But my first post is a question ... being a newbie to RVing.

We bought our first RV, a new 2009 Interstate on Christmas Eve 2009... so far we are having a blast and haven't had any problems that couldn't be solved via the dealer ( probably the typical break-in fixes ).

However, I have found there are several rattles in the vehicle. Some of them I have been able to find and fix in various ways. But some of them are either hard to identify, or difficult to fix thus far.

My questions are a) should there even be any rattles b) should I have the dealer try to fix them ( Airstream warranty ) and c) does anyone have any tips on ways to fix them.

Thanks!
rv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
rattles

Setting aside the inevitable vibrations when going over a big bump, the only rattles we ever encountered in our Interstate turned out to be related to stowed equipment such as pots and pans, tools, etc. One good trick to prevent stuff from rattling or sliding around is to get a bunch of silicone hot pads to put under and between potentially noisy items. They are sticky enough to keep things from sliding around and also absorb vibrations pretty well.
--Pete
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The cabinetry will rattle a bit (door latches, etc), but you should hear nothing from the suspension or structure components.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
I would say push that warranty to the limit on getting things fixed. be picky about everything.

just out of curiosity what is the warranty on a new airstream? and would it be worth getting an extended warranty ?
osolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:07 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by osolow View Post
just out of curiosity what is the warranty on a new airstream? and would it be worth getting an extended warranty ?
2 years, and no.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:18 PM   #6
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
wow i went A/S website and couldn't find anything about a warranty.

is that 2yr on everything then it your problem or it it like a car and have bumper to bumper then power train then emissions?
Old 03-13-2010, 06:56 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The cabinetry will rattle a bit (door latches, etc),...
Cabinet rattle in an AIRSTREAM?! This really surprises me. As I said, we have never had a hint of rattle from anything that was installed by Airstream. IMO, this is one of the things you get by paying the extra money to go with one of the high-end manufacturers. Anybody can install building-center cabinets in a van. It takes experience and design to make it quiet, functional, and durable.
--Pete
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:08 AM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

My first suspect would be gear that you have brought into the Airstream. I would try moving things around and see if there are any changes in the rattles you are hearing.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Welcome from Interstate owners for almost 3 years.

68,000+ miles, and we have always rattled some from stowed pots/pans, utensils, cabinet items, etc. It seems inevitable when everything is directly behind where you are sitting.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:29 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
The only rattles I found in our '09 Interstate were the metal curtain bars. I picked up some self adhesive silicone buttons/bumpers, (sold at HD/Lowes), and put them on the back side of the bars which silenced the rattles. Putting down rubber shelf liners in the cabinets also help.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:37 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Dallas , Texas
thank you for all of the responses. I emptied all of the cabinets and still found some "squeaking". I have found the squeaks primarily come from the wood rubbing against the aluminum and in one case the galley wood rubbing against the plastic. So I bought shelf liner to cut up and start to put in between the wood and the plastic and wood and the aluminum. I am glad to hear this isn't a widespread problem, maybe just some isolated instances in my coach that I can solve and be done with ... all the best.
rv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by osolow View Post
wow i went A/S website and couldn't find anything about a warranty.

is that 2yr on everything then it your problem or it it like a car and have bumper to bumper then power train then emissions?
From the Customer Service page on the AS website:
Warranty information
Airstream is proud of the product we build and stand behind it with an industrial-strength 2 year limited warranty for Flying Cloud, Sport, International, and Classic Limited and a 3 year/36,000 mile limited warranty on our Class B motorized products. Please check with your local dealer for specific details.
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:35 PM   #13
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
thanks