Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2017, 06:59 AM   #1
RPAYNE

2018 25' International
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Henderson , Kentucky
Shore Power not working

I have a 2016 airstream interstate when I plug into a 30 amp service I am not getting electricity in the coach, the end of the red light on the plug that goes into the outlet will light briefly but the green light will not come on. I am four hours from any service center so I am hoping for a quick fix, I did reset the 30 amp breaker under the jump seat on the drivers side but did not fix the problem.
rplandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I would get on the phone with the service department at your dealership and have them help you troubleshoot over the phone...

We did this regularly in the early days...phone in one hand, listening to instructions from the service tech, while at or in the Interstate.

Good luck,

Maggie
Old 04-27-2017, 07:57 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Auburn , Georgia
Lift up the jump seat above the panel and see if the green light on the Magnum charger is lit. If there is no light press the reset button on the charger. Check the GFI on that 30 amp breaker also. There is a 20 amp breaker marked inverter, check and reset it. My cord flashes red on plug in but no steady green light anymore. It still works.
Good Luck on the fix !
GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rplandman View Post
I have a 2016 airstream interstate when I plug into a 30 amp service I am not getting electricity in the coach, the end of the red light on the plug that goes into the outlet will light briefly but the green light will not come on. I am four hours from any service center so I am hoping for a quick fix, I did reset the 30 amp breaker under the jump seat on the drivers side but did not fix the problem.
Power is supplied to the Inverter/charge though a transfer switch. If that switch is failing, no power will be delivered to the van. Give the transfer switch a good whack with your hand after plugging in the AC cable and see if that helps.

My transfer switch started to fail on a trip, and the only way I could get it to work was doing just that. The relays tend to "stick" in the open position, and fail to engage when power is applied. I finally replaced it when whacking it stopped working at all.

It also could be a bad plug, or cable. But my guess is a bad transfer switch.

There is a possibility it's a bad inverter/charger, because it also has a built in transfer switch, but my money is on the initial transfer switch based on my experience with it. I have never heard of a Magnum inverter/charger failing.

Good luck and let me know if that worked.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:00 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
N. Hollywood , California
I had similar problem last year turned out to be bad connection on the adapter I was using
Electrical issues are frustrating but typically a simple fix .
I travel with a fluke multi meter just in case I need to troubleshoot on the road
mrcolin2u is offline   Reply With Quote