Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2018, 03:24 PM   #1
JR9

Sharp Microwave Removal

Anyone have info on how to remove a defective Sharp Microwave Drawer installed in 2016 EXT? Did a quick try to remove it pulling out the front, but there’s not enough clearance between the cabinets and the bathroom. Thanks!!
JR9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Have not needed to remove mine yet and I dont think mine is a Sharp but a very similar drawer-style microwave. It only has 4 screws on microwave case that screws into face frame of cabinet. Maybe you have to remove bottom drawer and top flip-down cubby to gain the extra 3/4" ? It is un-imaginable that they installed it before installing the bath exterior walls or pre-installed in cabinet. Just doesn't make sense.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:22 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Antonio , Texas
Did you ever get this one figured out? I am in the same boat. 2015 EXT
trwilliamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:01 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I was able to remove mine in my 2014.5 (same as 2015) by myself. There was just enough clearance, no more than an inch to spare. I chickened out and asked a fellow working on a nearby RV to help me put it back in.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:32 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

San Antonio , Texas
Unfortunately, the handle of my microwave hits the exterior wall to the head and prevents me from removing my unit which is a Sharp KN6524PS. Ugh. Thanks for getting back to me.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:17 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Westerville , Ohio
Can you remove the handle first?
Old 08-21-2018, 05:10 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

San Antonio , Texas
Indeed, I can. And have. Still, it needs about another 2" in order to clear the enclosure so that I might remove the unit. I have a call and an email in to the Airstream Manufacturer. What a nightmare for something that should be so easy.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:46 AM   #8
JR9

I was able to successfully remove it by doing two things:

Disassembled the entire front of the Microwave drawer (multiple steps), which removes the handle.

Removed the bathroom door at the hinge (several screws).

With two people, the Microwave was able to be removed by pulling it out and twisting it towards rear of the camper and lifting it up. It’s very heavy.

The power cord needs to be unplugged by removing the adjacent left of Microwave drawer and unplugging it. The cord feeds out as you remove it.

I took the Microwave to a Sharp service store and they disassembled it. The magnetron had come loose and was floating around. It burned a hole it the upper area and it could not be repaired. It was very lucky the unit did not catch on fire.

In my opinion, the Sharp Microwave Drawer is not suitable for rugged RV use. I have the identical unit in an under cabinet island installation and its worked flawlessly for years.

I bought an inexpensive small Microwave and put it in the space of the old one with a bungee cord for travel. It works fine.

I hope this helps, good luck!
Old 08-21-2018, 01:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR9 View Post
I bought an inexpensive small Microwave and put it in the space of the old one with a bungee cord for travel. It works fine.

I hope this helps, good luck!
JR9 - Wow, such big hassle to remove. Airstream maybe should learn from the K.I.S.S. principle. Keep It Simple S***** as you have done and it works just as well, cheaper, and easier to replace if it breaks again Thanks for this procedure. I hope I never need to do this.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:00 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
We still haven't used ours yet...

One time on a trip the daughter wanted to heat up her left over pizza... we were running the generator at a temp stop and once she found out we would have to turn off AC to run the micro... she was fine eating cold pizza. It was a hot day.

Would be used much more if we didn't have to sacrifice what else needs to be turned off..

Granted... that is probably not the use case AI was going for...

I would gladly exchange the one we have with a smaller one we could use with the AC under generator power.

Tobbun
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:01 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

San Antonio , Texas
Appreciate the message. I heard from the manufacturer regarding my situation. They instructed me to to remove the panel behind the driver passenger chair and that I would be able to swivel the microwave out. Did so, negative. No workey. I would try the method you mention above however, my handle is stopped by the wall to the head, not the door. Otherwise I would absolutely try your method. Back to Airstream method. Once the panel is removed, you do have access. However, there is a vertical support that is part of the surround to the microwave. I could remove this support however, it would require me to remove the refrigerator as well. What a process!!! So, considering that I have the "Warranty Forever" from NWAAN and they cover this appliance, I am going to let the dealer handle this issue. Unfortunately, they can not get me in until late September when I will be in a 5,000 mile 3 month journey. Sooooo, looks like no microwave for us on this trip. Oh well, extra drawer storage I guess. I am concerned about the potential fire issue you mention so I will just leave the microwave break OFF. I am convinced by now the Magnetron is defunct. Too bad, Cheap and easy fix I can handle myself, just not sure I wan to disassemble the entire front cabinet to get that thing out!
Old 08-22-2018, 09:13 AM   #12
JR9

An option would be to purchase a small Microwave that fits in a drawer for your trip.

Removing the Sharp drawer front is actually easy once you figure out how it goes together. There is a black plastic piece that covers up the screws that hold it together that when pried loose, slides back. After that, need a bright light to see the screws around the parameter.
Old 04-10-2022, 08:43 AM   #13

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pace , Florida
Replaced microwave with Ninja Air Fryer

We have a 2016 AI Lounger. I just completed replacing my microwave with a Ninja Air Fryer/Convection Oven as seen recently on Keep Your Day Dream. It was tricky removing the micro but we got it. I removed the forward panel of the counter area, which included part of the face area and the corner post. I rotated the passenger seats so that I could slide it out the corner at an angle. I had to use my knee to compress the seat cushion to allow the Micro to slide on top. Under the Micro we’re boards finished in the same nice laminate. I removed 5hem and used them to modify/reduce the size of the face plate. I took one of the colored screw top caps to Home Depot to match paint color for the thin unions where I used calk. It all turned out well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2F12487F-F591-419C-9117-6371C6CE9E87.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	414257  
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote