Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2018, 09:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Little Rock , Arkansas
Shakedown Cruise

Just picked up new 2019 Interstate Grand Tour 5 days ago. Overnighted at Colonial Airstream, spent two days in a driveway with no hookups, now at campground with full hookups. This is my fifth RV. Started with 25’ Safari, went to 36’ diesel pusher, downsized to Class C, returned to Airstream with 28’ Flying Cloud, and decided I no longer want to tow.
Here are a few initial observations, in no particular order.
1. I like the drive. Seems to have plenty of power, speed and control. I’d say it handles better than my 2017 GMC Sierra 2500 tow vehicle, which I really liked driving.
2. A little disappointed with the cockpit. Like going back in time. Old style gauges, which are hard to read in shadows and glare. Also, the Nav screen was impossible to see in daylight. Had no problem with screen in my truck. Finally, the image in the rear view camera display is very dark and almost useless. Side camera image is a little better. I’ll see if I can tweak the displays.
3. The contents of a 28’ trailer do not fit. But, think we’ll be happier hauling around less stuff. That said, the countertop ice maker and espresso machine stay!
4. Battery drained to 65% in driveway overnight; only frig and phantom power running. The 300 watts of solar kept it there during a very sunny day. Down to 30% next morning. Charged right up during short drive to campground. Anyhow, was hoping for better off grid capability without using the generator. I was told the compressor refrigerator was a big drain. I’ll be keeping an eye on this situation.
5. Bathroom is useable, but commode sits up a bit high. Might put wood platform in shower base to help. We’ll be showering in bath houses most of the time, but it’s nice to know we can use the Interstate shower when needed.
6. Averted disaster. Faucet was on slightly in bathroom when I connected to city water. I checked out kitchen faucet and flushed toilet, but now know need to check bath faucet also. Several hours of dripping filled grey water to 95%. So, I used the occasion to dump tanks for the first time. Macerator worked just fine.
7. The rear tv better be sturdy, because I keep bumping into it.
8. The sleeper sofa and jump seat configuration is a work in progress. I’ve read several threads here and on other forums. Sleeping arrangement as is is ok. But some padding and sleep sack combo is needed.

That’s enough for now. Might start reading the owners manuals!
hirstpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
HIRSTPB - CONGRATS on new rig and successful shakedown. It seems I have seen a few more 2019 posters here lately. So that's good news as far as AS production ramping up. Impressive resume to be on 5th rv. Amazing that after all that nice room & luxury, you settled on a Class B. I have seen similar trend just with friends I know. It seems to be catching on. I would be lucky to get to rv #2 in my lifetime.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
You pretty much nailed it. I like full hook up and use shower houses. But I do want to boondock occasionally and had to at Wal-Mart trying to return home after hurricane. So, I'm planning to modify next month. Watch the galley drain pipe...mine was moving quite a bit with travel and the screw part that attaches it to sink underneath cracked twice. I think I have the drain pipe secure now with a modification recommended by JC. Also, try your black tank flush...mine was cracked...detected by water dripping under the rig the very first time I tried to use it. I had that repaired at JC.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:33 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
You pretty much nailed it. I like full hook up and use shower houses. But I do want to boondock occasionally and had to at Wal-Mart trying to return home after hurricane. So, I'm planning to modify next month. Watch the galley drain pipe...mine was moving quite a bit with travel and the screw part that attaches it to sink underneath cracked twice. I think I have the drain pipe secure now with a modification recommended by JC. Also, try your black tank flush...mine was cracked...detected by water dripping under the rig the very first time I tried to use it. I had that repaired at JC.

Thanks for the tips. My next chore for today is dumping tanks.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:36 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
HIRSTPB - CONGRATS on new rig and successful shakedown. It seems I have seen a few more 2019 posters here lately. So that's good news as far as AS production ramping up. Impressive resume to be on 5th rv. Amazing that after all that nice room & luxury, you settled on a Class B. I have seen similar trend just with friends I know. It seems to be catching on. I would be lucky to get to rv #2 in my lifetime.

The class B decision was based on wanting to pick up and go when the spirit moved. No towing and nothing to tow. Oh yeah, and a reinsured torn Achilles and two shoulder replacements.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Congratulations, and may you have many happy miles.

We found that the more space we had, the more stuff we carried...lots of “just in case” items, easily done without when we went to the Class B.

Enjoy.

Maggie
Old 10-03-2018, 11:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirstpb View Post
The class B decision was based on wanting to pick up and go when the spirit moved. No towing and nothing to tow.
HIRSTPB - This so true. I know you are busy as heck enjoying new rig, but when you get chance, I made/posted exact same comment to EYECHIP just minutes ago. He just posted his shakedown trip, 2 mos. 10,000 miles basically just picked up & went. So amazing! Also, posted some rear storage pics for you in my thread. Enjoy dumping tanks. Seriously, I was so anxious 1st time. Now it is so easy I can do blindfolded (just kidding).
Old 10-03-2018, 07:07 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Washington DC , Washington, D.C.
Congrats on a beautiful vehicle and your first nights out. You pretty much nailed the common complaints that are echoed here. Not huge stuff (cause hell, gotta complain) but hopefully things Airstream will read and take to light as improvements for the future.

The charging/power aspect is what I am still learning as well. I got the rig switched to 6V batteries as suggested but, honestly, I don't see much difference. Maybe a little. I tend to boondock with it but mixed with daily drives to river put ins and take outs during the day. This helps a lot and does the trick. Despite everything you read here I think the ultimate and quick solution I have learned is to drive or run the engine. I know, lame...but it works. TBH I really don't see how the solar adds much and in fact am having mine checked out at Colonial this week to be sure it's actually connected.

Yeah, the rear tv is annoying but you will get used to first thing moving it back when parked. As well deciding when the table is practical or just an aesthetic annoyance. Look at the bright side, I am 6-3 and I navigate both the TV and the air conditioner which has left permanent scars on my head and shoulder!

I know the bedding is personal but after starting with what I thought was a luring boudoir kinda setup I quickly switched to the better sleeping bag system. Quick, easy, and I find the sofa fine by itself. That's me though. Good pillows though are the key imho.

Congrats and best of luck on your journey! Keep it between the lines and try not to drive off with your awning extended (trust me).
eyechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
EYECHIP, HIRSTPB - regarding rear tv, yes PITA. My very first big annoyance & safety complaint. Its lower sharp corner at head level of 3yr. old grandson. I would've rip it out BUT grandson needs it for now. So took out original and replaced with 19". Still big enough for rear sofa/bed viewing. Edge lines up with corner of bath door. Also, modified big, heavy mount to minimum, by removing articulating arms. That takes a bit of work and metal shaving/cutting but very doable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181003_193523.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	324390   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181003_193536.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	324391  

Name:	20181003_193510.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	314.1 KB
ID:	324392  
Old 10-04-2018, 05:59 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyechip View Post
Congrats on a beautiful vehicle and your first nights out. You pretty much nailed the common complaints that are echoed here. Not huge stuff (cause hell, gotta complain) but hopefully things Airstream will read and take to light as improvements for the future.

The charging/power aspect is what I am still learning as well. I got the rig switched to 6V batteries as suggested but, honestly, I don't see much difference. Maybe a little. I tend to boondock with it but mixed with daily drives to river put ins and take outs during the day. This helps a lot and does the trick. Despite everything you read here I think the ultimate and quick solution I have learned is to drive or run the engine. I know, lame...but it works. TBH I really don't see how the solar adds much and in fact am having mine checked out at Colonial this week to be sure it's actually connected.

Yeah, the rear tv is annoying but you will get used to first thing moving it back when parked. As well deciding when the table is practical or just an aesthetic annoyance. Look at the bright side, I am 6-3 and I navigate both the TV and the air conditioner which has left permanent scars on my head and shoulder!

I know the bedding is personal but after starting with what I thought was a luring boudoir kinda setup I quickly switched to the better sleeping bag system. Quick, easy, and I find the sofa fine by itself. That's me though. Good pillows though are the key imho.

Congrats and best of luck on your journey! Keep it between the lines and try not to drive off with your awning extended (trust me).

It will be interesting to see what Colonial says about the solar situation. I just can’t believe 300 watts of solar will not keep batteries 100% with only the frig running.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:33 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
EYECHIP, HIRSTPB - regarding rear tv, yes PITA. My very first big annoyance & safety complaint. Its lower sharp corner at head level of 3yr. old grandson. I would've rip it out BUT grandson needs it for now. So took out original and replaced with 19". Still big enough for rear sofa/bed viewing. Edge lines up with corner of bath door. Also, modified big, heavy mount to minimum, by removing articulating arms. That takes a bit of work and metal shaving/cutting but very doable.

ALEX - good move switching to a 19” TV in back. That is what came with my 2013 Interstate. I don’t understand why Airstream started installing bigger TVs in back where they stick out beyond the cabinet edge. Design changes by people who don’t use the product - or they got a better price on 22” TVs? Weird.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:25 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
The OEM rear TV can be moved out of the way easily as explained by Tronadera last year in his thread “moving the rear tv”. I am not talking about a temporary move but as he explains you can easily adjust the existing mount to move the tv towards the corner away from the aisle so it does not obstruct. I moved mine as he suggested and it has stayed in place for over a year of travel.
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Some pics to help TXNTRAVLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
ALEX - good move switching to a 19” TV in back. That is what came with my 2013 Interstate. I don’t understand why Airstream started installing bigger TVs in back where they stick out beyond the cabinet edge. Design changes by people who don’t use the product - or they got a better price on 22” TVs? Weird.
MIKE - I wish mine came with a 22". I may have been able to finesse it further into the side wall like TRONADORA did & happily lived with it and saved lots of time. But talk about overkill, mine was even wider 24". The TRONADORA workaround was excellent for keeping fixed at that corner angle. I needed the minimum 'bump' off the wall and flat on the wall, so had to take the difficult way out. On a related issue, since I now have unused brand new 24", I am just waiting to get the time to remove the 28" up front and put the 24". That will fix another 'headache' (big pun intended). But AS did internal mods to the 28" to wire the audio outs and also to accommodate the VESA mounting holes adapted to the flip-up hinges. So it is not a 15 min. job if I want to retain the audio out functionality to headphones. I thinking just ignore that since we've never used it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txntravlr View Post
Thanks for the tips, Mark - tried this in our ‘17 GT, and our bundled wires are too tight to allow it to set correctly (can “almost” do what you did, but I’m afraid to over-stretch the wiring for fear it will pull from wall!
TXNTRAVLR - The wiring bundle going into rear tv only consists of 3 cables - power, coax for antenna and hdmi. The power cable go into wall hole (for purpose of hiding extra length) but comes back out. The remaining 2 go inside the wall and then proceed to snake into the area behind bath access panel. Because the bulky bundle is jammed back into the small hole, it will feel like you have no more give. Open the bath plumbing access panel and you will be able to confirm that you have more give. It is possible you have no give because the cables have wound themselves amongst the plumbing lines. The tv cables can be disconnected to be unwound. You should be able to get a few more feet of extra length. Make sure you unscrewed the black screw/cable clamp, dark & easy to miss. I found all these during my bathroom remodel. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181004_155450.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	384.6 KB
ID:	324431   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181004_155504.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	465.0 KB
ID:	324432  

Name:	20181004_160257.jpg