Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2017, 10:53 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St Augustine , Florida
Sewer hose will not retract

So today I dump my tank and the hose would not reel back in. The motor just makes a noise and no tension in or out. I called four dealerships in a 250 mile radius and was basically told sorry we don't take walk ins or we are booked three months out. Is there a easier way to manually roll in the hose then push in with one hand/finger spin the reel? You'd think they'd put a hand crank or nut on the side in case this happens.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There have been chronic problems with these.

If you go to the Sprinter/BVan subforum here I believe there are some threads that may help you.

Maggie

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:14 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

St Augustine , Florida
That's where I posted this hoping for info I had seen a thread on it before, but got in six pages and didn't see anything. I typed it in the search but it searched the whole forum............. sorry for being a bother
Old 06-27-2017, 10:51 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Had the same problem a month ago

I had the same problem a month ago with my sewer hose not reeling in automatically. I took the white roller assembly off of the face of the reel compartment and found that I could roll the hose up on the reel manually, at least to the point that I could jam the rest into the area in front of the reel and still close the door. FYI.
bankerhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:13 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

St Augustine , Florida
Yea I thought about that now I'm going to do it till I can get it looked at thanks for the info
Old 06-27-2017, 02:30 PM   #6

Roseville , California
Also having the same problem

I am having the same problem! Not happy about it as my rig is still very new. I ended up taking the front roller cover off and manually rolling it back in. Not a fun experience and a bit of a knuckle buster.
John_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:16 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

St Augustine , Florida
Yea I rolled mine in with the cover on and it wasn't fun
Old 06-27-2017, 09:53 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Take the roller bracket off

Four screws and it comes off. Much easier to roll up the hose on the reel manually if it's not in the way. In fact, I can't see how you can even do it with that roller assembly on it. How could you get your hands in there to work the reel?
bankerhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:31 AM   #9
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Is there no easy troubleshooting to fix the automatic reel?
Is it a simple fix for the dealer/service department?
I considered taking out the rollers but on such a pricey piece of equipment I'd kinda like it to work the way it's supposed to. �� But I will if that's the fix.

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCamper View Post
Is there no easy troubleshooting to fix the automatic reel?
Is it a simple fix for the dealer/service department?
I considered taking out the rollers but on such a pricey piece of equipment I'd kinda like it to work the way it's supposed to. �� But I will if that's the fix.
Still diagnosing mine. According to the schematics (2017 Lounge), power to the reel is supplied through what appears to be a circuit breaker, CB6, at panel block M4, and it's a 15A circuit. Trouble is, I have no idea where that is in the coach. I only know of one circuit breaker panel, and that's under the road side jump seat in the back, but that's not the breakers they're referring to. In the 2015 Owner's Manual, it's shown as a 10A "self-resetting" breaker, so it's totally different on the newer model. Does anyone know where this little beast is on a '17 Lounge?

Anyway, once I find out where that is, I can start tracing power through that breaker into the reel. If there's power all the way but the reel still won't move (it makes no sound it all), it's off to the dealer for repair/replacement.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Still diagnosing mine. According to the schematics (2017 Lounge), power to the reel is supplied through what appears to be a circuit breaker, CB6, at panel block M4, and it's a 15A circuit. Trouble is, I have no idea where that is in the coach. I only know of one circuit breaker panel, and that's under the road side jump seat in the back, but that's not the breakers they're referring to. In the 2015 Owner's Manual, it's shown as a 10A "self-resetting" breaker, so it's totally different on the newer model. Does anyone know where this little beast is on a '17 Lounge?
If it is what I think you are talking about, It is a row of them on a module that was buried behind the circuit breaker panel on mine. It was not visible until I dug into rewiring it. Here it is pulled out where it was:

You would have to hunt around to find it.

FYI I relocated it to the top as where it was, it was too close to AC circuits anyway.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
If it is what I think you are talking about, It is a row of them on a module that was buried behind the circuit breaker panel on mine. It was not visible until I dug into rewiring it. Here it is pulled out where it was:

You would have to hunt around to find it.

FYI I relocated it to the top as where it was, it was too close to AC circuits anyway.
Thank you!

Do you know if those are "self-resetting" breakers or the RVIA-certified "modified reset" variety? In theory, the "modified reset" type require removal of power to get them to reset, but given how the system is wired, it looks like the only way to actually remove power is to physically pull the lead off the positive side of the house batteries......
Old 07-17-2017, 05:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
Good question. Zooming in, it says "T2" or "T II" which means it will remain disconnected until power is removed! As you say, this is hardwired to the battery so you have to fully disconnect it to reset. Another reason they should have put a master disconnect there.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Good news and bad news

OK, first the good news. I got my hose reel working again!!!

Now the bad news. I'm not exactly sure WHY it's working again.

So, in spite of it being about 105 in the coach, I was determined to figure this out because I had a very atypical window of time to work on it. First, I confirmed that the hose reel is indeed always "hot", regardless of the position of the Main Disconnect switch. This is the same situation for the tank heaters, lounge motor, and radio (yes, radio....it always has power). Next I tore into the street side jump seat base to get the breaker panel out. You have to remove the door and latch to get the panel out that holds the AC breakers. Once that's out, you can see the 6 resettable 12v DC breakers along the left side of the seat base that amirm shows in his photo (thanks again for that....I NEVER would have found them without your pic). All you will see is the back side of the breakers, meaning the posts with nuts holding the wires in place. If you didn't know to look closer, you'd never know those were actually breakers.

Now the fun part. I tested both side of all of the breakers. 13v. On all of them. Meaning all of the breakers were closed. Ugh. That meant my reel motor was getting power. Fine. Back out to the reel, pulled out a bunch more hose because it seemed a bit bound up, and just for grins hit Retract. It worked! I reeled in the hose, but noticed it's VERY fussy about how it goes in. It's almost like there's too much on the reel so it binds against the top and bottom of the box that the reel sets in. Anyway, I was pretty excited, but realized I had no idea why it just started working again. As an engineer, I don't like that. It means it's going to stop again at some point in the future and I won't know why.

The real unsettling thing that I discovered in all of this is if amirm and I are right and they really used Type II breakers, if any of them ever trip, you will have to remove power from the breaker to get it to reset. Since these little guys are directly attached to the house batteries, you have 2 choices: You can do it the easy way (crawl under the coach and momentarily disconnect the house batteries), or the hard way (pull the breaker box out and disconnect the power to just the hose reel, which in theory is the last breaker on the bus, closest to the floor of the coach).

I'm going to try to find out if this really is the case, because if it is, it would be a colossal mistake by Airstream and something they should address. Given all of the posts I've seen about people with inoperative hose reels, it would be a shame if this was one of the reasons for it......
Old 07-17-2017, 09:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
Yeh, I hate those intermittent problems too especially which something "mission critical" like this hose.

I wonder if the motor itself has a self-resetting breaker that got triggered when the hose snagged. I hear mine struggling as the reel gets full. And yes, it does seem like it has too much hose for its capacity.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
BTW, looking at the specs for a similar part to what we have in AI, it says the breaker should be rated at 20 amps, not 15: http://www.trci.net/media/171687/505...on%20sheet.pdf

Then again it says in the spec sheet that the locked rotor max draw is 12 amps....
Old 07-18-2017, 03:11 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Speaking of struggling rewinds... I've noticed on mine, when I am pulling the hose out it often makes a very loud ratcheting sound. Anybody know if I'm damaging or stressing the mechanism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
Yeh, I hate those intermittent problems too especially which something "mission critical" like this hose.

I wonder if the motor itself has a self-resetting breaker that got triggered when the hose snagged. I hear mine struggling as the reel gets full. And yes, it does seem like it has too much hose for its capacity.
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronadora View Post
Speaking of struggling rewinds... I've noticed on mine, when I am pulling the hose out it often makes a very loud ratcheting sound. Anybody know if I'm damaging or stressing the mechanism?
Mine makes no such noise as I'm pulling the hose out. Besides the hose ribbing catching on the innards of the box it's coiled in, it's silent.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:00 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
I often have to work to get the hose extended. As you say, there seems to be more hose than the reel will hold and the last few inches (few feet) appear to jam it up. This can be solved (or at least minimized) by moving the hose side to side as it reels in. But I have never had the hose jam (refuse to reel in) when I have several feet of it pulled out.

When I fist got mine I made notes of all the fuses I could find, and got spares for most. I found five thermal breakers under the lounge seat hidden behind the 120V breakers:
50A - power to the individual 12V fuses available in the compartment
15A - solar controller to battery
15A - Kenwood
20A - tank heater pads
30A - lounge seat motor

On mine the reel motor is a 15A fuse (#10) in the fuse panel accessible from the door beneath the lounge seat. Interesting the variety of places they put fuses. I found several big fuses attached to the positive terminal of the chassis battery. One is power to the BIM. Forced to hunt it down when driving did not charge the coach batteries.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:42 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
Retracting hose broken

I had the same problem that is described in these threads. Hose was fully extended, engine ceased and I was stuck in an RV Park. I could not seem to manually retract the hose - so I just cut it off with a knife. I am picking my unit up today from the dealership - they have it fixed for about $600 dollars. I told them to SHORTEN the length of the hose - they are too long for the apparatus - this set-up is stupid and Airstream should figure it out. Simply put - one does not need the length of the dumping hose installed. As we all know - most dumping station can be accessed relatively up close. A shorter hose should relieve stress on the retracting engine - at least I hope!!!
Brownstone is offline   Reply With Quote