Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2020, 07:13 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Talking Sewer Hose Reel

OT
Quote:
Originally Posted by M and R View Post
On our 2016 Grand Tour, the electric hose reel will not run. The fuse is good. When the retract switch is activated a low humming sound can be heard, but the reel does not turn.

I read four different threads on the forum. None had the same situation I described above. I wondering if anyone else had a similar situation and what was done to resolve it.
Every time I see the headline/subject of this thread, I keep picturing someone running around like crazy, trying to get that sewer hose squared away, to the beat of a fast "reel" like this:

Yee Ha!

Apologies for the reel detour.

M and R, glad you got it squared away.

Let the music lift you up . . .
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:41 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lady Lake , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
OT

Every time I see the headline/subject of this thread, I keep picturing someone running around like crazy, trying to get that sewer hose squared away, to the beat of a fast "reel" like this:

Yee Ha!

Apologies for the reel detour.

M and R, glad you got it squared away.

Yes, the music is great!! Fortunately I was parked in the driveway at home when I encountered the problem. If on the road, maybe a faster beat would have helped.
M and R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:53 AM   #23
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
The workbench retrofit kit portion of the job was fairly easy. The difficult part for me was removing the hose reel assembly from the vehicle. I contacted Airstream for guidance. I received zero help and was referred to Southwire who makes the hose reel. Southwire was very helpful with installing the retrofit kit, but knew nothing about Airstream’s use of their hose reel. Once I figured out the removal, the reinstall was not much of a problem
Great point. As you've said, removal looks to be quite a challenge. If you have any notes regarding your process of removal, please do share.

The reel assembly is hidden inside a metal box that is somehow affixed to the underside of the van. After a quick look, I have no clue whatever how to remove that box. When it fails for good and all, it's either going to take some "reel" study, or a mobile RV repair person who would come out here to remove it, execute the repair, reinstall, and bill me for their time and expertise.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:41 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
Yes, the music is great!! Fortunately I was parked in the driveway at home when I encountered the problem. If on the road, maybe a faster beat would have helped.
Reely!

Let the music lift you up . . .
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:52 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
I too could not figure out how to remove the hose reel box (looked like a riveted assembly) so I replaced the hose while the reel was in place. Wasn't too bad, but not looking forward to having to remove the assembly.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote