Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2019, 03:41 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St auguatine , Florida
Setting Up 30 Amp etc

Hi there, I am “building” my own campsite which means I need the usual 30 amp post with 2-3 “regular “ plug ins. That’s what Iv’e told the contractor but I think he needs to hear it in contractor or Electrician-ease. There is an old house on the property so electricity is available ( and has been shut off). Any translations welcome
carpenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
If you mean you want 2 or 3 30A plugins, that will take 90 amps of service. Either a large gauge feeder run to a distribution panel near the plugins, or separate runs from the house to each. The electrician should know how to size the wire depending on the length and the current.

The receptacles you want are:
https://www.zoro.com/hubbell-wiring-...yABEgLrAvD_BwE

or similar. Your electrician should be able to select a box for mounting them. You'll want one suitable for use in wet areas when the trailer is plugged in.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:19 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
If you mean you want 2 or 3 30A plugins, that will take 90 amps of service. Either a large gauge feeder run to a distribution panel near the plugins, or separate runs from the house to each. The electrician should know how to size the wire depending on the length and the current.

or similar. Your electrician should be able to select a box for mounting them. You'll want one suitable for use in wet areas when the trailer is plugged in.

Al

Thank you Al, I want one 30 amp plug and a few 220 (?) to run various appliances lije fans, laptops, small heaters etc outside. Thank you for the info and the link. Embarrassed I don’t know the verbiage for the other plug ins—too accustomed to just mindlessly plugging in at State Parks.
carpenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:43 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Davis , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenc View Post
Thank you Al, I want one 30 amp plug and a few 220 (?) to run various appliances lije fans, laptops, small heaters etc outside. Thank you for the info and the link. Embarrassed I don’t know the verbiage for the other plug ins—too accustomed to just mindlessly plugging in at State Parks.
Whoa. Be "sure" the electrician understands that you want a 30A 120V service, plus some 15A 120V receptacles. Many home electricians assume that a 30A circuit should be at 240V. If you plug 240V into your airstream you will probably fry a lot of stuff.

Pat
pdavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:44 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Western , Tennessee
the "others" for outside computer, fans, etc is 120v 20amp duplex receptacle (also called a outlet).
TN Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Show him the end of your power cord and the 120/125V, 60HZ, 30A sticker on the Interstate where the power cord plugs in. That should be all he needs to know.

Not sure that you'd need separate power for computer or fan - you could just use the inside or outside outlets on the Interstate. But an extra circuit (separate from the Interstate power) would be good for a portable heater. That would let you run the microwave and/or electric water heat in the Interstate and have the heater going outside.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I think if I was going to put in an outlet for a camper and was hiring an electrician I would go ahead and put in the 50 amp service. Maybe both a 30 and a 50 or use the 50 to 30 adaptor that one has to carry now anyway. And at least 1 gfi 120 outlet. It will cost more for the wire and parts but not likely to have to do it again in the near future.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenc View Post
Hi there, I am “building” my own campsite which means I need the usual 30 amp post with 2-3 “regular “ plug ins. That’s what Iv’e told the contractor but I think he needs to hear it in contractor or Electrician-ease. There is an old house on the property so electricity is available ( and has been shut off). Any translations welcome

You could order one of these then run over and pickup the panel for the contractor.
This is the type found in a campground. This could be mounted on the side of the old house or on a pole at your campsite.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Siemens-125...nel/1000044297

or go a cheaper route:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Eaton-30-Am...-Panel/3027569
and
https://www.lowes.com/pd/REDDOT-Meta...ver/1000405007
Old 05-07-2019, 07:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I think if I was going to put in an outlet for a camper and was hiring an electrician I would go ahead and put in the 50 amp service. Maybe both a 30 and a 50 or use the 50 to 30 adaptor that one has to carry now anyway. And at least 1 gfi 120 outlet. It will cost more for the wire and parts but not likely to have to do it again in the near future.
This.

Quote:
If you mean you want 2 or 3 30A plugins, that will take 90 amps of service.
One would think so, on paper, but if you look at campgrounds, they don't do that.

I was staying at a park while they rewired it. Big commercial electrician with distro boxes etc. All the sites were 50 amp, but they didn't have 50 amp x the number of sites. Maybe half of that. They claimed that there's a formula for how much power is needed for x number of sites at 50 amp each. Eventually, I was told to butt out.

They also used direct burial cable, and I would have put it in conduit.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:12 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
This.

One would think so, on paper, but if you look at campgrounds, they don't do that.

I was staying at a park while they rewired it. Big commercial electrician with distro boxes etc. All the sites were 50 amp, but they didn't have 50 amp x the number of sites. Maybe half of that. They claimed that there's a formula for how much power is needed for x number of sites at 50 amp each. Eventually, I was told to butt out.

They also used direct burial cable, and I would have put it in conduit.
Actually the code allows for that. The assumption is the more outlets you have the lower the probability is that they would all be running at the full 30A rating at the same time. The derating starts at five, if I recall correctly. For just 3 there is no derating. But a box with multiple outlets, like 50 and 30 or 30 and 15 or 20 only needs to provide capacity for the higher rated receptacle.

A 30A outlet for an RV and other outlets in the same box can be fed by one 30A feeder but other outlets at other locations would have to be on a separate branch circuit, per code anyway.

Al
Old 05-07-2019, 08:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Quote:

Al
Not true.
Look at the distribution panel in your home.
If you were to add up the total of each circuit breaker in the panel and compare that total to the main breaker size. There would be a significant difference.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:50 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Go GFCI

Recommend having your electrician install an Eaton CHU1N7N4NS, available via Home Depot.

Tell your electrician that this is for a recreational vehicle (NEC Article 551), and you feeder panel will provide receptacles shown in Figure 551.46(C)(1) of the 2017 NEC Handbook. Recommend that your electrician also installs a new grounding electrode (ground rod) at your outlet panel.

Strongly recommend that you provide GFCI protection for each circuit in your feeder panel. This means replacing the 30A panel breaker with:
Eaton BR 30-Amp 1-Pole GFCI Circuit Breaker Model GFTCB130
and replacing the 50A breaker with:
Eaton BR 50-Amp 2-Pole GFCI Circuit Breaker Model GFTCB250CS
Believe the panel above uses Eaton BR type breakers, but have your electrician verify it first. The Eaton panel above has a GFCI protected 20A receptacle.

While not yet specified in the NEC, we are sure glad we replaced our 30A and 50A breakers with GFCI. At least twice, they identified a problem with our trailer.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:52 AM   #13
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
If the electrician doesn't know what a 30A 120v RV plug is, I am concerned for your safety.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:54 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Is True, for his case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Not true.
Look at the distribution panel in your home.
If you were to add up the total of each circuit breaker in the panel and compare that total to the main breaker size. There would be a significant difference.
See Post#10. NFPA 70 is complex. Certain services can be de-rated, each with a different formula; others cannot. 15/20A duplex receptacles are a good example. When many are combined on a branch circuit one must only account for 150VA for each while they can provide over 10 times that. Your home breaker panel is another. There are rules for what service you need to support a series of loads. You can't make general assumptions by counting breakers. You have to consider what the combination of loads are on each branch circuit fed by a breaker.

Al
Old 05-07-2019, 10:36 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Quote:
See Post#10. NFPA 70 is complex. Certain services can be de-rated, each with a different formula; others cannot. 15/20A duplex receptacles are a good example. When many are combined on a branch circuit one must only account for 150VA for each while they can provide over 10 times that. Your home breaker panel is another. There are rules for what service you need to support a series of loads. You can't make general assumptions by counting breakers. You have to consider what the combination of loads are on each branch circuit fed by a breaker.

Al
Seems to me you were doing that when you called for 90 amps for 3 30amp receptacles.
That was my point. You don't need 90 amps for this.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:52 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St Petersburg , Florida
Sounds like you want a standard RV power panel.

Try this link to Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Siemens-TL137...32207842&psc=1

or just google "30 Amp RV Power Panel"

this is an easy and straight forward install for a licensed electrician.

good luck

PirateChris
PirateChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:50 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Seems to me you were doing that when you called for 90 amps for 3 30amp receptacles.
That was my point. You don't need 90 amps for this.
You didn't read post 10. My information comes straight from NFPA 70. What is your source?

EOM

Al
Old 05-07-2019, 02:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
One thing your electrician will need to consider is what type of feeder you are using.

If you are on rocky soil with lots of tree roots you should use rigid galvanized pipe. You can use UF (underground feeder cable) buried 12" deep if you are only using 120v 20a service and have GFCI protection. Otherwise UF needs to be 24" deep.

If you are on sandy or loose soil you can use plastic PVC conduit buried 18" deep.

Which you choose depends on the type of soil, how long the run, and your electrician's willingness to dig a trench. He will also know if any local rules override the general conditions above.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:13 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Birmingham , Alabama
Just My Two Cents

You have gotten some very good information on this topic. I actually did this to my home in Florida. The key for me was to have a on/off switch both at the 30 amp pole breaker and at the main breaker on the wall of my home. The reason for this is you never want to plug your power to your RV in while current is going through it. You plug in first, then turn on breaker.

The other issue I had was how deep to put the cord coming from the home to the 30 amp pole. We settled on three feet of a continuous line. I hope this is helpful.

Proud new owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Tommy Bahama
Previously owned a 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 ft.
sthrngary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:26 PM   #20
Contributing Member

Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthrngary View Post
The key for me was to have a on/off switch both at the 30 amp pole breaker and at the main breaker on the wall of my home. The reason for this is you never want to plug your power to your RV in while current is going through it. You plug in first, then turn on breaker.
I have a 30a outlet at home. No switch. I simply plug in my surge suppressor first without the umbilical plugged in. That gives me 2 1/2 minutes to plug in the umbilical from the AI before the surge suppressor passes 120v through to its outlet. I always hear the microwave beep when the line goes hot as confirmation that I have power to the AI. I do the same at the storage yard.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote