Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2019, 07:17 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
I would put in 50 amp and 30 amp plugs. If your electrician does not understand, find a different electrician.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:09 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St auguatine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdavitt View Post
Whoa. Be "sure" the electrician understands that you want a 30A 120V service, plus some 15A 120V receptacles. Many home electricians assume that a 30A circuit should be at 240V. If you plug 240V into your airstream you will probably fry a lot of stuff.

Pat
Just had a heart attack...Thank you very much for the very clear amp/volt warning. I have a sinking feeling that without the advice, I would indeed end up with the biggest problem yet.
carpenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:11 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
I would put in 50 amp and 30 amp plugs. If your electrician does not understand, find a different electrician.
Ha! That’s how it should be.. sadly I am not well versed enough to know the difference until it’s too late. Thanksful for this forum!
Old 05-08-2019, 12:17 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
One thing your electrician will need to consider is what type of feeder you are using.

If you are on rocky soil with lots of tree roots you should use rigid galvanized pipe. You can use UF (underground feeder cable) buried 12" deep if you are only using 120v 20a service and have GFCI protection. Otherwise UF needs to be 24" deep.

If you are on sandy or loose soil you can use plastic PVC conduit buried 18" deep.

Which you choose depends on the type of soil, how long the run, and your electrician's willingness to dig a trench. He will also know if any local rules override the general conditions above.
Who knew I stalling a post with electricity for Vanchicklet would be so complicated! Thank you so much for this valuable info! The property is on a river (that floods) and is full of rocks and large old tree roots. And I will definitely insist on onff at box and on the post. Thank You!!!
Old 05-08-2019, 12:20 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateChris View Post
Sounds like you want a standard RV power panel.

Try this link to Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Siemens-TL137...32207842&psc=1

or just google "30 Amp RV Power Panel"

this is an easy and straight forward install for a licensed electrician.

good luck

PirateChris
Thank you Pirate Chris. I think it’s easy for a good electrician but I would not have a clue how to explain all this and what to expect if I hadn’t posted. Thank you very much!!
Old 05-08-2019, 12:21 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Thank you TN.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:44 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
Recommend having your electrician install an Eaton CHU1N7N4NS, available via Home Depot.

Tell your electrician that this is for a recreational vehicle (NEC Article 551), and you feeder panel will provide receptacles shown in Figure 551.46(C)(1) of the 2017 NEC Handbook. Recommend that your electrician also installs a new grounding electrode (ground rod) at your outlet panel.

Strongly recommend that you provide GFCI protection for each circuit in your feeder panel. This means replacing the 30A panel breaker with:
Eaton BR 30-Amp 1-Pole GFCI Circuit Breaker Model GFTCB130
and replacing the 50A breaker with:
Eaton BR 50-Amp 2-Pole GFCI Circuit Breaker Model GFTCB250CS
Believe the panel above uses Eaton BR type breakers, but have your electrician verify it first. The Eaton panel above has a GFCI protected 20A receptacle.

While not yet specified in the NEC, we are sure glad we replaced our 30A and 50A breakers with GFCI. At least twice, they identified a problem with our trailer.

73/gus

Wow, thank you so much for all of this advice. You and the others on the forum have been so helpful and also opened my eyes to my “simple” request for a 30 amp post with some “regular” outlets on my property.