Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2014, 10:38 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
"Service A due" message

Just got message on dash that "service A is due in 1200 miles." I looked in manuals but can't find what "service A" entails.

Since I'm on the road, I need to plan ahead to find a Mercedes dealer that can do my service.

Anyone know where the info on this can be found? Or, will the dealer know what Service A is?

Thx.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
Just got message on dash that "service A is due in 1200 miles." I looked in manuals but can't find what "service A" entails.

Since I'm on the road, I need to plan ahead to find a Mercedes dealer that can do my service.

Anyone know where the info on this can be found? Or, will the dealer know what Service A is?

Thx.
Service A is a basic service including oil change, and possibly air filter. Things like fuel filters are usually done at the second service. My dash displays the service required by a wrench icon. one wrench I guess is schedule A and 2 wrenches is the more comprehensive (read expensive) schedule B service.

I have been changing the oil every 5,000 miles that relying on the computer intervals and also change the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles rather than the recommended 60,000.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:37 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:

Thx.
Service A can be found in the Maintenance Manual, although the manual calls it "Oil Service Plus." The other service level, which will show up as Service B on the dashboard, is called "Maintenance Service" in the Sprinter Maintenance Manual.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
The Sprinter forum is a wealth of info. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:30 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
"Service A due" message

Weirdstuff,
Find a Mercedes dealer that services Sprinters (not all dealers do). I was going to change the oil myself until I found out that it would have cost me more for just the oil than if I had the dealer do it. The Sprinter uses 13.2 quarts of Mobile-1 ESP Formula M 5w-40 which would have cost $194.73 at Pepboys. Long Beach MB charged me $187 for an oil and filter change, and I confirmed with the Service Writer that they used the correct oil. I did not have them do a "Service A" because I can check my own tire pressure, DEF level, belts, engine and cabin air filters, etc., and it was easy to reset the "service A due" warning myself using the steering wheel buttons (there's a video on this procedure on u tube). Another dealer told me that they need to hook up the Sprinter onto their diagnostic system to reset the service message, but that is not true. If you feel uncomfortable, have the dealer do the whole Service A. They know what a "Service A" entails. Happy travels.
David
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Thanks all. Realized my service manual is at home in my Airstream folder. Ok, no prob. Will find a Mercedes/sprinter dealer.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:23 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Realized my service manual is at home in my Airstream folder.
You can download it here:

Mercedes-Benz Sprinter: Owners Manuals
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Thanks all. Realized my service manual is at home in my Airstream folder. Ok, no prob. Will find a Mercedes/sprinter dealer.
You can find a Sprinter authorized dealer at these websites:
The 2014 Sprinter Van. Ahead of its time. Again.
The 2014 Sprinter Van. Built to Work Smarter.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Some Dodge dealers still service Sprinters and I believe some Freightliner dealers do also.

Taking mine in tomorrow for rest of Service B. Already did the oil, filter, air filter, front A/C filter, & DEF because I scored a good deal on the oil on Amazon and got a Mobil 1 rebate.

You should have rec'd a portfolio/satchel w/ all of the MB and Airstream manuals plus the Airstream installed equipment.

Give me a heads-up if you plan to stop for some KC BBQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post

I have been changing the oil every 5,000 miles that relying on the computer intervals and also change the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles rather than the recommended 60,000.
According to my maintenance manual, tranny service is every 2nd maintenance service which would coincide w/ Service B or every 20,000 miles.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
According to my maintenance manual, tranny service is every 2nd maintenance service which would coincide w/ Service B or every 20,000 miles.
That was true in 2011. For 2014, it is every fourth oil change. A little surprising since I am pretty sure they are the same transmission (for the V6, that is). Not sure if the fluid recommendation is the same, though.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
That was true in 2011. For 2014, it is every fourth oil change. A little surprising since I am pretty sure they are the same transmission (for the V6, that is). Not sure if the fluid recommendation is the same, though.
I'll check tomorrow and see if they know what the difference is.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:

avanti is correct.

Actually since the maintenance service is the same as Service B and tranny service is every 2nd Maintenance service, then it's every 40,000 for 2011. My bad.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:28 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Some Dodge dealers still service Sprinters and I believe some Freightliner dealers do also.

Taking mine in tomorrow for rest of Service B. Already did the oil, filter, air filter, front A/C filter, & DEF because I scored a good deal on the oil on Amazon and got a Mobil 1 rebate.

You should have rec'd a portfolio/satchel w/ all of the MB and Airstream manuals plus the Airstream installed equipment.

Give me a heads-up if you plan to stop for some KC BBQ.

Dodge dealers are only able to service thru the 2009 model year. You will need an authorized Mercedes Sprinter dealer or Freightliner Sprinter dealer if your model year is 2010 or later.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:43 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
MB/sprinter dealer 12 miles from where we r in st Charles, MO. Made appt for tomorrow afternoon.

Shark73....Will miss u in Kansas. We r in st Charles and will head south next. We only touched tip of Kansas when we missed our exit out of Kansas City Missouri and ended up over the Kansas state line. Was my first time ever in Kansas, and I enjoyed it, even though it was only for a couple miles!! Lol?
Old 07-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
MB/sprinter dealer 12 miles from where we r in st Charles, MO. Made appt for tomorrow afternoon.

Shark73....Will miss u in Kansas. We r in st Charles and will head south next. We only touched tip of Kansas when we missed our exit out of Kansas City Missouri and ended up over the Kansas state line. Was my first time ever in Kansas, and I enjoyed it, even though it was only for a couple miles!! Lol?
Then you were only about ten miles from me if you were on I-70. Maybe next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Dodge dealers are only able to service thru the 2009 model year. You will need an authorized Mercedes Sprinter dealer or Freightliner Sprinter dealer if your model year is 2010 or later.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
Will find out tomorrow. Even then they should be able to do there rotate and balance and alignment.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
73shark.....yes, we were on the 70! You should have the state put up a sign pointing to your house so that people like me can find you when we accidentally cross the state line!!!
Old 07-12-2014, 08:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
By the way, we ended up with an appointment at Mercedes Benz of St Charles. Nice people there.

We did oil change and new oil filter. And they washed the rig for us, which we desperately needed. Cost $180.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
It sounds like they took good care of you in St Louis. Maybe next time when you're through this area we can get together for that BBQ.