Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

raymond , Iowa
Second Row Seats

I am still in the market for an Interstate. Mostly my wife and I for 2-4 week trips (lounge with DWD), but would like to be able to take 2-6 others on roadtrips (lounge seating 8). Best of both worlds would seem to be to buy the second row seats and remove them except when needed. Is this workable?
RickABishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Why not?

You can't sleep more than two adults, really, but can stay in a hotel or camping cabin.

We fill the back with grandkids and go.....they and we have a blast.

Maggie
Old 12-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Not sure how easy it is to take out/put back the seats on a regular basis. There is a thread about this, but I can't remember the title of the thread. I seem to remember reading that it's not that easy to do...something about the bolts.

I was reading that thread 'cause we were thinking about removing ours as well, to make room for doggie beds. But it ends up that, since we've owned ours, we find that we do use those seats after all. We rotate the front ones around and then each person can sit in a seat, and put their feet up on the seat across. And, depending on the view, we'll sit in either the front, or the 2nd row seats.

We also use one of the 2nd row seats to toss stuff on throughout the day, since there's not much counter space...backpack, book/magazine, hat/gloves/scarf.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I think the problem addressed in the other thread dealt with the fact that the nuts on the underneath side were hidden by the various storage tanks and were not captive.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
The lounge with DWD model sacrifices the 2nd row seats to provide space for the dual wardrobes. In other words you can have either 2nd row seats or dual wardrobes but not both. You might consider a single wardrobe model which retains one 2nd row seat but provides total seating for 7 (or 8 if you delete the curbside hanging wardrobe).
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Yes - we went with the single wardrobe model on the extended van (3 seats up front). Our reasoning was that if we had a single guest with us, he/she could ride up front with my wife and me. If we had two or more guests, then they could keep themselves company at the back.
Sleeping is for just the two of us!
The large wardrobe plus the half wardrobe behind the bathroom provides adequate storage for our needs.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post

We also use one of the 2nd row seats to toss stuff on throughout the day, since there's not much counter space...backpack, book/magazine, hat/gloves/scarf.
You might add some hooks for these things, ones you screw in which will handle weight over time better than peel & stick.

We have a cab commander from duluthtrading.com, below, which sits on the floor behind the passenger seat, also a backseat organizer that rides just above it. Invaluable storage space for small items.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	202246  
Old 12-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickABishop View Post
I am still in the market for an Interstate. Mostly my wife and I for 2-4 week trips (lounge with DWD), but would like to be able to take 2-6 others on roadtrips (lounge seating 8). Best of both worlds would seem to be to buy the second row seats and remove them except when needed. Is this workable?
The second row seats in the Interstate are not designed to be removed and replaced easily. I don't think removing the second row seats is workable unless you come up with some sort of quick release mechanism like the ones I had on my old Ford E-350 van.

We have an Extended Lounge model because like you we wanted to be able to take 2-6 others with use on short trips. On long trips we have found the second row seats become very useful as others have mentioned. We don't have pets so the seats are handy.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
MeandMB

Selbyville , Delaware
We ordered our ext. cab without the rear two seats with no regrets. With this configuration the galley area is pushed forward eliminating the cramped van feel and look. Getting in and out is not as restricted and unless you have a need to accommodate two additional captain's chairs, go without.
MeandMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeandMB View Post
We ordered our ext. cab without the rear two seats with no regrets. With this configuration the galley area is pushed forward eliminating the cramped van feel and look. Getting in and out is not as restricted and unless you have a need to accommodate two additional captain's chairs, go without.
Didn't know you could get the extended with no second row seats. Was this a special order? I might have gone with that since I liked the idea of no half-length wardrobe at the back - makes it a very spacious lounge.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

raymond , Iowa
I too did not know that the EXT was available without second row seats (ie with dual wardrobe). I saw no good reason for AS to not offer it this way, but didn't see, that they did.

Thanks for the 'its not easy' caution about removing the seats. I wondered if I would need to, and be able to, get at something from underneath. Thought maybe there would be a big pedastal remaining it I didn't/couldn't get underneath.
RickABishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #12
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Actually Airstream will do quite a few mods that the brochure or dealers don't mention. For example they will supply a twin bed plan in an extended van. Haven't seen what the floor plan would look like but I'm sure they could supply shop drawings.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #13

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
We have a cab commander from duluthtrading.com, below, which sits on the floor behind the passenger seat, also a backseat organizer that rides just above it. Invaluable storage space for small items.
Great idea Maggie! I am a big fan of Duluth Trading products but I had not thought of the Cab Commander. It looks as if it will be perfect in the drivers side passenger seat. I just ordered one, but they are backordered until January 20, 2014.

In the meantime I have a question you can probably answer for me. The photo in the catalog shows what appears to be a Stanley Classic thermos (which I have always admired) in the pocket. Is that pocket big enough to hold the 1 liter (1.1 qt) size or is that a 16 Oz (1 pint) size? We are hoping it is the 1 liter size.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #14
MeandMB

Selbyville , Delaware
UKDUKE,

Purchased our van during the Hershey show this year and was informed we could order the van without the rear two seats. Colonial Airstream stated they were receiving a number of requests for no rear seats and Ohio was considering making it a standard option.

Joe
MeandMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Thanks for the info Joe. Wish I had taken that option; but I might consider the upgrade at some stage in the future.
Have a Great holiday!
Peter
Old 12-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post

In the meantime I have a question you can probably answer for me. The photo in the catalog shows what appears to be a Stanley Classic thermos (which I have always admired) in the pocket. Is that pocket big enough to hold the 1 liter (1.1 qt) size or is that a 16 Oz (1 pint) size? We are hoping it is the 1 liter size.
Those side pockets (2) will each easily hold a 1 liter thermos or water bottle.

We put our organizers, which are black, in the washing machine on cold water once a year or so, let them air dry and they clean up beautifully.

Maggie
Old 12-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #17

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
I loved your idea and immediately ordered the Cab Commander from Duluth Trading and this afternoon I received the following…
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Trading
Thanks for your recent order. But we’re sorry to say that the item(s) listed below has been cancelled or discontinued:

ITEM #1
DESCRIPTION:Cab Commander GRAY
QTY: 1
PRICE: 39.50
78072 GRA

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote