Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2016, 10:33 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
scan tool recommendations?

I am interested in buying a scan tool to carry with me in my interstate. I mostly want to be able to read codes if the check engine light pops on but would also be interested in monitoring things while driving. Not sure what data is available (trans temp would be good one, or engine oil temp ... even coolant temp in actual degrees instead of a vague needle reading that I suspect is just an idiot gauge not one that actually sweeps to indicate a true reading). I somewhat understand the concept of "load" and I am one who would do manual downshifts to make it easier on the driveline if I could monitor "load" while climbing hills or pulling a trailer. Anyhow, does anyone have a recommendation for a scan tool that is particularly compatible with the Sprinter (as I understand it lots of the generic stuff does not interface well with the MB) or a link to a thread where this is discussed? I did a search and did not come up with anything. Perhaps I should be looking on a Sprinter forum instead of here. BTW, I don't have smart phone so none of the new bluetooth stuff will work for me ... and I really want to stick the display to the dash as a permanent gauge.

TIA!
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Check out www.Autoenginuity.com I have been using their scan tool for years on various cars including Mercedes. I do not know about compatibility with smartphones as I have been using mine on my laptop.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:53 AM   #3
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
ScanGauge II
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
ScanGauge II
^x2

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:39 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Call Banks power they make a gauge called the Idash that works great. It should work for you since the info is open on the obd port but they could confirm that.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
^x2
/\/\/\ X3

It plugs into the OBD II port and can display four different functions (you can choose from all that are available) at once on the display. It's relatively small (~1" X ~4") and comes w/ a long cable so it can be mounted just about anywhere. I mounted mine (Velcro) under the overhang for the instruments and that didn't obstruct any of the displays.

While it can scan for codes, I was advised by my MB service advisor not to clear any codes because the scanner gets more info than just the code.

You can check it out here.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Check out www.Autoenginuity.com I have been using their scan tool for years on various cars including Mercedes. I do not know about compatibility with smartphones as I have been using mine on my laptop.
Larry
As best I could tell from their website, you actually have to connect to a Windows laptop or PC which kind of precludes the driver from using it as a display while driving.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
My husband literally bought this gizmo just a few days ago, and he'd be able to speak more intelligently about it. We had been using one of the older clunky code readers that must have weighed five pounds, the ones you plug in only when needed. Now we have this little thing that looks like a chunk of white chocolate fudge or something, and it stays in place permanently.

The catch is that we have a T1N Sprinter which is ten years beyond last production, and as I understand it, we still have to resort to the internet to look up the codes. They can't be downloaded into the app. I don't know if this is also true of the NCV3. Husband will likely chime in after he gets off work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160726_CARISTA_PHOTOS.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	267754  
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Where can you mount an iPad so the driver can easily see w/o taking eyes off road very long?

Old 07-26-2016, 03:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have an adjustable arm thingy for my IPad, that my son got for me last year, that mounts to the windshield with a clamp type suction cup.

Works great.

Maggie
Old 07-26-2016, 03:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
In our case, what I envision is me driving and my husband poring intently over the iPad.

But if one WERE going to mount an iPad, at least in a T1N I think yes, it would have to be windshield.

I bought a super duper heavy duty adjustable iPhone jaws-like grasper with a giant spring clip on the other end, so that I could have my music within reach when I'm in the driver's seat (I use a UE Boom bluetooth speaker). I don't need to take eyes off the road to read anything - I just need to reach out and tap "skip" now and again. But there's nowhere in the T1N's cab to attach the clip. Absolutely nowhere. I should have gone with a windshield suction device.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
scan tool recommendations?

There are a few states that don't allow attaching stuff to the windshield to mount them.

California is one for sure...might want to check before you go someplace that will be grumpy about this.

I use sticky pads on the dash that can hold a suction cup instead.

(Yeah, it's a silly law, until you have seen the amazing amounts of crap some people have put on their windscreen and dash around here. Too much blocking the view. )

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:52 PM   #13
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
But if one WERE going to mount an iPad, at least in a T1N I think yes, it would have to be windshield.
Just thinking outside the box, but what about a mount on one of the seat armrests? Right at the end of the armrest is a very ergonomic place to mount anything that you'll manipulate with your fingers, and if you have to get up and move around, just swing it up out of the way.

Kind of like a pilot's kneeboard, but on the armrest instead so you don't have to look down so far to see it.

Speaking of which, they do make kneeboards for tablet computers (with a Velcro strap to attach it to your thigh) if you want to try one before modifying your van to mount a tablet.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:31 PM   #14
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
/\/\/\ X3

It plugs into the OBD II port and can display four different functions (you can choose from all that are available) at once on the display. It's relatively small (~1" X ~4") and comes w/ a long cable so it can be mounted just about anywhere. I mounted mine (Velcro) under the overhang for the instruments and that didn't obstruct any of the displays.

While it can scan for codes, I was advised by my MB service advisor not to clear any codes because the scanner gets more info than just the code.

You can check it out here.
X4

Easy install, more monitoring functions than you'll ever use and it's small. You get you pick what you want to see. Got one on my VW 1.9L TDI.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:02 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
Scanguage ll. Will monitor 4 systems at a time, it's small and easy to mount. I have a T1N and mounted mine to the emergency blinker switch on the steering column. I downloaded all the codes to my phone but since you don't have a phone you could easily have somebody print them out for you.
Sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:51 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Just thinking outside the box, but what about a mount on one of the seat armrests? ....
That is where I had assumed I would mount my iPhone, especially because the T1N's armrests are quite solid and are blocky or rectilinear (searching my early-morning head for the best word), not curved or cushy, and thus should be able to hold stuff with less risk of it slipping off. I thought the "jaws" clamp would work perfectly but the jaws can't open wide enough. Another mechanism might work but I haven't found one yet.

A smaller device such as an iPhone can be hung off the T1N's gear shift. That's where mine is being stored as an interim solution. I place it in a hanging holder intended for soda cans (or beer cans). But I can't hit "skip" when it's in there.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:14 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
That is where I had assumed I would mount my iPhone, especially because the T1N's armrests are quite solid and are blocky or rectilinear (searching my early-morning head for the best word), not curved or cushy, and thus should be able to hold stuff with less risk of it slipping off. I thought the "jaws" clamp would work perfectly but the jaws can't open wide enough. Another mechanism might work but I haven't found one yet.
A piece of square tubing can slip over the end of the armrest and serve to attach a device that uses a clamp, if the tubing extends slightly past the end of the armrest. Or a Velcro wrap strap can be wrapped around the armrest.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:31 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Folks, whenever deciding upon mounting ANYTHING, please contact your manufacturer and study the airbag deployment zone maps for your particular vehicle. Often they can be found in the upfitter manual.

Things like phones mounted on the dash often become missiles when an airbag deploys, and "brackets", "rods" etc become spears.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:59 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
My husband literally bought this gizmo just a few days ago, and he'd be able to speak more intelligently about it. We had been using one of the older clunky code readers that must have weighed five pounds, the ones you plug in only when needed. Now we have this little thing that looks like a chunk of white chocolate fudge or something, and it stays in place permanently.

The catch is that we have a T1N Sprinter which is ten years beyond last production, and as I understand it, we still have to resort to the internet to look up the codes. They can't be downloaded into the app. I don't know if this is also true of the NCV3. Husband will likely chime in after he gets off work.
So far this tool works pretty well. It's one of the first Bluetooth OBD dongles for the iPhone so it isn't supported by every app out there which was a bit of a disappointment. But it at least keeps the wifi free to google search codes.

Most apps let you custom configure lots of gauges to watch speed, RPMs, boost levels, mass air flow, calculated HP, fuel consumption, etc. But as IB noted it doesn't have a code database. I don't hold out any hope that an app developer will ever incorporate the thousands of possible codes into their software for a vehicle that isn't in production and didn't sell in huge numbers.

The scanner was relatively inexpensive (~$30) but more than the $10 scanners for android devices. It will only read sensor outputs and read and clear codes. It won't Let you command any diagnostics or reset or reprogram any parameters so it is much more limited than the old DAN scanner I'm hoping to one day find.

In the meantime, something like the iCarsoft MBII i980 may be a decent compromise at the ~$200 price point.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:11 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
In my 2008 I mounted a Scanguage II to the steering column with velcro and plugs into OBD port - simple. It is small enough that it does not interfere with the other guages on the instrument panel and you can see it easily while driving. Lots of features like ongoing MPG temp etc. that you can program in and monitor performance. I got mine at Camping World.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote