Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2020, 08:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Satellite TV advice

The former owner kept the receiver in our Interstate. I contacted our local satellite installer who was of little help and said the Winegard dish mounted to our RV would probably not work with their current receiver. I asked if we could try and that was a no go. This would be a Dish Network receiver.

We have a 2014.5 Interstate with the original Samsung TVs. Does anyone have advice on what works the best or if a newer receiver will work with the Winegard satellite from around that year, or if your setup works well?

We are limited by camping in areas that do not have Wi-fi or cell signals at times due to hills or being in remote areas at times.
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:59 AM   #2
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I use the Pathfinder X2 with my Dish VIP 211z receiver. Portable is nice as I can usually find an opening to "see" the satellites. The X2 is good because it can see satellites in whichever arc you can see. Downside is that you have to find a place to store the dish.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:25 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Clearwater , Florida
Try calling DISH again and make sure you’re talking with a DISH Anywhere expert. We bought a Foretravel used with Wineguard and receiver. No problem setting it up for us, DISH just had us removed the card in receiver to register it on our account. The Wineguard has a switch for either Direct or DISH.

U320 Foretravel (sold)
2017 Ram 2500 (sold)
2018 Classic 30 (sold)
Seavalley18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
+2 also have the pathfinder. East set up. Works great only drawback is as pmclemore said another thing to store.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Thanks for the advice, still open to opinions but good to have a direction to go. I’m smiling a bit when you say storing is a problem. Wish we had your storage availability! We are in an Interstate so I am measuring inches trying to find space to store things! Still great to have your input on experiences, and it’s appreciated. Hope some to have more votes just out of curiosity. Safe travels!
Old 06-22-2020, 06:58 PM   #6
lookingin

Currently Looking...
Golden , Colorado
Wait

https://www.space.com/spacex-starlin...vice-2020.html

Private beta is in use now, public beta perhaps later this year, given that this is a new technology, bets are that it will perform better, turn out cheaper and support improved portability than legacy satellite internet service providers.
lookingin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 09:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Very good point. Might be worth waiting for SpaceX...
Old 06-26-2020, 06:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Question, if you hook your Winegard mounted on the Airstream Interstate up to Dish, you have to buy the receiver, yes? They said it’s $7.00 a month if you have a home dish. Do you pay a package fee on top of the $7.00 a month? Or is it like a piggy back since your are already paying on your home plan package?

Sorry for these questions, our local company is not helpful as I said. Might look at this option for the summer until SpaceX gets up and running and see how that works.
Old 06-26-2020, 06:32 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
Question: why not stream YouTube TV or similar? Verizon has a vzw operated prepaid brand called visible that lets you tether unlimited data at 5mbs, which would be enough for probably up to 2 TVs. Are you camping at spots that don’t get Verizon coverage?
nateallen80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Yes, we are camping in places that cell coverage is not great. The bluffs and hills around the Mississippi River regions have especially sketchy coverage. Good question though. I bought all the wi-if and streaming goods thinking that would work but it was a no go last year.

If only you knew how extreme it gets when we miss a college football game!
Old 06-27-2020, 04:44 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Centre County , Pennsylvania
Yes, you’ll have to buy a dish receiver. And it will cost you $7 per month if you already have dish. For us, it was a no-brainer. We’ve been very happy with it.

Tip: if you are out of range of your local channels and you have no over air reception, you can call dish and ask them to switch your service address to receive different locals. Only worth the hassle if you plan to be relocated for a while. And you’ll have to switch back when you get home.
Lineolated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 04:42 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post
Yes, we are camping in places that cell coverage is not great. The bluffs and hills around the Mississippi River regions have especially sketchy coverage. Good question though. I bought all the wi-if and streaming goods thinking that would work but it was a no go last year.

If only you knew how extreme it gets when we miss a college football game!
That makes sense. You definitely need to be able to watch the Hawks!
nateallen80 is offline   Reply With Quote