Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Check your dip switch settings and let me know if it fixes your problem. It worked for me
Can you post a picture of your final dip switch settings?
jquayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
The only way to disable and isolate the charging circuit in your inverter/charger is to throw the circuit breaker that provides it with 120VDC. It should be marked in your breaker box.

NOPE! That's exactly what I meant. When inverter/chargers are properly installed, they have a dedicated circuit breaker on the input line from the breaker box. On larger coaches with auxiliary circuit breaker boxes dedicated to the 'inverter circuits', there is also a 30 amp output circuit breaker in the auxiliary box. If you want to isolate the inverter/charger from your circuits, you simply throw the inverter's input circuit breaker. No power to the unit, no draw from the charger circuit.

If you don't have one of these, then what is protecting the circuit feeding 120VAC into the inverter/charger?[/QUOTE]

lewster,

I don't want to start an unproductive argument here but I rely on this forum to further my understanding of the Interstate and its systems. I'm a little confused by your post(s), maybe you can straighten me out.

The post you quoted (and then verified as being "exactly what you meant" says:
"The only way to disable and isolate the charging circuit in your inverter/charger is to throw the circuit breaker that provides it with 120VDC."

Help me understand a couple of things here:
First, "The only way to disable and isolate the charging circuit in your inverter/charger is to throw the circuit breaker........"

The Tripp-Lite manual seems to clearly state, in multiple places, that the charging circuits are inactive with the Mode Switch (on the unit itself, not the remote panel) in the DC OFF position. Here's what the manual says:
  • Page 3; "The "DC OFF" setting de-energizes the unit and connects AC OUT to AC IN. See Operation section for setting instructions."

• Page 4; "DC OFF: Switch to this mode to prevent the inverter from drawing power from the batteries."
Again, are you saying the Tripp-Lite manual is wrong??

Second, the last part of your sentence says; "......that provides it with 120VDC."

I'm pretty sure that 120V DC exists nowhere in the Interstate.

Thanks for any enlightenment you can offer.

Wayne
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by jquayle View Post
Not sure these switches are easy to capture on a useful photo, but you can refer to page 6 of the Tripp-Lite manual which you can download here: http://www.tripplite.com/shared/tech...ual/932768.pdf

This is for the RV750ULHW which is the model in my Interstate. Manuals for other models are available at the same website.

Hope this helps,
Wayne
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
Old 07-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
Quote:

Hello jquayle,
Here is my current dip switch settings. In case the picture isn't clear, the positions are (from right to left), up, down, down, up / down, up, up, down. My inverter is a Tripp-Lite RV750ULHW. Thanks,
David

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4257296036.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	474.6 KB
ID:	190142
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Quote:

mine is in that same config 90% if the time! The memory foam mattress makes it fun trying to crawl under there and access the panel.

Just wanted to say I have the same experience. AC runs fine off shore power. (20 amp, not on a 30 amp circuit)
Mine also worked fine off of 20 amp shore power -- which perplexed me for a while. I thought, why would the inverter run the a/c under shore power when, at 20 amps, it isn't getting any more amps than what the generator puts out? Well it's because I wasn't pressing the "Select" button on the overhead panel to 20 amps when plugged in. So the inverter thought it was getting 30
amp shore power, doh!
Old 07-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Do you remember which charging option you changed it to?
Here's my switch settings which according to my guy talking to Jim P. are the latest settings:

B4-UP, B3-UP, B2-DOWN, B1-DOWN, A4-DOWN, A3-UP, A2-DOWN, A1-UP

The 20/30 amp button on the panel does nothing on my unit.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Hello jquayle,
Here is my current dip switch settings. In case the picture isn't clear, the positions are (from right to left), up, down, down, up / down, up, up, down. My inverter is a Tripp-Lite RV750ULHW. Thanks,
David

Attachment 190142

Did you really mean "right to left"?

Old 07-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

Here's my switch settings which according to my guy talking to Jim P. are the latest settings:

B4-UP, B3-UP, B2-DOWN, B1-DOWN, A4-DOWN, A3-UP, A2-DOWN, A1-UP

The 20/30 amp button on the panel does nothing on my unit.
Yes, I did mean right to left. This is because the manual numbers the dip switches from right to left. My B1 and B2 were also both in the down position as a default, which caused my A/C not to turn on. Flip B2 up and see if this works for you. It did for me
Old 07-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Aaargh!! I'm a complete newbie when it comes to RV electrics, and I'm seriously trying to learn from this thread. However, it doesn't help that my Interstate has a Magnum inverter and Panel, and I can find no references to any of the above in the Magnum literature.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
UKDUDE,
I also have a 2013 Interstate with Magnum Inverter/Charger. I have run my AC off the propane generator many times with no issues as being discussed in this thread. My advice I not to worry about this unless you are having problems running AC off the generator. I consider the Magnum a superior unit to the Tripp-Lite. It is a 1000 watt inverter compared to the 750 watt Tripp-Lite.

- - Mike
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boca Raton , Florida
Is it possible for generator to have trouble with loads when low on propane?
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Hello jquayle,
David

Attachment 190142

The only one I would change is B4 to UP as the inverter will draw less current and it also will extend the life of the batteries. (according to the Tripp-Lite manual) It also was the change that kept the A/C from tripping off last summer.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post
Is it possible for generator to have trouble with loads when low on propane?
Possibly when the liquid is gone and just vapor is left. But at that point, I'd guess there's not much fuel left.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
UKDUDE,
I also have a 2013 Interstate with Magnum Inverter/Charger. I have run my AC off the propane generator many times with no issues as being discussed in this thread. My advice I not to worry about this unless you are having problems running AC off the generator. I consider the Magnum a superior unit to the Tripp-Lite. It is a 1000 watt inverter compared to the 750 watt Tripp-Lite.

- - Mike
Wow, I wish mine came with the Magnum inverter. Then I wouldn't have had to go through this whole ordeal
Old 07-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

The only one I would change is B4 to UP as the inverter will draw less current and it also will extend the life of the batteries. (according to the Tripp-Lite manual) It also was the change that kept the A/C from tripping off last summer.
Yeah, I was thinking of the same thing. But the manual makes reference to extending life of smaller batteries. But I would think this applies somewhat to the Lifeline AGMs as well. I don't know enough about it to make an informed decision at this time. I'm sure others here do.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:05 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Aaargh!! I'm a complete newbie when it comes to RV electrics, and I'm seriously trying to learn from this thread. However, it doesn't help that my Interstate has a Magnum inverter and Panel, and I can find no references to any of the above in the Magnum literature.
UKDUDE,
You can download the Owner's Manuals and Data Sheets (PDFs) for the various Magnum Inverter/Chargers from their website: Document Library
Just choose your category (PSW or MSW) and select your model.
Wayne
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
Old 07-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #57
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Thank you wayneskid and Boxster1971 - and others. I'm concerned about these settings because I had been keeping the coach batteries fully charged at home by periodically plugging in the shoreline; and then had to go away for 15 days, leaving the batteries disabled with the switch - and returned to find the coaches batteries were totally flat, they couldn't even power a single led light. I never got to the bottom of it.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:08 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Thank you wayneskid and Boxster1971 - and others. I'm concerned about these settings because I had been keeping the coach batteries fully charged at home by periodically plugging in the shoreline; and then had to go away for 15 days, leaving the batteries disabled with the switch - and returned to find the coaches batteries were totally flat, they couldn't even power a single led light. I never got to the bottom of it.
That's a big bummer! The bad news is that just one cycle of completely discharging your batteries has damaged them permanently. They will now never have their rated capacity. So, I hope you can find the cause of the discharge before you replace the batteries. As you have a different Inverter/Charger I can't give you much specific help but the main battery disconnect switch in my 2010 Interstate disconnects almost all loads. With the main disconnect off, it shouldn't discharge the batteries to the extent you mention in 15 days.

Good luck!
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
Old 07-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Unless it was cloudy every day, the solar panel should have kept them charged.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #60
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
That's a big bummer! The bad news is that just one cycle of completely discharging your batteries has damaged them permanently. They will now never have their rated capacity. So, I hope you can find the cause of the discharge before you replace the batteries. As you have a different Inverter/Charger I can't give you much specific help but the main battery disconnect switch in my 2010 Interstate disconnects almost all loads. With the main disconnect off, it shouldn't discharge the batteries to the extent you mention in 15 days.

Good luck!
In my 2012, the main battery disconnect doesn't quite disconnect everything. Here's what remains powered when the disconnect is switched off, based on what I remember of experimenting— and making mistakes— on my Interstate:
(1) Solar panel - but that's good. I mention this because the solar panel's charge controller is powered by the battery, not by the panel. A side effect of this is, if the batteries are discharged too far, the solar panel's charge controller quits working and the panel stops charging the batteries.
(2) Solenoid for propane cutoff, IF the propane cutoff switch is left on. Pretty hefty drain, about 18 amp-hours per day, if memory serves. Another Forums poster listed the actual drain, somewhere.
(3) Inverter, IF the inverter is set to "auto/invert." This means that if you left any breakers on, 120vAC appliances such as the televisions can still draw power— any television with a remote still draws some power even when switched off, otherwise it couldn't receive a signal from the remote to turn on. And of course the inverter itself draws power, too, to power itself even if no appliances are running. But, since you have a different inverter/charger, yours might be wired differently. Easy enough to find out, though. Disconnect any shore power and leave the generator off. Plug a tester into one of the outlets, leave the breakers on, leave the inverter on, and turn off the battery disconnect. If the tester registers current, your inverter bypasses the cutoff, too, same as mine.
(4) LPG detector— I think— but that draws less than 10 milliamps.
(5) The sofa recliner motor— I think— I'd have to check to confirm that, because it has been a while since I accidentally tried to move the sofa with the disconnect switched off. But that's not a draw unless you're trying to move the sofa. I mention it only for the sake of completeness.
(6) The television antenna amplifier. This is a huge draw all by itself, so you must always switch it off when you're not using the televisions.

The retractable side step draws off the chassis battery, not the house batteries. I think the power awning does, too.

I made this list by memory, so if I forgot something, or mis-remembered, I hope other Forums posters will correct me.