Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2018, 11:12 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
New York , New York
Routine Service - Where?

I’m curious where everyone takes their AIs for scheduled service. I just relocated to Los Angeles and have been calling around to find a new place.

Coming up on my 40k service B appointment and would like input on where you go and if you recall what you paid for the Service B. I’m getting wildly varied quotes.

Thanks,
Susan

2014.5 Interstate
sukismith64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
I would find a Mercedes dealer in a less affluent town if possible. I did that with both of my cars and the cost is much lower as is how much they think they have to do it. In our case service in Tacoma is much cheaper than in Seattle.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
FWIW, my husband and I have a split approach. We DIY as much as possible (such as oil changes), thus saving considerable money. But then when there's a job that demands more skill (such as a transmission servicing), I use our local Sprinter service center, which is run by MB. They are hella expensive of course, but I trust them not to leave residual metal particulates in our transmission fluid, and the like.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
We have clocked nearly 13K miles so far since last April, so this will soon be a matter of interest. What dealer do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
..I use our local Sprinter service center, which is run by MB.
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:02 AM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
FreightLiner is an option. They are also owned by Daimler. If there is a Mercedes shop nearby, they may not be able to do warranty work, but they do sell and service Sprinters.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Our friend with an Interstate takes it to the Mercedes-Benz dealership in Ridgeland, MS.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:04 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Rapid City , South Dakota
Do not go to Los Angeles Airstream for anything. The nightmares I had there took over a year to resolve. And I had to fight to get things right.
Chick Squad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:15 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

New York , New York
Oh! We should talk! They are the WORST for service of any kind. Last time I went there for a simple repair, had to leave the van with them for two weeks, they cooked the house batteries on the lot, blamed me, insinuated I don’t know how to use the van (I lived in it for a year!) and when I got home also noticed the propane unit had been either vandalized or someone hit it, they won’t take responsibility for either thing... never going back.

Where do you go now? If you’re still in the area.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:00 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I live 100 miles from the nearest MB dealer. For some reason the Freightliner place 2 miles away will not service Sprinters (they even have their own Sprinter delivery vans that they apparently do not work on. I found a private shop locally that has the necessary scan tools to diagnose and repair the failed wheel speed sensor (now that commercial warranty is expired). I do oil changes myself but will trust the local private guy with everything else - other than things covered by the extended emissions warranty.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:26 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Fullerton , California
LA/OC Airstream -- Stay Far Away

My friend took only the batteries from her 2017 Int'l Serenity to OC Airstream and they 'misplaced' them, after having them for more than a month and at first telling her she had misused them (after just 6 months of ownership and only three trips!)

They finally 'found' her batteries and now all is well. (I think they just gave her new ones, which they should have from the start.)

When I took my unit there to replace my noisy water pump they scratched the door of my refrigerator. No regard!

I'll read these forums and do future repair work myself whenever I can.

Mike (and Marla)
mpbiagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:45 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Sequim , Washington
Routine Service -Where

Larson Mercedes in Tacoma is now servicing Sprinter 3500 and does a great job.

When travelling, we always include Scottsdale, AZ (Schumacher MB/Airstream) in our itinerary. It's great to go to a one-stop shop and take care of Airstream and MB problems with no finger pointing!
mcaleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:12 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Rapid City , South Dakota
I'm not in the area anymore. But they are the worst dealership in US. Seriously.
Chick Squad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:39 PM   #13
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukismith64 View Post
I’m curious where everyone takes their AIs for scheduled service. I just relocated to Los Angeles and have been calling around to find a new place.

Coming up on my 40k service B appointment and would like input on where you go and if you recall what you paid for the Service B. I’m getting wildly varied quotes.

Thanks,
Susan

2014.5 Interstate
I recently had similar questions/issues when we purchased a used Interstate. We live in a different part of the country but it's a major metropolitan area and I see lots of Sprinters in the area as well as plenty of Mercedes Benz automobiles.

I was disappointed that the local Freightliner center wanted nothing to do with me. The person on the phone explained that work trucks take priority over pleasure vehicles since work truck owners are using their van to make a living!

When calling around to MB dealers I specifically asked to speak to the service writer that handled Sprinters. If the dealership doesn't have a service writer that dealt specifically with Sprinters then I moved on. I also called the parts department to ask for price & availability of some normal wear & tear items such as turn signal bulbs, etc. If the parts department carried said part that was a plus for the particular dealership. I visited one dealership to buy a few parts, spoke to the Sprinter service writer and looked at the service department. That's where I plan to bring our Interstate for service. By the way, they had a similar Class B motorhome in one of the bays when I visited.

Ultimately, I have not had any service work done yet as we have not reached the mileage trigger but it's coming up at 50k miles.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:54 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I use the Freightliner Sprinter dealer in Annapolis, MD. The do great work at fair price and can do warranty and recalls on Mercedes Sprinters in Maryland. I had them do my driver side airbag recall. I was using the Sun Motors Mercedes Sprinter shop in Mechanicsburg, PA as they are on of the best here in the east. But Annaplois is a lot closer for me and they charge the same rates. You will likely have to shop around in your area.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
FYI....if anyone is on east coast and near Greer, SC on I-85, the Freightliner Plant and RV Service Center is located there. They even have a small campground for short stays if your there overnight. Definitely call or email in advance to make an appointment and while there...take the Freightliner Plant tour.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:08 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
I have been using ELITE SPRINTER in Laguna Niguel for 2/3 years (about 50,000 miles) and have been very happy with them. Before I was using Dodge dealer in
San Luis Obispo. Remember Dodge/ Chrysler sold Sprinters originally and trained
many mechanics, The Airstream part has been serviced by Ricks Trailer in San Clemente.

Originally Sprinter service by San Diego Sprinter/Mercedes Benz. Good work but far more expensive than Elite

AEW
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:33 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayaraTravel View Post
We have clocked nearly 13K miles so far since last April, so this will soon be a matter of interest. What dealer do you use?
Sprinter of Clear Lake, which is fairly new and which, annoyingly, does not have a good web presence yet. It is separate and on the opposite side of the freeway from MB of Clear Lake, which causes no end of confusion (the MB dealership had no room to expand so a separate facility was acquired). The Google addressing tile reproduced below is accurate. Most other web references are ambiguous.

Lloyd Walker is the Operations Manager. Chris Griffiths is the Lead Mechanic. Both are excellent and I would ask for Lloyd by name if you contact them.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1997 View Post
FYI....if anyone is on east coast and near Greer, SC on I-85, the Freightliner Plant and RV Service Center is located there. They even have a small campground for short stays if your there overnight. Definitely call or email in advance to make an appointment and while there...take the Freightliner Plant tour.

I think you are referring to the Freightliner Custom Chassis plant and RV Center in Gaffney, SC.

https://www.fcccrv.com/fccc/

I'm sure they don't service Sprinters at this location. This is where they make and service Freightliner motorhome chassis used in large Class-A motorhomes.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:22 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Sprinter of Clear Lake,..[/img]
Thanks!
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:05 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

New York , New York
Found a great place for Sprinter Van service and repair

Thanks to all of you who took the time to answer my question!

After a few false starts and much googling, I found a great place about half an hour from me in Gardena CA called "Fix My Sprinter". They handled my 40k service perfectly, and allowed me to dictate which services I wanted now, and what can wait to 50K and up. Lenny and Danny were both helpful and informative. I'd recommend them to anyone in the LA area.

Fix My Sprinter
www.fixmysprinter.com
310-324-4004

Happy Sprinting!
Susan