Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2017, 03:03 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
This is more of an unconventional space rescue than a small space utilization, hence I am reviving this thread.

Given our recent replacement of the OEM Thetford Aqua Magic V with a Dometic 300 series toilet (Air Forums thread), we simultaneously gained a problem (as a 5'6" person I can no longer touch the floor while on the toilet) and a solution to the problem (increased storage space beside the toilet by virtue of its slimmer design).

My solution is to place the stackers on the floor in front of it when needed. I have to carry them anyway so they might as well do triple duty (the double duty is as a foot rest when I swivel the passenger seat to face the rear).

Many ladies will look at this pic below and think, "Huh - I hope your husband has a good aim."

I have a solution for that. I also plan to use the residual space for the storage of his worst shoes. My husband likes to wear boat shoes without any socks, and he hates shopping so his current pair is usually in advanced stages of decomposition. You can imagine the smell. If they get placed in this location, he'll be very motivated not to miss the mark. Plus I don't have to smell them in the main cabin of the Interstate.

If someone needed to use this space for storage of items that were not otherwise getting filthy during normal use, a hand towel could always be thrown on top of the works to guard against overspray.

This is the kind of kitchen bin that people typically use in organizing their refrigerators. With the velcro holding it in place, of course it can be easily removed if someone is taking a shower.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:20 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
This is more of an unconventional space rescue than a small space utilization, hence I am reviving this thread.

Given our recent replacement of the OEM Thetford Aqua Magic V with a Dometic 300 series toilet (Air Forums thread), we simultaneously gained a problem (as a 5'6" person I can no longer touch the floor while on the toilet) and a solution to the problem (increased storage space beside the toilet by virtue of its slimmer design).

My solution is to place the stackers on the floor in front of it when needed. I have to carry them anyway so they might as well do triple duty (the double duty is as a foot rest when I swivel the passenger seat to face the rear).

Many ladies will look at this pic below and think, "Huh - I hope your husband has a good aim."

I have a solution for that. I also plan to use the residual space for the storage of his worst shoes. My husband likes to wear boat shoes without any socks, and he hates shopping so his current pair is usually in advanced stages of decomposition. You can imagine the smell. If they get placed in this location, he'll be very motivated not to miss the mark. Plus I don't have to smell them in the main cabin of the Interstate.

If someone needed to use this space for storage of items that were not otherwise getting filthy during normal use, a hand towel could always be thrown on top of the works to guard against overspray.

This is the kind of kitchen bin that people typically use in organizing their refrigerators. With the velcro holding it in place, of course it can be easily removed if someone is taking a shower.

Just have your husband sit and pee, problem solved!
Old 09-14-2019, 05:51 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I'm resurrecting Pahaska's thread here, which is a good one. It took me almost 10 minutes to locate it. Searches do not work within Air Forums, and Google wasn't getting the job done for me either. So here are some phrases that might be used to zero in on it more quickly in the future:

reclaimed space
recaptured space
redeveloped space
resurrected space
wasted space
captured space

I had tried every search term except "rescue" because I knew the key word was something LIKE that, but I couldn't remember it exactly.

--Anyway--

Over on the Spare parts to take on the road thread, I bemoaned the fact that my tool, hardware, and automotive parts collection is now eating my sanity. I need better storage options.

I'm resurrecting the idea of capturing the void space above our fresh water tank. It's a shallow space, but a big footprint. If I could make that space more efficient, it would indeed be a win.

But it has to be functional because it's a female dog to get things in and out of there. I can't just cram things on top of the tank and call it a day. I've done that for 5 years and it doesn't work well.

Anyway, I'm back to thinking that a shallow suspended shelf might be the ticket. One that pulls out into the aisle when needed.

However, I don't know what it would take to achieve the mod. The space is so tight that to do it might require dismounting of the fresh water tank. That would probably be a deal-killer.

Keyboard-style hardware can be used for this type of job. Theoretically. I'm still noodling on it.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:15 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I installed a pullout setup for the cabinet not directly under the sink, but the one next to it. I have a plastic box inside (fabricating an aluminum one- but it got pushed way back while doing other stuff)- so open the cabinet and slide the box out. Way easier to fill it up without stuff going all over the place.
I also have a little rechargeable LED that automatically lights when the door is open.

For beside the toilet- I have a small box, that I put the folding chairs in. Using a piece of chute cord to secure.

I put lightweight stuff on top of the fresh tank (like some spare BIG ziplocks and the like). But I like the ides of a real shelf...
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:10 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I need to go back and re-think storage from the very beginning. That space you mentioned where you put a pull-out next to the sink... I'm wondering if that could be built out. Maybe not with a fixed improvement, because I need to put the chain saw along that back wall (= the only place in the Interstate where it will fit), and in order to get the chainsaw back there, I need an empty cabinet. But maybe an efficient custom caddy that removes. Or something.

Five years ago, I was quite pleased with this contraption below, which stops metal flatware from rattling on the road (it sits below the space you mention, Lotus).

But I spent the past 2 years mostly washing disposable plastic flatware, not using this metal stuff, and now I'm thinking that I want to use the GSI plastic flatware, which does not rattle. That means that this contraption has become too fussy. I don't need that whole box taking up space. I can accommodate bowls and drinking cups more efficiently if they are built into void space, and I can lose the woven box entirely, gaining space in the process. I need to be thinking along lines like this.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:15 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Where do you find a woven box like that?
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:50 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
Where do you find a woven box like that?
That one came from Michael's, the craft store. It was about seven bucks.

I have a larger matching woven box that holds my toaster and pots. That, too, needs to be made more space-efficient.

I currently carry two MSR nesting pots and one non-stick Calphalon pot. I've confirmed that I really do need to maintain 3 pots (2 will serve LB_3 and I alone, but when we have people over for dinner, I need the 3rd).

Pot storage is something that maybe could be built into dedicated void spaces, because I'm not inclined to change my cookware. I want to keep carrying the same pots and frying pan because I bought them to fit the SMEV stove exactly (note that the pot below is tall - most pots are wider than they are tall, which is inefficient in this application).

Old 09-17-2019, 09:18 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Thanks. Very good to know.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:23 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
This is an under-utilized and under-appreciated thread. Let me make a contribution to reviving it.

T1N owners with rear couches, jack-knife model (RS) at least -

There is an unobstructed pocket of unclaimed storage space behind the furnace adjacent to the driver's side tail light.

It's small, but every little bit counts, and it's also potentially a bit more secure than the average space, because what thief would think to look in such an obscure area?! Especially when the couch is raised, who would know it was there?

I made a draw-string rip stop nylon bag to fit the space, same color as the couch for camouflage. For this vid, I stuffed it with six pairs of my husband's thick socks. But it could be used for many purposes.

I will probably take this out during winter months. It should not be a problem given the shield that surrounds the furnace (it is outside the shield), but I don't need extra storage during the winter anyway, so why not remove it from the area, just in case?

15 second vid: