Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2019, 08:33 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Yarnell , Arizona
Replacements/Upgrades - Maxxfan and/or Kenwood

Need recommendations for our 2013 AI.

1. Do we replace the Maxxfan which has a broken actuator so we can't really open or shut it with the knob with the same model or should we upgrade to a newer model - if so, which one?
2. Do we upgrade the Garmin maps or replace the whole Kenwood unit? There seems to be nothing wrong with it the Kenwood except the fan is noisy. I updated the firmware last year. But the maps are very outdated.

On the road so may not respond immediately.
Thanks!
iaqstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaqstuff View Post

1. Do we replace the Maxxfan which has a broken actuator so we can't really open or shut it with the knob with the same model or should we upgrade to a newer model - if so, which one?
2. Do we upgrade the Garmin maps or replace the whole Kenwood unit? There seems to be nothing wrong with it the Kenwood except the fan is noisy. I updated the firmware last year. But the maps are very outdated.

Thanks!
I had a similar issue with my MaxxFan. Replacement parts are available from AIRXCEL. I'm attaching the part catalog. Give them a call and order the parts you need.

I've upgraded my Garmin maps every year with good results. But it looks like the 2017 map update is all that is available now. Not sure if they will update the maps again for this unit due to its age. But if the Kenwood unit is working OK why replace it?

My SiriusXM module stopped holding my subscription. After several calls to their Customer Care people I was able to get a tech that told me the unit had just failed as it was 7 years old. He sent me a new later model and extended my subscription by five months in the process - now that is good customer service.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf r-619c_maxxfan-deluxe-xp-rev-c-04-2016.pdf (631.6 KB, 11 views)
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:

Thanks!

Regarding the Maxxfan gear set. It is about a $12 part and 15-20 minute job. At least that's how long it took me, but if I had to do it again it would only take half the time. The main thing is to be careful up there and have someone spot your ladder.

You need to take a few screws off the rear end of the fan cover (end that opens), tilt up the now detached cover, slightly squeeze the lifting arms and detach them from the support slots on the lid. A few screws remove the broken gear set. Reverse the process to install.

As I recall, you have to back off the gear set about a turn from full open before installing because it's difficult to reinstall if it's in it's fully extended position.

The whole process would not be necessary if they didn't encase the gears in pot metal.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Went back and looked at Boxter's diagram and I may have mis-remembered when I said squeeze the lifting arms to detach them from the top cover. Looks like you spread them slightly, instead. Either way, it's not a hard or too time consuming of a job to replace just the Maxxfan gear sets so long as the rest of the fan is working ok.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:52 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Yarnell , Arizona
Wow! Thanks. That saves us a bundle of time and effort. I guess we were too anal about the wind rattle; hence, we kept tighten it down - too much. Maybe we will try the soft side of Velco to limit the cover's wind rattle while we are topside replacing the crank assy.

You're right - we should update the Garmin one more time instead of replacing the Kenwood unit. But having said that, I sure like the idea of installing the new Android 10.1 inch displays... guess they'll have a model that fits our Sprinters sooner or later.

Again, we appreciate the feedback! We'll use your response . THANKS!
iaqstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
i update from the manual 1200 fantastic fan to the full function wireless 7350 fantastic fan

is was very easy and took less than 1 hour
mostly just the base plus the water detection strip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fan base-2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	342137   Click image for larger version

Name:	new 7350 fan in as22fb.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	320.7 KB
ID:	342138  

Click image for larger version

Name:	new 7350 fan remote in as22fb.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	342139  
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Wow! Thanks. That saves us a bundle of time and effort. I guess we were too anal about the wind rattle; hence, we kept tighten it down - too much. Maybe we will try the soft side of Velco to limit the cover's wind rattle while we are topside replacing the crank assy.
That's probably a good idea to add some add'l cushion to the lid seal.

My rubber seal looks good, but I've had an intermittent rattle (seems mostly affected by road surface) that I've never been able to track down and now that you mention it, it may be the Maxxfan lid. Since the rattle is similar in sound to the rattle when my gear set broke (although much less), I'll probably add a thin open cell foam gasket to the inside of the lid where it meets the rubber seal. If that fixes it, halleluja! I've fixed all other squeaks and rattles and we a very careful to pad anything hard items we pack Rattles bother the heck out of me.