Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2018, 01:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Ponte Vedra Beach , Florida
Replacement Lug Nut Covers

I've lost 2 lug nut covers from my 2018 AI GT. I can get replacements from Airstream for $7 plus shipping but does anyone know an alternative source.
Also, any tricks for keeping these from coming off in the future?
FlStrmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlStrmr View Post
I've lost 2 lug nut covers from my 2018 AI GT. I can get replacements from Airstream for $7 plus shipping but does anyone know an alternative source.
Also, any tricks for keeping these from coming off in the future?
Toss those original lug nuts in the trash, ALL OF THEM, and replace them. Eventually you will get tired of dealing with the junk that is original equipment. Get stainless steel and be done for the next 20 years.
I kept searching online till I found McGard lug nuts on sale for $0.99 each. The bulk purchase of 40 gave me enough for 6 wheels on my 34' (Ebay or Amazon - can't remember)

ps:
I think I have some of those old lug nuts with covers in my storage building. If you can wait until next fall when I return to FL, you are welcome to all.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:13 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
I think I have some of those old lug nuts with covers in my storage building. If you can wait until next fall when I return to FL, you are welcome to all.
Don't waste the postage. Buy the McGards and be through with this issue...forever.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
There was recent thread on this topic over on the Sprinter-Source LTV Unity subforum. They also discussed chrome lug nut replacements. Here is link:
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=64782

Also two sources with lower cost:
https://zips.com/parts-detail/phoeni...printer-c-sp39

http://www.phoenixusa.com/SP39
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Are the McGards an honest-to-God lug nut that looks nice, or just another brand of cover? The Phoenix are just a dimpled cover - not sure why they wouldn't eventually fall off too. Semi tire lug not covers screw onto the outer part of the stud - but I have never seen that type for the Sprinter.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
McGards are an honest, one-piece lug nut. They flat don’t have the crappy cover that splits and falls off when you least expect it.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:11 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Just finished talking to McGard. They do not have a direct cross reference to the lug nut for Sprinter. They asked for and I have furnished them the M/B P/N but they are unable to determine the lug spec. They are VERY helpful and want to help we Sprinter pilots. They are requesting dimensions, ie; thread pitch, depth and chamfer. I do not have access to my rig to respond to them directly presently. I will attempt to get them that info in the next few days.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
The Sprinter wheels center on the hub and not on the lugs, so there is no chamfer to the lug nut. The lug nut sits flat against the wheel, and there is what looks like a washer at one end of the nut. The washer is where the chamfer would normally be. I believe the lug threads are 14 x 1.5 mm.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadJager View Post
Just finished talking to McGard. They do not have a direct cross reference to the lug nut for Sprinter. They asked for and I have furnished them the M/B P/N but they are unable to determine the lug spec. They are VERY helpful and want to help we Sprinter pilots. They are requesting dimensions, ie; thread pitch, depth and chamfer. I do not have access to my rig to respond to them directly presently. I will attempt to get them that info in the next few days.
The Lug Nuts are 14mm Threaded x 1.5

They don't have a chamfer and are open end nuts with a captive flat washer between the wheel and nut. The attached two PDF files from Alcoa talk about the issues related to lug nuts and changes in 2016. They also have photos of the uncovered lug nuts.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:14 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
I had a cap pull off one of my lug nuts last week after a blow out on I-81 in PA. Afterwards, I called Colonial AS and ordered a full set of replacements that they said are "solid" one piece. FYI - my original lug nuts took a 3/4" socket. I think that's standard on all AS. When I stripped the "cap" off the nut, I found that it took an 18mm socket to fit properly. Since then, I heard that a lot of car and truck companies use the same crappy lug nuts as original equipment.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:01 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I don't understand the tech bulletin. It refers to inner dual position and outer dual position and steer wheel. I need to go out and check but I think my front and rear (dual on my 3500) lug nuts are the same. And the lug nut holds both the inner and outer real dual wheels. So why the distinction between inner and outer dual?
Old 05-18-2018, 02:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Never really checked close enough to know we got caps covering nut/washer rather than true 1-pc lug nuts. Hoping McGards can give you some good answers.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:08 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I don't understand the tech bulletin. It refers to inner dual position and outer dual position and steer wheel. I need to go out and check but I think my front and rear (dual on my 3500) lug nuts are the same. And the lug nut holds both the inner and outer real dual wheels. So why the distinction between inner and outer dual?

The front and rear lug nuts are the same. Those technical bulletins are about issues with trying to use Alcoa aluminum wheels in both the outer and inner positions on the rear axle. Airstream Interstates all have the OEM steel wheels on the inner dual rear axle position. Other manufacturers like LTV have offered a six wheel Alcoa option with an Alcoa aluminum wheel on inner dual position.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
I am going nuts over lug nuts As if the dually steel valve extensions were not bad enough.

Name:   im-so-confused.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  28.0 KB
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:31 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Just had a follow-up discussion with McGard on replacement wheel nuts for 3500 Sprinter application with aluminum wheels. They do not manufacture the required nuts. At this point, there was no indication that they were going to bring any to market. As with a lot of companies they may respond to requests for a product if they sense a demand. Collectively we should give a call. I know stainless steel nuts will be initially a bit of a cash outlay but isn't that what we do owning one of these rigs. McGard:800-444-5847. Lug Nuts: 14mmx1.5 open ended nut with a captive flat washer, no camfer. (Anyone, please verify I am correct in this specification and not missing anything).
They were very friendly and helpful. It looks like I will have to get 3 replacement beauty caps to replace my missing ones.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Your description of the lug nut is correct, far as I know. I wonder if we could get Airstream to send one to McGard so they can consider making a nice looking one that does not need a decorative cap. But remember that the 'ugly' stud will show without the decorative cap, even if the lug nut itself looks nice.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:39 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Lake Mary , Florida
Hi guys,
How about these?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...4I3QLOSQ&psc=1
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:34 AM   #18

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
No, there needs to be a taper on the end. Here is a picture of one that I pulled. The taper seats the rim. Those are flat and for a different kind of rim.
Previous post give the specs on shat is needed.

MattiClick image for larger version

Name:	1535898692446.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	321343
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:18 AM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Just had a follow-up discussion with McGard on replacement wheel nuts for 3500 Sprinter application with aluminum wheels. They do not manufacture the required nuts. At this point, there was no indication that they were going to bring any to market. As with a lot of companies they may respond to requests for a product if they sense a demand. Collectively we should give a call. I know stainless steel nuts will be initially a bit of a cash outlay but isn't that what we do owning one of these rigs. McGard:800-444-5847. Lug Nuts: 14mmx1.5 open ended nut with a captive flat washer, no camfer. (Anyone, please verify I am correct in this specification and not missing anything).
They were very friendly and helpful. It looks like I will have to get 3 replacement beauty caps to replace my missing ones.
POI...McGard does NOT use SS.

8yrs still look new. 👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1c9c.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	321344  
Old 12-02-2022, 05:16 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Monterey Park , CA
in case anyone is looking to buy the SP40 lug nut cover for your AI, zips.com has it on cyber monday sale for $3.99 each and use coupon CM22 to get additional 10% off.

https://zips.com/parts-detail/phoeni...printer-c-sp40
lazykenji is offline   Reply With Quote