Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2016, 07:18 PM   #41
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Refer not maintaining temp.

After installing many Danfoss-based marine refrigeration units into Airstreams ( and many SOBs too), I have never had a client experience the problems that have been brought to light in this and other threads.

A properly installed and operating unit should be capable of cooling to the mid 30's with no issues, regardless of the ambient temperatures!!!!!

As far as the Rube Goldberg ( hope you all know who HE was!!!) solutions to your problems, I firmly believe that your dealers and Airstream are grasping at straws.

If you ask the equipment manufacturer ( which is where your operational complaints should be addressed), they would certainly tell you that the addition of these resistors to effectively speed up the compressor is not only discouraged, but will void the warranty on your fridge!!!!

I have seen this with other 'unauthorized hacks' of new components; mainly with roof A/C units and the specific use of larger start capacitors to 'help out' in high temp/humidity environments. Don't think for a second that hacking the fridge system design is a good thing, especially after the manufacturer spent considerable time and expense designing and testing these units prior to offering them for sale.

I would definitely involve Tundra or who ever makes these units to get their take on your non-cooling problems!! Any other solution is one of throwing nonsense (not the actual word I had in mind) against a wall to see what sticks!!!!!

PS: I don't use Tundra units, as I have found the quality and reliability of others to be superior!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:26 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Obviously something needs to be done to remove more heat from the condenser. If the air flow is not somehow vented to the outside, I think it's a lost cause. Bottom line is in order to remove heat from the frig/freezer, that heat has to be moved somewhere, preferably outside. Otherwise you are just moving the heat from the frig and putting it in the cabinetry. Bigger fans won't help if they can't exhaust the heat from the condenser outside.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:47 PM   #43
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Refer not maintaining temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Obviously something needs to be done to remove more heat from the condenser. If the air flow is not somehow vented to the outside, I think it's a lost cause. Bottom line is in order to remove heat from the frig/freezer, that heat has to be moved somewhere, preferably outside. Otherwise you are just moving the heat from the frig and putting it in the cabinetry. Bigger fans won't help if they can't exhaust the heat from the condenser outside.

Sounds like a side wall or roof vent is in order with fans located on the vent to suck out the hot air.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote