Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2024, 12:12 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
, California
Rear view mirror video / driver side blind spot

Well, after reading here on the forums, we were prepared for some thing to break soon …

But this is within minutes…wife drove AI home from the dealer and our new to us 24GL driver side Blindspot mirror worked well…

when I went to start it up and go for a drive, video went intermittent working 5% of the time to not at all. Time to find Some posts here on that and I guess i know what I’ll be troubleshooting tomorrow. Hope to see if my fix happens faster than getting into shop for assessment and warranty repair.
3OnOurWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 12:46 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Canton , Michigan
does any of the video work for you?

If not, it may be the same issue I had recently on my 2017 AI
the monitor itself began working intermittently. Initially it started flickering, then would only work < 10% of the time. It seemed to either work or not work upon starting the van and often if it did work would stop after 10 minutes or so

I replaced it with a new one from the same manufacturer

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/7-rea...-619-nm-1.html

Our model has a multiplexer https://www.rearviewsafety.com/multi...-rvs-501n.html
This was useful for troubleshooting because aside from the 13pin or so harness that goes to the rear view monitor the multiplexer has a RCA video output, I plugged that into a spare TV and confirmed that I had video out so I knew it was not anything upstream

If you go this route be aware that the new monitor is not compatible with the multiplexer, you just have to bypass it. I am happy to provide more details if that time comes
I also opted to leave the mount attached to the windshield and just removed it from the back of the monitor to swap out the new one
h2oski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 01:34 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
, California
Hi thank you.
The passenger side, Blindspot and the rearview mirror work 100%. The driver side Blindspot was initially 100% then went 50% and then zero essentially all within the same five hour window.

Usually I would go back and say well what changed it changed? Was we drove it to our house in the water and no touching the buttons no movement maybe me adjusting the rearview mirror so I’ve adjusted it multiple times trying to see if that helps and it hasn’t so far.

I will check again, though after pulling off the plastic housing around the rearview mirror there is no cable connector multiplexer I can get access to so I’m trying to figure out next path.

I also remove the stereo and quickly looked in there and did not see a way to view mirror connections.

So far looks like I’ll have to remove the overhead cabin light/ map lights housing / reading lights to see any more connections in there.

Thanks !
Old 01-11-2024, 01:55 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Canton , Michigan
the multiplexer is behind the dome light. to remove just pull down on the Passenger side first, the light cover may come off alone, if so just pull down on the backing.. then you will be able to slide out the drivers side

once you have that open you can simply swap the camera cables in the multiplexer to see if its the camera or something else
Old 01-13-2024, 05:14 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
, California
On the 2019+ /VS 30 you can get the dome, light and housing cover to release by sliding a credit card or fold it over thick piece of paper. Wasn’t easiest video to find on YouTube .

It fits right in between the housing that goes all the way around. Toward the rear of the dome light, SOS button drops right down and hangs on a hinge nicely.
Old 02-09-2024, 06:27 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oski View Post
does any of the video work for you?

If not, it may be the same issue I had recently on my 2017 AI
the monitor itself began working intermittently. Initially it started flickering, then would only work < 10% of the time. It seemed to either work or not work upon starting the van and often if it did work would stop after 10 minutes or so

I replaced it with a new one from the same manufacturer

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/7-rea...-619-nm-1.html

Our model has a multiplexer https://www.rearviewsafety.com/multi...-rvs-501n.html
This was useful for troubleshooting because aside from the 13pin or so harness that goes to the rear view monitor the multiplexer has a RCA video output, I plugged that into a spare TV and confirmed that I had video out so I knew it was not anything upstream

If you go this route be aware that the new monitor is not compatible with the multiplexer, you just have to bypass it. I am happy to provide more details if that time comes
I also opted to leave the mount attached to the windshield and just removed it from the back of the monitor to swap out the new one
So, with the new one you bypass the old multiplexer or you purchase/use the linked one?
I purchased the same replacement monitor for my 2016 AI but have not installed it yet and was wondering. When I purchased the replacement last fall they said to bypass the existing multiplexer. Now I just to figure that out.
Heckler56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 09:27 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Canton , Michigan
With the new one you bypass the multiplexer

I used this on the monitor side to connect to the plug that went into the multiplexer

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

you can used the multiplexer manual to see the pin out
https://www.rearviewsafety.com/amfil...2/product/467/

let me know if you have any questions
Old 02-21-2024, 06:33 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oski View Post
With the new one you bypass the multiplexer

I used this on the monitor side to connect to the plug that went into the multiplexer

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

you can used the multiplexer manual to see the pin out
https://www.rearviewsafety.com/amfil...2/product/467/

let me know if you have any questions
So did you clip off the connector on the new monitor? And, clip off the single plug out to the monitor from the multiplexer, Or, clip all 3 plugs from cameras and set them in the new connector?
Old 02-21-2024, 12:35 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Canton , Michigan
First you have to attach the Molex connector to the bare wires on the new wiring harness that came with the new monitor
I don't remember off-hand if its male or female that goes on this, but just unplug the same connector from the multiplexer so you know what is on the other end

replace the monitor *note I unscrewed the mounting bracket from the back of the old and new monitors and just swapped them out without removing the windshield bracket
Feed the cable that is attached to the monitor up to the dome light

Now with the new harness that you have attached the Molex to, remove the RCA camera plugs from the multiplexer and plug them into the new harness
then simply plug the Molex connectors together

No alterations to the original wiring, so if something does not work out you can just plug it all back in the way it was
Old 02-21-2024, 03:14 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Traverse City , Michigan
Thank you!