Old 08-19-2018, 01:24 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
brookhaven , Georgia
Rear tire change and jacking point

I have a 2016 Interstate with rear air suspension. I want to change all four rear tires and am concerned about who should I let do the work.

My local Mercedes/Airstream dealer sent me this note:

JACK POINTS – WE USE THE REAR SHOCK BRACKET THAT IS ON THE DIFFERENTIAL HOUSING WITH A FLOOR JACK OR WE RAISE VEHICLE ON OUR LIFTS AND SUPPORT THE REAR AXLE WITH JACK STANDS WE NORMALLY DON’T REPLACE THE METAL VALVE STEMS WHEN REPLACING TIRES UNLESS THE VEHICLE IS OVER 8 YEARS OLD – METAL STEMS ARE USED ON THE OUTSIDE TIRES / RUBBER ONES ARE ON THE INSIDE TIRES IN THE REAR AND WE DO REPLACE THOSE.

I also visited Discount Tire, and the manager took a look underneath the rear and said he would use a Gray TSL-50 jack on the rear axel. He also said he would likely not change the metal stems, but he would replace the grommets.

Can I please get some feedback on the best solution for jacking and who is the better choice for the tire replacement? The Mercedes/Airstream dealer is used to working on this vehicle, but Discount Tire has almost 1000 locations.

Thanks!
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Personally, I stick with my home Sprinter dealer. I supplied the new metal stems...they said ďno problem ď.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
Personally, I stick with my home Sprinter dealer. I supplied the new metal stems...they said ďno problem ď.

I did the same - had the Mercedes Sprinter dealer add the new long metal stems when I had them install new Michelin tires.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:43 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
Sprinter Dealer

I guess not all Sprinter dealers are the same.

I took my 2017 AI into the Plano TX MB Dealership that is a Sprinter Dealer/Service for error code that came up (was bad wire). I had already purchased the metal stems from Wachuko's list and asked if they would do it... they said they didn't do that and recommended a tire shop.

Wasn't sure about Discount Tire but do see the FedEx vans there occasionally.

I also have the air suspension... and have the TST and Metal stems in hand... just not installed yet.
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:33 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
brookhaven , Georgia
Thanks to all for replying, but to focus more on the main topic, I'm interested in who has the most expertise and best equipment pertaining to the jacking of the vehicle and lifting points.
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:09 PM   #6
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by coasttocoast View Post
Thanks to all for replying, but to focus more on the main topic, I'm interested in who has the most expertise and best equipment pertaining to the jacking of the vehicle and lifting points.
COASTTOCOAST - it seems to me the previous responses tried to answer this. It is an MB Sprinter after all, so I would bring it to an MB dealer that has a Sprinter division . In Las Vegas, there is a different division for Sprinters only, completely different shop from where I bring my S500 sedan. They ought have the most expertise and best equipment pertaining to jacking of the vehicle and lifting points.

But it is very rare that I buy replacement tires from dealerships. They just do not have the different choices I could get at a REAL tire shop. In Las Vegas, we have what is called Commercial Truck Tire Shops. They are used to servicing much larger & heavier trucks & MH/RV than your standard shop like Discount Tires. If that's your need, bring it there. Most Discount Tires here (or from reading forum posts) seem to not have issues replacing tires on Sprinters.

Your vehicle, your choice.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , North Carolina
page 269
https://assets.mbvans.com/Mercedes-B...713.1534792220