Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
MeandMB

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Selbyville , Delaware
Rear Monitor

Has anyone replaced their Pyle Monitor yet? The one we received with our 2014 Ext. cab keeps cutting in and our. Went to Colonial for some warranty work and it still occasionally fails. Can't keep running back to Colonial from MD don't feel the product it worth the effort. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
MeandMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Thought about it. Haven't done it. When I shift from forward to reverse, the monitor switches to camera 2, except there isn't a camera 2 so the monitor tells me "No Signal.". I just have to reach up and manually switch it back to camera 1. It's an annoyance, but only an annoyance and not worth spending a few hundred dollars just to avoid a one-second button-push when I shift into reverse.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:35 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Park City , UT
I'm debating the same and would appreciate any input. Mine cuts in and out all of the time. I took all the connectors apart, cleaned them well and reassembled and secured with electrical tape. No luck. Still cutting in and out all of the time. I have the panel cover off in the 'header cubby hole' so that I can reach in there and jiggle the wires to get the camera to work again. There is a loose connection or bad wire in there somewhere; I just haven't been able to isolate/locate it after multiple attempts. I think it will be more worth my time and effort to just replace the entire system.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
kaylorsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:24 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Boonville , Missouri
Switch to Kenwood Monitor

We abandoned our Pyle monitor in favor of using the monitor in the Kenwood unit. Elsewhere in this forum is an exceptionally well written article (with step by step instructions, and pictures!) of how to move the video inputs from the Pyle to the Kenwood. I also installed a switch that fools my Kenwood head into thinking I'm putting the vehicle in reverse, so I can turn on the camera anytime I want. Additionally, my Kenwood unit has a split-screen mode where I can put the gps and camera views on side by side during normal operation. The main reason I went to this effort though, was not the Pyle monitor. Rather, it was to regain the functionality of my rear view mirror. I have some young kids that I like to have an eye on from time to time.
NewOldDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:37 AM   #5

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOldDad View Post
The main reason I went to this effort though, was not the Pyle monitor. Rather, it was to regain the functionality of my rear view mirror. I have some young kids that I like to have an eye on from time to time.
I suppose that's a more elegant solution than hooking up a nanny-cam to the Interstate's ceiling behind the driver's head and sending its feed to the Pyle's "Camera 2" input…
Old 08-14-2014, 02:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
My Pyle monitor quit altogether at about two years and was replaced under warranty. So far, so good.

I use a clip-on visor mirror to monitor the little ones.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Portland , Oregon
Check the options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Thought about it. Haven't done it. When I shift from forward to reverse, the monitor switches to camera 2, except there isn't a camera 2 so the monitor tells me "No Signal.". I just have to reach up and manually switch it back to camera 1. It's an annoyance, but only an annoyance and not worth spending a few hundred dollars just to avoid a one-second button-push when I shift into reverse.
I also have a 2012 and mine does not do that I wonder if you go to the menu on the monitor you can set it so it does not think there is a second camera?
bennu36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Mine does some "blinking" too. I turn it off most of the time while driving anyway and just use the side mirrors. When off, the monitor still comes on when put into reverse.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:25 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
My OE camera went out (monitor is Pyle, but camera is Pioneer) causing the blinking screen many are describing. It was replaced under warranty about a year ago. That required extensive dis-assembly to the cabinets along drivers side of coach to facilitate pulling the new wire all the way from the rear to the front of the vehicle. Now it is starting to do the blinking again. .. and my warranty just expired.
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
It is not the monitor or camera-it is most likely caused by the fuse assembly to the monitor located in the street side overhead cabinet over the drivers seat. To locate it you must remove the street side side overhead wall panel. In the lower center area just over the top of the door frame you will find a rat's nest of wires Just carefully pull then from the lower space and you will find a fuse. Untangle the mess and stretch the spring holding the fuse. Put some tape around the wire to keep the fuse tight against the spring. No more cutting out. Most likely that is all that is wrong with anyone's monitor whose camera or monitor is cutting out. If figured this out on my own after replacing the monitor three times-once at my expense. Have not had a problem since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeandMB View Post
Has anyone replaced their Pyle Monitor yet? The one we received with our 2014 Ext. cab keeps cutting in and our. Went to Colonial for some warranty work and it still occasionally fails. Can't keep running back to Colonial from MD don't feel the product it worth the effort. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:00 PM   #11

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
To locate it you must remove the street side side overhead wall panel.
Not the only in-line fuse installed where it's hard to reach; the fuse for the LPG detector in mine apparently is behind the full-height wardrobe closet rear panel where I have to disassemble the wardrobe to get at it.

The folks who design the interiors of these vehicles obviously are not engineers. Engineers understand the need to change fuses.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
I bet you that the issue is the same as mine-the fuse holder on the monitor's power cable above the driver side door is flaky. That was likely all that was wrong to begin with. Who did the disassembly? The reason I ask is because I want to replace my backup camera with a new one and can't figure out how to run the wires. It looks like the cabinets just are held on with screws on each end. Do you know if that is correct.? I know the wire comes in over the curbside rear compartment and runs to the streetside but it appears they used a zip tie as something is holding its in the ceiling where I can't reach it. I figure they zip tied it to the antenna cable somewhere up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ240 View Post
My OE camera went out (monitor is Pyle, but camera is Pioneer) causing the blinking screen many are describing. It was replaced under warranty about a year ago. That required extensive dis-assembly to the cabinets along drivers side of coach to facilitate pulling the new wire all the way from the rear to the front of the vehicle. Now it is starting to do the blinking again. .. and my warranty just expired.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:02 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Atlanta , Georgia
Hmmm Protag, not sure I'd give them credit for not being engineers for that one. That's more in the realm of common sense, and knowing what you are doing after a few decades of building RV's.

The really sad part is this does not cost a company a single penny extra to do the right way. In fact it saves the manufacturer money when there is a failure in warranty period.

Airstream, here is a thought for your consideration. Since most of us have experienced the failing camera issue, why not design it such that the power and video lines are permanent (i.e. not cheap Chinese crap prone to shorts) and you can easily switch out the monitor and camera ends with male/female connectors without tearing out the innards of the vehicle. As a side benefit, when the technology improves your customers are able to upgrade either end without ridiculous effort.
AtlantaCpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:21 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
Rear Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

There actually a simple fix for that. Your rear view camera is connected to the wrong input. I have a front camera installed tommy Pyle as well as the rear view. If the front camera is selected it automatically switches when you put the rv in reverse.

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
jquayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:03 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
2015 Interstate Coach
Bandon , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOldDad View Post
We abandoned our Pyle monitor in favor of using the monitor in the Kenwood unit. Elsewhere in this forum is an exceptionally well written article (with step by step instructions, and pictures!) of how to move the video inputs from the Pyle to the Kenwood. I also installed a switch that fools my Kenwood head into thinking I'm putting the vehicle in reverse, so I can turn on the camera anytime I want. Additionally, my Kenwood unit has a split-screen mode where I can put the gps and camera views on side by side during normal operation. The main reason I went to this effort though, was not the Pyle monitor. Rather, it was to regain the functionality of my rear view mirror. I have some young kids that I like to have an eye on from time to time.
This is great to know. Can you provide the article's location, please?
Rapa Nui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapa Nui View Post
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...on-113472.html

The author is quite a genius and provided us with a well-written pdf too.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:17 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
2015 Interstate Coach
Bandon , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapa Nui View Post
Thank you. Just finished reading the pdf and it reads far more complicated than it actually is (as is usual for any form of direction). Will give it a go. Again, thanks for the link.
Rapa Nui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:13 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Boonville , Missouri
Thank you UKDUDE. I've been off the forum a couple of days...
NewOldDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:09 AM   #19
MeandMB

Selbyville , Delaware
Thanks

Thanks for all the help and advise and will eventually figure it all out and let u know the results.

Joe
MeandMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:34 PM   #20

2012 Interstate Coach
Scottsdale , Arizona
Back camera driving me nuts

Have had my Interstate to authorized dealer for repairs 3-4 times, and now back again. It is good for 30 min to 2 hrs then starts acting up. Haven't been able to come up with a pattern. The comments about the fuse holder maybe is the solution and I will pass that on to dealer.
kenlbeck is offline   Reply With Quote