Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-14-2017, 03:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Rear light out/warning

So a few months ago when I reversed, I got the bad reverse lamp warning in the dash (whatever it is called). Checked and indeed the driver side reverse tail light was out. Took it to Mercedes dealer yesterday thinking it was a dead bulb. After some time they come and tell me they put in a new light and it still would not light up.

They then looked further and saw that something was tapped into the wiring. They blamed it on that and said there was nothing else they could do.

I am assuming the tap is for the camera to detect reverse gear. The service guy said there is a computer under dash and that is where they should have tapped into (he didn't seem to know more than that).

I have not yet opened the thing to see for myself but thought to ask if anyone else has seen this. Strange that the problem was not there for a good year or so we owned the AI. The reverse camera works as always with the unit coming on when I put it in reverse. So power must be going to that lead. Why the light doesn't come on is strange.

Anyone have any ideas or seen this before? I like to investigate this prior to taking it to Airstream as I doubt they would know what to do about this.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 03:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Does the reverse light work when the camera is in the always-on mode? Do you want to have the camera function only when in reverse? I leave mine on all the time. I wonder if the reverse light would work if you were to disconnect the wire tap and simply use the camera continuously? Will be interesting to see how this battle turns out for you - since you are still under warranty.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:52 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Cedar Park , Texas
Had the same issue. The Sprinter guys disconnected the camera feed and now everything works fine. Camera works and no warning lights. My Airstream tech had never heard of the issue.
billramp is offline   Reply With Quote