Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2018, 12:06 PM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Rear Door Window Mod

The rear door windows and blinds have bugged me. We have never opened the blinds (tho they have partially slid down a time or two) since we have owned the coach. A lot of heat comes in from the rear.

Today, I temporarily removed the upper rear door liners and removed the day-night blinds. I intend to permanently blank out the rear windows with insulated black covers over the entire window surface. The opening where the blind was mounted will be filled with 1/4" plywood, laminated with Asian Sand laminate to match the rest of the interior surfaces. I disconnected the rear window defrosters and tucked the wires out of the way after insuring that no error indications occur.

I may build out the front of the liners a bit to make the former window openings into useful storage bins. I think the laminate will make it look less like a delivery van.

I have two like-new rear blinds for free to anyone who will pick them up. I will not ship them. I live just SW of Austin, TX.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I filled my rear door windows with insulation and installed some beach scene fabric covers with snaps over the window openings. Those blinds from Airstream are a real pain as the string kept breaking on mine. Here a couple of photos of the doors.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170705_194935600_iOS.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	316929Click image for larger version

Name:	20170705_202211880_iOS.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	283.4 KB
ID:	316930
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
We have never opened the blinds (tho they have partially slid down a time or two) since we have owned the coach. A lot of heat comes in from the rear.
JOHN - we never do either. And since I can not see through the rearwindows when driving & I installed a high shelf that blocks view even when parked, I may do what you did. But may wait from results of your mod to see if it makes big difference in radiated heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I filled my rear door windows with insulation and installed some beach scene fabric covers with snaps over the window openings. Those blinds from Airstream are a real pain as the string kept breaking on mine. Here a couple of photos of the doors.
Attachment 316929Attachment 316930
MIKE - does the insulation make big diff? How come my 2018 does not have all them storage pockets mid & top side?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180508_110100-1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	316953  
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:28 PM   #4
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
MIKE - does the insulation make big diff? How come my 2018 does not have all them storage pockets mid & top side?
Mine has pockets under the window openings that are too shallow to be of any real use. I'll probably put stretchy nets on them to hold things such as my 50a to 30a adapter. As they are now, things just fall out of them. The parts catalog calls them "Buckets."

I have no storage above the windows.

I also have built a shelf across the back, a foot below the overhead storage. When it is loaded with our usual tubs of towels and the like, it almost completely blocks the back windows. Plus I have a number of decals on the windows.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-14-2018, 10:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Plus I have a number of decals on the windows.
JOHN - my decals pretty sparse for now, having been AI owner just 4mos. Only got Wally, AIR, MB Club. I hope to add more
Old 07-15-2018, 12:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post

Don't know if insulation makes a big difference - but I thought it couldn't hurt given the large glass area.

Mine came with the lower and middle storage pockets. I added a net to keep stuff in the middle pocket since it is so shallow.

I added the storage pocket at top. Need every cubic inch in a B-van. They are made by hein over on Sprinter-Source forum. He sells via his company Impact inc. and his eBay store. Good stuff.

http://www.impact3d.com/sprinter_products.htm
Old 07-15-2018, 02:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
They are made by hein over on Sprinter-Source forum. He sells via his company Impact inc. and his eBay store. Good stuff.
MIKE - Thank you for Hein info. Looking it over.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:21 AM   #8
Contributing Member

Going the long way

I ordered another sheet of matching laminate for this and other mods. The laminate is manufactured in Belton, TX, about 1 1/2 hours straight north on I-35 from here in Austin. I have been watching the shipping progress with fascination.

The laminate went in a big quadrangle to Houston, about 5 1/2 hours from Belton, then to San Antonio, about 1 1/2 hours south of here , then to Austin. It is out for delivery at the moment, but it will probably get here about 7, this evening, if our usual delivery pattern holds.

I already have the 1/4" plywood cut to close off the rear door window openings. I have also used spray adhesive to apply glass mat insulation to the back of the upper rear door covers.

I would like to also insulate the bottom of the doors, but where the top covers are easily removable with about 6 screws each, the bottoms are as installed by Mercedes and are a hassle to remove and reinstall.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-16-2018, 05:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
I would like to also insulate the bottom of the doors, but where the top covers are easily removable with about 6 screws each, the bottoms are as installed by Mercedes and are a hassle to remove and reinstall.
JOHN - You & MIKE have really lit the "inspiration light bulb" in me to do this also. But I have not researched yet the hassle to remove bottom panels. Is it a big hassle that you decided to not insulate the bottoms? I have all the different sizes of nylon/plastic trim removal kit. If it's just a matter of destroying a few of the sacrificial clips, I would still do it and buy the replacement clips. I think it would be worth the trouble.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:37 PM   #10
Contributing Member

The top door liners are just very thin plastic, while the bottom door liners are stouter and would seem to me to provide a bit more insulation.

I removed one of the bottoms earlier when I was going to install a license-plate camera that I had from before. I broke a number of the fasteners in the process.

I suspect there is a trick to getting the liner off with less damage to the fasteners. I'll ask the tech the next time I am up for service and nab some spare fasteners. The folks at Georgetown Mercedes are really helpful, but it is a 50-mile jaunt up there so I store up my questions until I go for service.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-16-2018, 06:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
The top door liners are just very thin plastic, while the bottom door liners are stouter and would seem to me to provide a bit more insulation.

I removed one of the bottoms earlier when I was going to install a license-plate camera that I had from before. I broke a number of the fasteners in the process.

I suspect there is a trick to getting the liner off with less damage to the fasteners. I'll ask the tech the next time I am up for service and nab some spare fasteners. The folks at Georgetown Mercedes are really helpful, but it is a 50-mile jaunt up there so I store up my questions until I go for service.
JOHN - the clips look identical to my S500 sedan. My experience with these green clips is that it is a 33/33/33% chance of popping green clip successfully, breaking green clip, or breaking the trim panel tabs. I think my trim removal tools can get to the clips without breaking the tabs. The trick is to get the tool between green clip & sheetmetal, not between green clip & plastic tab. Also, just pulling on panel without using trim removal tools will definitely break green clips or tabs or both. I agree with you, best not to pull on the panel without trim removal tools.

Name:	20180716_171106-1.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	388.2 KB
ID:	317158

This pic shows top tab intact but bottom tab broken off, with green clips left inside sheetmetal.

Name:	img_20170108_114425893_hdr-1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	317156

Location of clips. Mirror image other door.

Name:	img_20170108_114858445.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	339.3 KB
ID:	317157
Old 07-17-2018, 01:04 PM   #12
Contributing Member

Ready to inastall

I laminated the filler panels this morning to match the balance of the coach interior. The bottoms of the former window openings are covered with glued-on black marine bunker padding. I will eventually put nets over the bottom thirds of the openings so we can use them for useful storage; magazines and the like. The openings are about 2 1/2" deep.

There will be black insulating pieces covering the big door windows, so I could not use glass insulation in those narrow spaces. I glued aluminum cloth on the parts of the inner liner closest to the window to help reflect radiated heat. I haven't made the black window covers yet.

I attached the glass insulation with spray cement. When I take the liners to the storage to install them, I will use a scissors to trim the glass to the rough contours of the door so that it is not compressed and loses effectiveness.

I think we will like this a lot better than the useless blinds that we never opened and extra storage is always welcome. I think this will reduce the heat load in the rear.

The photos were taken with the panels leaning against my Smart tow car in some nice shade by my workshop. It is in the mid 90s today.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180717_134537.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	366.2 KB
ID:	317253   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180717_134613.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	491.9 KB
ID:	317254  

WBCCI #9632
Old 07-17-2018, 01:27 PM   #13
Contributing Member

By the way, there is a plywood strip above and below the window opening. The blinds are mounted on these strips. I stapled the new laminate panels to these strips with my air stapler. I then cut the surrounding plastic down to the level of the laminate backing.

The plastic is edged with "trim loc", a rubber cover. It is not glued and simply pulls off by hand. The strips of trim loc will find good use in some future mod.

The trim loc originally touched the glass. Cutting the plastic back makes room for the insulated cover on the glass.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-17-2018, 04:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
The photos were taken with the panels leaning against my Smart tow car in some nice shade by my workshop. It is in the mid 90s today.
JOHN - that looks really nice. I thought you were just going to completely cover the entire top panel (like MIKE did). Now, with your pics, realize you kept the blind opening cut-out to make into a storage area.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:29 PM   #15
Contributing Member

While eating dinner, I had one of my frequent virtual lightbulbs (ideas) turn on.

I have a number of pieces of Lexan in the shop. I will put pieces of Lexan across the lower third of the old window openings and use the Trim-loc that I removed from the back edges of the door liner to trim and stiffen the top edge of the Lexan. That will make the openings into useful storage.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-18-2018, 02:03 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
While eating dinner, I had one of my frequent virtual lightbulbs (ideas) turn on.

I have a number of pieces of Lexan in the shop. I will put pieces of Lexan across the lower third of the old window openings and use the Trim-loc that I removed from the back edges of the door liner to trim and stiffen the top edge of the Lexan. That will make the openings into useful storage.
That is a good idea to create yet another storage pocket in those back doors - thanks.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:26 PM   #17
Contributing Member

I installed the door liners to get them out of my shop until my insulation mat is ready to cover the entire window surfaces. I will finish things up when I bring the AI home next, including the Lexan across the openings..

I think the result looks good from inside. The blinds were largely obscured by the shelf I added and really never looked right. The matching laminate tie things together visually.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180718_131931.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	317386   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180718_132755.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	317387  

WBCCI #9632
Old 07-18-2018, 02:43 PM   #18
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
That looks great. I am so going to copy what you did... I mean... you have inspired me to modify mine in a similar way

I will order the laminate that matches the TB interior...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:05 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
Saulsbury , Tennessee
Rear window insulation

I found a site for custom window black out screens. I used them on my interstate and excella 500. Easy to install and insulated kept dark during daylight. Works great for heat and cold. The site is Bugfree RV. Net and sales contact is Trentyuhas@gmail.com
Vintage Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:59 PM   #20

Currently Looking...
2019 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Spicewood , Arkansas
Hi Pahaska
Do you still have your rear door blinds ? I need some.
Flybabe is offline   Reply With Quote